08-30-2014, 05:41 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
When I read Brian's introduction to TSN a week or so ago describing his wife's shaving and bath soaps, I thought that I would look into it and support them if I could (they have new twins and need all the support they can get). The ingredients of Shannon's soaps looked promising, and the prices were right, so I ordered a puck of her tallow based shaving soap and one bar of bath soap, and told Shannon that I would report my findings if favorable. My initial impressions are that we have yet another new artisan producing excellent soaps. The shaving soap lathered very easily, and almost exploded into a rich, thick, slick lather, and left my skin feeling great all day. Currently, Shannon offers four scents, and promises that there are more to come. I chose Silk Pajamas, intrigued by the thought of something different. The description is, "A sophisticated blend of tobacco blossom with caramel and notes of mandarin, honey and rose." I picked up mostly the floral notes, and found the scent quite pleasant. The Strawberries & Champagne bath soap (I'm too old to order Sex on the Beach) performed equally well and had a very pleasant scent. I found the performance of Shannon's soaps to be on par with Tiki Bar. I've included photos of the soaps that I tried with a list of the ingredients. I wish Brian and Shannon success in their new venture into shaving soaps.
Addendum 9/2/14: I've been finding Silk Pajamas almost intoxicating, and the performance of this soap is just terrific. It will certainly be in my rotation.
[Image: Ah08tmx.jpg]

38 5,108
 08-30-2014, 10:08 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Thanks for sharing Richard! What exciting times to have so many wonderful artisan soaps available to wet shavers Biggrin!

34 1,628
 09-01-2014, 06:43 AM
User Info
(08-30-2014, 10:08 PM)Giorgio Wrote: Thanks for sharing Richard! What exciting times to have so many wonderful artisan soaps available to wet shavers Biggrin!

+1

83 21,077
 09-01-2014, 10:00 AM
User Info
Thanks for sharing after I get some of my shaving cream used up I'll give Shannons soap a try.

0 190
 09-02-2014, 10:37 AM
User Info
Looks like a nice soap. Thanks for the review.

2 1,455
 09-03-2014, 11:35 AM
User Info
They have a nice tutorial on how to lather it up.

0 1,007
 09-10-2014, 10:16 AM
User Info
I've used Shannon's soaps the past two days and it is on par with my top 3. It should have its own category because the consistency of the lather is unlike anything out there. I really can't describe it other than to say it is the densest lather I've used without sacrificing glide. Also great for anyone having trouble with their lather because I couldn't make this soap foam if I tried.

Also her shampoo bars are the only ones I'll be using and I've tried a lot.

4 355
 09-19-2014, 08:04 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Alright, so I received Silk Pajamas earlier in the week and have been using it ever since. Wow...what a hidden little gem this soap has turned out to be!

The lather is incredibly creamy and slick. From my recent acquisitions, it reminds of CRSW Select line. The scent is excellent and unlike anything else in my den...Richard described it well, I get clean, floral with some light musk. The most incredible feature of this soap that I found is the post-shave feel...I find it very close, if not the same, as MW (which is saying a lot as MW was unmatched in my den in this department). The softness of my face after a shave is simply on another level.

Overall, this soap delivers on all levels, and it performs WELL above its price point. I'm glad we have another artisan making such amazing soaps, and Shannon's Soaps is another serious contender in my den. I also picked up shampoo bars and those are fantastic as well. For anyone considering trying it out, I can't imagine you'd be disappointed Wink.

34 1,628
 09-28-2014, 10:00 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
What other scents do you all like, and a small little description from your shnozola would help too! I'm intrigued, ingredients sound great, reviews are positive and my sister's name is Shannon(Not that I want to think of her when I shave, but regardless this is a coincidence I can't deny and a lovely name for a soap company).

4 794
 09-29-2014, 10:00 AM
User Info
(09-28-2014, 10:00 PM)LORDBISHOP Wrote: What other scents do you all like, and a small little description from your shnozola would help too! I'm intrigued, ingredients sound great, reviews are positive and my sister's name is Shannon(Not that I want to think of her when I shave, but regardless this is a coincidence I can't deny and a lovely name for a soap company).

Just ordered a few more scents so I'll get back to you shortly. It's really the consistency of the lather that makes this soap unique. I'd even order it if there was only unscented.

4 355
 09-29-2014, 10:50 AM
User Info
(09-29-2014, 10:00 AM)Shakamoto Wrote: Just ordered a few more scents so I'll get back to you shortly. It's really the consistency of the lather that makes this soap unique. I'd even order it if there was only unscented.

* Now, I am intrigued, more and more, and can't wait to try it when it arrives. Biggrin

83 21,077
 09-29-2014, 11:37 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I'm very interested to hear your thoughts Celestino Biggrin

34 1,628
 09-29-2014, 01:58 PM
User Info
(09-29-2014, 11:37 AM)Giorgio Wrote: I'm very interested to hear your thoughts Celestino Biggrin

Giorgio, I am looking foward to giving them to you! Biggrin

83 21,077
 09-29-2014, 06:08 PM
  • DaveL
  • Houston, Texas
User Info
I just finished browsing her site. I think I'll be buying from her in the future.

