08-30-2014, 02:48 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Does anyone have experience with Go-Pro cameras? I am considering getting the surf model but was wondering if it can double as a regular video camera.

46 18,082
 08-30-2014, 03:32 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I have to admit that I have been curious about those. I assume the surf model you mention, Phil, is waterproof but are there different locking attachments to them? I really know nothing about these but the concept intrigues me.

2 11,211
 08-30-2014, 03:35 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
I believe that all of the go-pro cameras are waterproof but the surf model comes with special attachments for a surf board (I think).

46 18,082
 08-30-2014, 04:31 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Ah. I've been looking on Amazon, just to get an idea of cameras/reviews/etc.

Reviews seem to run the gamut.

2 11,211
 08-30-2014, 07:07 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(08-30-2014, 04:31 PM)freddy Wrote: Ah. I've been looking on Amazon, just to get an idea of cameras/reviews/etc.

Reviews seem to run the gamut.

Yes, I agree. I am definitely going to hold off.

46 18,082
 08-30-2014, 07:19 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Honestly, the more I look the less interested I am. Frankly, the demo videos don't look all that great.

2 11,211
 08-30-2014, 11:06 PM
User Info
The GoPro (and other so called 'action cameras') are nice little cameras that fills a particular niche in the market, but in my experience they don't make for good general use video cameras.

I'm seriously considering getting one for use as a helmet camera while biking and on my scooter, but I can't see it replacing my digital camcorder.

3 4,373
 08-31-2014, 08:38 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Thanks for your input, Hans. After doing a little research, I don't think I'll get one. The few times they might come in handy simply does not justify the price for me.

2 11,211
 08-31-2014, 09:41 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
My experience with them, granted none of it personal just friends and colleagues that use them, are that they are not the primary system. They are used to fill the void of POV, low angle, odd angle, etcetera.

They love that they can combine this footage as well as the other footage they have though. You can put them just about anywhere as they are light and versatile little cameras.

I think you would enjoy them in your paddle boarding though Phil. They would be an excellent fit for you and would give you the type of footage that you are looking for with out having to invest thousands of dollars in cameras and housings.

18 1,186
 08-31-2014, 09:51 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(08-31-2014, 09:41 AM)CRAusmus Wrote: My experience with them, granted none of it personal just friends and colleagues that use them, are that they are not the primary system. They are used to fill the void of POV, low angle, odd angle, etcetera.

They love that they can combine this footage as well as the other footage they have though. You can put them just about anywhere as they are light and versatile little cameras.

I think you would enjoy them in your paddle boarding though Phil. They would be an excellent fit for you and would give you the type of footage that you are looking for with out having to invest thousands of dollars in cameras and housings.

Thank you Clinton; I am still definitely considering it.

46 18,082
 08-31-2014, 09:56 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Clinton, do your friends have any particular favorites or brands to avoid. Go-Pro is obviously the big name. However, when looking on Amazon, every brand and style seems to have strong opinions, both positive and negative, very often almost evenly divided.

2 11,211
 08-31-2014, 04:55 PM
  • mr.jvb
  • Ontario Canada
User Info
I've got an extra bios bullet cam 5.0 sitting here, brand new. Send me your address and I'll mail it off to you.

1 12
 08-31-2014, 07:02 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I would stick with the Go-Pro. They have proven the most durable for Downhill mountain biking, skiing (water and snow), and motorcycling in my experience. Friends have tried some of the others however they fall short. The Video quality is excellent and the still photos as well. I have no problem using it for shooting any type of video.

59 4,387
 08-31-2014, 08:57 PM
User Info
My impression is that GoPro focuses on being small, solid, and simple cameras... most of the others seems to either be built cheaply (which is good, if your budget is smaller) or have some form of gimmick that you may or may not need (like GPS).

The one I'm considering is the HERO3+ Silver Edition - I don't need more than full HD, and it has slightly better battery life than the Black Edition. YMMV off course, depending on what you are going to use it for.

3 4,373
 09-01-2014, 12:48 PM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
(08-31-2014, 09:56 AM)freddy Wrote: Clinton, do your friends have any particular favorites or brands to avoid. Go-Pro is obviously the big name. However, when looking on Amazon, every brand and style seems to have strong opinions, both positive and negative, very often almost evenly divided.

