08-30-2014, 04:07 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
I've been speaking to my oldest brother about his shave gear and want to get him some more. Economically he can't afford to buy anything, but ignoring that he helped my wife and I with anything when we were first married.

He enjoys a good shave and I have some basic info about what he likes and I would like some opinions from you guys about what may be best to buy.

His only lineup is a Fatboy (dialed to 5), feather blades, Lider SC, some kit brush (silvertip I believe), and drugstore aftershave.

I'm looking for a modern razor and a good brush...probably Simpson (other brands are more than welcome...I only know Simpson).

Any input for the razor or brush?

For the razor I was thinking of a EJ/Muhle but I don't know how if they are comparable to the aggression on the Fatboy....

1 608
 08-31-2014, 12:43 PM
User Info
Luke, I would go with a Weber PH seeing that it is all-stainless steel and easily as aggressive as a Fatboy on 5 and quite inexpensive. A Merkur Progress is also a very good option as it is a modern adjustable which he might like.
For brushes, there are so many options; Simpsons, Wet Shaving Products, Thaters, Shavemac; the list is too long.
Good luck.

83 21,115
 08-31-2014, 09:32 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
If he's already got a silvertip, I'd get him the Weber and the price of a nice brush in good soaps for a bit of variety.
Or, get him a nice Muhle synthetic.

2 1,695
 08-31-2014, 10:50 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Merkur Progress razor
Muhle Synthetic brush
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Alt Innsbruck

He will never forget a wonderful gift like this.

179 23,941
 09-01-2014, 11:48 PM
User Info
Merkur 1904
Semogue Owners Club Boar w/Cherry handle
D.R. Harris Arlington shave soap
Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet ASB
Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet Cologne

Feathers or Polsilvers

More expensive gear will not give a better shave but the Penhaligons will haunt him for life. No BS

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

1 628