2 128
 09-29-2014, 08:56 PM
  • cmh8890
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
Nice review evnpar! About a week or two ago I received three tins of Shannon's Soaps. I stumbled across them by accident and decided to blindly try it based on the ingredients. I got the Barbershop, Lavender Ylang Ylang, and the Silk Pajamas. I didn't care too much for the scent of Barbershop (too "perfumey" for me), nor the scent of the LYY (can't really put my finger on it; just didn't care for it). But the Silk Pajamas was nice and pleasant. All three lathered easily and consistently. This is excellent performing soap. I like how the lather is creamy, yogurty - it is slick, slick, slick - excellent glide. And it provides excellent protection and post shave feel. And it's very reasonably priced. There are more scents forthcoming, as was mentioned - specifically a vetiver-cedarwood-patchouli. That's one I'm looking forward to trying.

13 648
 09-30-2014, 03:14 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(09-29-2014, 08:56 PM)cmh8890 Wrote: There are more scents forthcoming, as was mentioned - specifically a vetiver-cedarwood-patchouli. That's one I'm looking forward to trying.

That one's already on the site...just ordered it last night. Its called Woodlands. I've been waiting for a woodsy/earthy scent, so I'm really looking forward to trying this one out Biggrin

34 1,628
 09-30-2014, 05:43 AM
  • cmh8890
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
(09-30-2014, 03:14 AM)Giorgio Wrote:
(09-29-2014, 08:56 PM)cmh8890 Wrote: There are more scents forthcoming, as was mentioned - specifically a vetiver-cedarwood-patchouli. That's one I'm looking forward to trying.

That one's already on the site...just ordered it last night. Its called Woodlands. I've been waiting for a woodsy/earthy scent, so I'm really looking forward to trying this one out Biggrin

That must have just been added the past day or so - many thanks for the heads up! Just placed an order placed, and I included the Lavender Lemongrass and the Aussie Ice as well.

13 648
 09-30-2014, 08:05 AM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
So I ordered some of their lovely soap and shampoo bars to go along with the Barbershop scent! I bought them yesterday morning so I didn't see the "perfumey"description above...although I actually like some "perfumey" scents... So I'll be able to add another view after received tomorrow! Darn those Silk PJ's, I held off for this purchase, but it seems unanimous that everyone is enjoying that scent! I'm always excited to try New soap brands!

4 794
 10-02-2014, 06:41 PM
User Info
I bought 3 cannisters of Shannon's Soaps last week: Barbershop, Aussie Ice and Lavender Ylang Ylang. It looks like it would be a soft soap or croap, but is really like a hard soap, but lathers like a shave cream. You can start out with a wet brush, instead of a dry one and get great lather. Most soaps make my face feel dry and even the natural ones with essentials oils sometimes irritate my skin. Shannon's are terrific. My face feels moisturized afterwards.

21 1,668
 10-02-2014, 06:57 PM
  • cmh8890
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
So I got the "Woodlands" today, along with "Lavender Lemongrass" and "Aussie Ice". All three scents: Awesome! I test lathered all three and like them better than the Silk PJs; and definitely more to my liking than the Barbershop and LYY. I actually shaved this evening with the Aussie Ice, and the performance was just like the Silk PJs: outstanding!

From their website, the scent descriptions, followed by my observations:

Woodlands: “A classic, masculine blend of vetiver, with cedarwood and patchouli.” This is fantastic! I’m a vetiver kind of guy, and this is right in my wheel house. It’s what I would call a “soft” scented vetiver. In terms of EdT’s I’d say it’s not like Guerlain Vetiver, but more along the lines of Creed Vetiver. Or, if you have Fine Fresh Vetiver aftershave, more along those lines. Just a wonderful scented soap – a major thumbs up!

Lavender Lemongrass: “Lavender and lemongrass essential oils create a peppy blend of floral and citrus scents that are sure to get you going in the morning.” Upon opening the tin, the lemon met me first. Once lathered, the lavender becomes predominant; very pleasant. I really like this one as well – a major thumbs up!

And Aussie Ice: “A touch of the Outback in your very own bathroom! Cool and refreshing, with spearmint, eucalyptus, and menthol.” This is the one I used for tonight’s shave. (I used my J2 Flare Tip w/Feather blade). To me, the spearmint is the alpha dog in this one. The first thing that came to my mind (fondly, I might add) was Wrigley’s Spearmint Gum. I liked this; kinda made me smile. The menthol in this rendition is on the mild side. If you are expecting “eyes watering with a frozen face” kind of soap, this is not it. I could take a tad bit more menthol, but that’s being uber critical – I like this one. My choice for aftershave was a no-brainer: Fine Snake Bite, of course.

To summarize, I’ve been won over with Shannon’s Soaps. The performance is top-tier; no denying that. And these latest three scents are definite winners for me (I like the Woodlands the best) and will remain in my rotation. I highly recommend this soap line!

13 648