Unfortunately Freddy I can't answer that. The friends I have that have used them have just stuck with them. They've been happy with GoPro and haven't had any reason to stray.

18 1,186
 09-01-2014, 02:55 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Thanks, Clinton. I've been looking at a couple of brands (Mobius wide angle and SJ4000) and the more I read/watch demonstrated, the crazier I get. Talk about TMI! Something that I thought was just buy and play isn't necessarily so. Confused

2 11,211
 09-02-2014, 07:53 AM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
(09-01-2014, 02:55 PM)freddy Wrote: Thanks, Clinton. I've been looking at a couple of brands (Mobius wide angle and SJ4000) and the more I read/watch demonstrated, the crazier I get. Talk about TMI! Something that I thought was just buy and play isn't necessarily so. Confused

No problem. Sorry I wasn't more help in your search. This technology is actually pretty awesome. You are seeing a lot more amateur film makers using these in their projects because of price and quality of video. And GoPro is pushing the envelope with each new release they come out with so it does have a lot of potential.

18 1,186
 09-02-2014, 01:21 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(09-02-2014, 07:53 AM)CRAusmus Wrote:
(09-01-2014, 02:55 PM)freddy Wrote: Thanks, Clinton. I've been looking at a couple of brands (Mobius wide angle and SJ4000) and the more I read/watch demonstrated, the crazier I get. Talk about TMI! Something that I thought was just buy and play isn't necessarily so. Confused

No problem. Sorry I wasn't more help in your search. This technology is actually pretty awesome. You are seeing a lot more amateur film makers using these in their projects because of price and quality of video. And GoPro is pushing the envelope with each new release they come out with so it does have a lot of potential.

While Go-Pro has the name, they also have the price. The two I mentioned above are both getting some very nice reviews at a fraction of the cost so I can see if I like the concept and how far I might take it. I keep going back and forth but right now I'm leaning a bit more towards the Mobius wide angle. I would have to get a waterproof case for it as it is not included but it is only £15.00 or $21.00 for that.

2 11,211
 09-02-2014, 01:31 PM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
(09-02-2014, 01:21 PM)freddy Wrote:
(09-02-2014, 07:53 AM)CRAusmus Wrote:

While Go-Pro has the name, they also have the price. The two I mentioned above are both getting some very nice reviews at a fraction of the cost so I can see if I like the concept and how far I might take it. I keep going back and forth but right now I'm leaning a bit more towards the Mobius wide angle. I would have to get a waterproof case for it as it is not included but it is only £15.00 or $21.00 for that.

If it's getting good reviews, and it's in your price range, I'd go for it. That's one thing about people. They aren't shy about sharing their experiences, especially when they don't like the stuff.

On that note, one thing I like to do when I'm researching is read the negative reviews. In most cases you find the folks that give one and two stars, don't understand how to properly use the item, or just find it difficult to use (user error in other words); and the folks that give three and four stars, are usually the folks that just don't believe anything is worth 5 stars, but they are extremely happy with the item. Probably just me, but that's how I do my research anyway...LOL...

18 1,186
 09-02-2014, 01:35 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(09-02-2014, 01:31 PM)CRAusmus Wrote:
(09-02-2014, 01:21 PM)freddy Wrote:
(09-02-2014, 07:53 AM)CRAusmus Wrote: No problem. Sorry I wasn't more help in your search. This technology is actually pretty awesome. You are seeing a lot more amateur film makers using these in their projects because of price and quality of video. And GoPro is pushing the envelope with each new release they come out with so it does have a lot of potential.

If it's getting good reviews, and it's in your price range, I'd go for it. That's one thing about people. They aren't shy about sharing their experiences, especially when they don't like the stuff.

On that note, one thing I like to do when I'm researching is read the negative reviews. In most cases you find the folks that give one and two stars, don't understand how to properly use the item, or just find it difficult to use (user error in other words); and the folks that give three and four stars, are usually the folks that just don't believe anything is worth 5 stars, but they are extremely happy with the item. Probably just me, but that's how I do my research anyway...LOL...

Funny you should say that, Clinton. I tend to read the newest reviews first, read a few of the 4-5 star reviews, and then go on to the negatives. If there are a lot of negatives then that sends up a red flag to me. However, if there are only a few, some of them are so out of line as to be funny.

2 11,211