08-30-2014, 10:12 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I've never used a straight, though my barber uses a shavette for cleanups when I go get a haircut.

Living where I do, no one offers honing for straights and I don't want to devote time to learning how to hone or stropping. Hence the Japanese Feather and Kai are what I'm looking at.

I use and prefer mild DEs and stick to 2 pass shaves because of sensitive skin. Would these Japanese shavettes be good choices or would they be too aggressive?

2 286
 08-30-2014, 11:14 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
They are as aggressive as you want to make them since the blade has direct contact with the skin. Aggressiveness controlled by pressure and angle.

179 23,946
 08-31-2014, 12:27 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Hi Johnny! So the blades with guards just provide an added margin of gentleness if you keep pressure light? Does blade exposure matter much given that Feather and Kai have several blades to choose from, each having varying degrees of blade exposure?

2 286
 08-31-2014, 01:26 AM
User Info
An SS with a ProGuard is more forgiving than an RG/DX with a Pro, in my experience. That's the way that I'd go - and later investigate the other models if you take to the Feather/Kai system and/or the wider variety of blades.

0 143
 08-31-2014, 03:10 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Looks like I have more thinking to do...

2 286
 08-31-2014, 04:11 AM
User Info
I have both and a feather clone. Believe that what's important is the blade and not the handle. For the cost difference buy the Clone.
Blade choice: use the Feather Proguard !! A very forgiving blade.

5 410
 08-31-2014, 04:30 AM
User Info
I recently purchased a Kai Captain with custom scales. I have shaved with nothing else since the purchase.

Like Johnny said, the amount of aggressiveness is entirely up to you , your technique and blade choice.

I love it for the easy two pass shaves. The blade size is perfect for me (trimming up to a full beard or goatee.).

It won't be for everyone. But I have found my go to setup, and I wasn't even looking.

6 1,224
 08-31-2014, 07:16 AM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
I use a Feather Artist Club DX and find that blade selection can have a substantial impact on shave quality. Blades that protrude less cause the edge of the razor to contact the skin when used at shallow angles causing unwanted drag and impact on shave quality. I haven't used a SS but the design looks like it reduces this problem, while being a much more affordable buy. Practice and technique overcome this problem but, for the closest to a real straight shave, blade selection and protrusion is key. I would stay away from the Feather Professional Lights, as at 0.6 mm, they are a challenge. If rushed, or having an off day, Pro Guards are the blade of choice. For a novice they would be a "safe" choice.

0 631
 08-31-2014, 08:01 AM
User Info
A properly honed buttery coticule edge traditional straight will amaze you I believe compared to a machine milled blade inserted in a plastic holder. Might I suggest a fine Swedish, Sheffield, Solingen or Japanese razor instead?

19 775
 08-31-2014, 09:09 AM
User Info
Hey Karlo, the Feather is a great bit of kit. I have been using the Artist SS and a Feather pro blade. It is a learning curve and you will get some cuts in the early days, all part of learning. But once you get the hang of it there is nothing like it IMHO, it does only need a gentle touch and will bit if you take your eye of the ball. It has taken me 40 shaves to get to the stage where I do not have any niks YMMV of course. To me it was worth all the time and effort and blood to develope the skills. I am no master or ninja yet but I get a DFS shave, and on occasion BBS. Give it a try. Good luck.

0 100
 08-31-2014, 01:13 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Thanks for the encouragement Stevie but I think I'll have to wait a bit longer before I dip my toes into the pool. I can see it being a Sunday shave but I rest my skin on that day. I don't think I can make it work daily right now but that might change next year.

2 286
 09-03-2014, 09:45 AM
User Info
I have an SS non-folding and Pro-Guard blades. You'd pretty much have to be trying to cut yourself, at least in my experience. In the other hand, the Pro Super blades will magically cut your face before you even pick up the razor. True story.

0 9
 09-03-2014, 11:32 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I use my Feather DX a lot and I might be the odd one but guarded bladen give me a far lesser shave then normal ones, same thing with the SS model.

28 1,449