09-01-2014, 02:22 PM
  • WriteNoob
  • Eau Claire, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Just bought a Semogue 1305 superior (???) boar bristle brush. I have a cheap badger that is a bit too scratchy for my liking, and I liked the feel of my old VdH boar, that came with the kit I bought at Walgreens a few years ago. Unfortunately, I shook it out a few weeks back, and the center of the knot fell into the sink. I've read and heard good things about both the 1305 and 830, but the 1305 had the retro painted handle, as well as the word 'superior' in the description, so there you go.

What I'm wondering is whether anyone has any advice on how to go about breaking in my new brush, once it arrives. I'm reading up on it, but I'm sure some of you guys actually own this brush, and I'm curious if there's anything specific to the model or brand?

Also, is it normal to be all jazzed about a $20 brush? Blush

0 58
 09-01-2014, 03:20 PM
User Info
I have one and really like it. Mine broke in pretty fast with just regular use. Soft tips with nice backbone. I mainly use it for face lathering, but bowl lather occasionally with it. It has a totally different feel than my omega brushes, and had no smell like some boar brushes. You should be jazzed about it, it's as good as any boar brush you can buy.

2 51
 09-01-2014, 05:22 PM
User Info
All of the Semogues boars are very good brushes! Best way to break it in is to use it! Good luck and enjoy it. Smile

83 21,077
 09-01-2014, 07:53 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
That will be the best $20 you ever spend on a brush.

178 23,809
 09-01-2014, 08:19 PM
User Info
I used to make a bowl lather and let it sit upright overnight. I read that somewhere, and I think it did something, but now I just use it right away

1 40
 09-01-2014, 10:29 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
This guide will solve any doubts you might have regarding boar brushes : http://shavenook.com/thread-a-beginner-s...ving-brush

88 7,214
 09-02-2014, 12:47 AM
User Info
The 1305 is a classic.

Great performer,classic look and feel and an all round joy to use.
Be careful with the wood and the lacquer, they have a tendency to chip easily after a couple of years (and that is why some in the end prefer acrylic handles, like a 620 or an B&B boar - but then you don,t have the shape of the 1305, nor its knot).

But in the end, a great buy and 20$ well spent!

0 661
 09-02-2014, 02:53 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Yea, the 1305 is a very nice boar brush. Took about 2 weeks of everyday use to break mine in. All I did was lather an use.

Have you considered 5 minute 2 part epoxy in the twin tubes to re cement your VDH knot back into the handle? Used that to cement a synthetic knot into an old handle and have used it everyday for 3 weeks now. Seems to hold up well.

Bob

0 1,694
 09-03-2014, 08:59 PM
  • WriteNoob
User Info
She came in the mail, today, even though the expected delivery was set at Sept. 5-10. Got to use her tonight, and I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. (Yes, I've got a Bogey thing. Wait awhile, and I'll be quoting Nick, from The Thin Man.) Little stiff, but that'll work itself out. And man, what a looker. Love that retro thing.

[Image: ATxEhiI.jpg]

The brush in the stand is a $12 Escali badger. A serviceable brush, but nothing to write home about. Pretty sure the hairs have been clipped, and it feels as you would expect. The Semogue will be my go to brush, in all likelyhood, B.A.D. not withstanding. Blush

Cheers, everyone.

0 58
 09-03-2014, 09:17 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
If you like the 1305 , dont hesitate and get a 1800.Another great brush from Semogue.Enjoy it !

88 7,214
 09-03-2014, 09:18 PM
User Info
That's a great looking brush. I've barely used the boar brush I do have, maybe ought to break it out more often. Not as pretty a handle as yours, though!

7 315
 09-03-2014, 09:23 PM
User Info
Congratulations and enjoy the brush! Smile

83 21,077
 09-04-2014, 04:40 AM
User Info
Love the look of the 1305. Careful when you soak the bristles that you don't soak the handle as well. When that puppy breaks in, it'll be like a cloud on your skin.
Enjoy!

39 3,919
 09-05-2014, 11:13 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
I'm curious about the "Superior" thing. never heard of it Smile

Anyway, the 1305 is a great brush. It has a " 90% Tops " bristle from the best manufacturer of bristle brushes, should "break in" in no time, and unlike denser boar knots, "delivers" all lather easilly.

The painting is bad, tough. Mine chipped in a couple of months, altough i never let it in very hot water. If you can, seal the painting with marine varnish.

4 447
 09-05-2014, 04:42 PM
  • WriteNoob
User Info
(09-05-2014, 11:13 AM)Gago Wrote: I'm curious about the "Superior" thing. never heard of it Smile

Anyway, the 1305 is a great brush. It has a " 90% Tops " bristle from the best manufacturer of bristle brushes, should "break in" in no time, and unlike denser boar knots, "delivers" all lather easilly.

The painting is bad, tough. Mine chipped in a couple of months, altough i never let it in very hot water. If you can, seal the painting with marine varnish.

Yes, not sure if 'Superior' is an actual thing, or just an ad guy's idea. I did come across a video by Busta, on Semogue brushes. He said that there was a level above Premium, that they used, occasionally, and that it was an S-word. It's a seriously great brush, already, so I don't care.

I've heard about the paint thing, but I'm pretty careful. I just know the retro look fits really well with the cherry M-4 Gillette Slim I got, in the mail, today. Quite a happy boy, me.

0 58
 09-05-2014, 07:27 PM
  • Razor OMR
  • Horse Shoes-Nukes & Shaving
  • Dallas tx
User Info
I'm currently into boar acquisition mode myself. Over the last few weeks I've added a nice selection from semogue, specifically 620, 1800, & SOC. All from different vendors, and not one had anything that would be called a stench. The 1800 & SOC when wetted the first time gave off a slight "animal" scent, but nothing terrible. So- how was your 1305 out of the box?

Just to get it over with I went through the defunk ritual on all 3 for a quick ramp up, and to get them into service. This entails: a shampoo w/ Dawn dish washing soap, full rinse out & then lather up with scented soap, which is then allowed to remain on/in the brush and dry. All three ready to go the next day! I was finishing up a sample of stirling "Texas on Fire", and this was a great way to defunk these brushes. After a good rinse out the next day, I only detected a subtle smokey aroma from my brushes! All three look & perform great. But I will say I was surprised in my unplanned experiment, as I hand lathered and loaded the brushes, one stood out. The 1800 just made gobs of lather effortlessly doubled the output of SOC. it will be interesting to see how they get along through the break in. I read/heard it is a good idea to let the boar dry for 48 hrs between use in order to allow the ends to split and soften up. Not sure of the accuracy of this, or just urban legend material. Hope that helps with your break in question.

And yes it is worth getting excited about ; )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 23
 09-05-2014, 07:57 PM
  • WriteNoob
User Info
(09-05-2014, 07:27 PM)Razor OMR Wrote: I'm currently into boar acquisition mode myself. Over the last few weeks I've added a nice selection from semogue, specifically 620, 1800, & SOC. All from different vendors, and not one had anything that would be called a stench. The 1800 & SOC when wetted the first time gave off a slight "animal" scent, but nothing terrible. So- how was your 1305 out of the box?

Just to get it over with I went through the defunk ritual on all 3 for a quick ramp up, and to get them into service. This entails: a shampoo w/ Dawn dish washing soap, full rinse out & then lather up with scented soap, which is then allowed to remain on/in the brush and dry. All three ready to go the next day! I was finishing up a sample of stirling "Texas on Fire", and this was a great way to defunk these brushes. After a good rinse out the next day, I only detected a subtle smokey aroma from my brushes! All three look & perform great. But I will say I was surprised in my unplanned experiment, as I hand lathered and loaded the brushes, one stood out. The 1800 just made gobs of lather effortlessly doubled the output of SOC. it will be interesting to see how they get along through the break in. I read/heard it is a good idea to let the boar dry for 48 hrs between use in order to allow the ends to split and soften up. Not sure of the accuracy of this, or just urban legend material. Hope that helps with your break in question.

And yes it is worth getting excited about ; )

It was good. Noticeably rough, but not 'scritchy' (a term I've only seen used on the fuorums). As for smell, there was none, when dry, and like yours, a faint whiff when wet. Soaked with dish soap, rinsed, and lathered up with AoS Sandlewood. Problem solved.

Isn't the 1800 the one with the mix of stiffer bristles? Might be why it lathers faster. Better air infiltration?

0 58
 09-05-2014, 08:28 PM
  • Razor OMR
  • Horse Shoes-Nukes & Shaving
  • Dallas tx
User Info
In the line up: 1800 stiffest 1250 mid and 1305 softest.
Semogue 1800 Shaving Brush: Beech-wood handle; banded imitation badger Extra 75% tops mixed with Banded imitation badger Premium 90% tops. Handle: 53 mm, Knot: 22 mm, Loft: 55 mm.

Semogue 1305 Shaving Brush: Beech-wood handle; Banded badger Premium 90% tops. Handle; 53mm, Knot: 22 mm, Loft: 55 mm.

Thinking I over spent on the soc.... Things may change over time. Still all 3 (great brushes) for less than most bangers , not bad.

0 23
 09-06-2014, 02:42 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
(09-05-2014, 04:42 PM)WriteNoob Wrote:
(09-05-2014, 11:13 AM)Gago Wrote: I'm curious about the "Superior" thing. never heard of it Smile

Yes, not sure if 'Superior' is an actual thing, or just an ad guy's idea. I did come across a video by Busta, on Semogue brushes. He said that there was a level above Premium, that they used, occasionally, and that it was an S-word. It's a seriously great brush, already, so I don't care.

I've heard about the paint thing, but I'm pretty careful. I just know the retro look fits really well with the cherry M-4 Gillette Slim I got, in the mail, today. Quite a happy boy, me.

There IS a grade above The 1305 "90% tops", its called "special grade".

4 447
 09-09-2014, 03:00 AM
User Info
The "Special" grade was only used in some LE runs, like the LE2009 and LE2011 bristle 1&2.
Apparently, it is the hair also used in the SOC boar. But the difference to the "Premium" hair is minimal, if noticeable at all.

"Superior" is not a boar grade, must be some marketing name used by some shops or something.

(09-05-2014, 07:57 PM)WriteNoob Wrote: It was good. Noticeably rough, but not 'scritchy' (a term I've only seen used on the fuorums). As for smell, there was none, when dry, and like yours, a faint whiff when wet. Soaked with dish soap, rinsed, and lathered up with AoS Sandlewood. Problem solved.

Isn't the 1800 the one with the mix of stiffer bristles? Might be why it lathers faster. Better air infiltration?

Those tips will become a lot softer with use, you'll see.

The 1800 is slightly less dense, but the mix of bristles makes it a little bit stiffer, providing more backbone, a little better flow-through and less splay than the 1305.

The tips of the 1800, at the beginning, are not as soft as the 1305, but that will change. With time and use, they become as soft as the 1305.
Said that, the 1800 is one of my favourite boar brushes, specially for lathering hard soaps in a bowl. Smile

2 5,547