09-01-2014, 06:03 PM
User Info
Guys,
What you take on current simpson munchurian SE vs 2 band SE silvertip. Does one badger has clear win/ advantage over other? I heard 2 band silvertip aren't easily accessible and that contribute in the cost

61 3,072
 09-01-2014, 06:15 PM
User Info
I have only tried the 2-Band brushes and they are one of the softest knots I have tried with very good backbone.
From what I have heard, the Manchurian knots have thicker hair with greater backbone and soft tips that provide very good scrub. I don't see the Manchurian knots being as dense as the 2-Band ones since the hair shafts are thicker and don't really need to be.
I am sure Ben will have first-hand experience with both. Smile
I am not sure if one is better than the other as they are very two different knots/hair.

83 21,109
 09-01-2014, 06:24 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
Definitely personal preference Lightbulb ...Both are two band in appearance and share more similarities than either hair grade compared to three band "anything" hair...
Basically: "SilverTip 2-Band" vs. "Manchurian"
-"STip 2Band" has thinner shafts compared to "Manchurian", therefor a touch less backbone
-Both have very similar densities between comparable models
-"Manchurian" has slightly better flow through, not much IMO
-"STip 2band" has always had softer tips, again given the same density knot.
-"Manchurian" has more facial scrub/massage
-"STip 2Band" is made in bulb shaped knots
-"Manchuran" is made into hybrid/fan knots

4 794
 09-01-2014, 06:47 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
(09-01-2014, 06:24 PM)LORDBISHOP Wrote: Definitely personal preference Lightbulb ...Both are two band in appearance and share more similarities than either hair grade compared to three band "anything" hair...
Basically: "SilverTip 2-Band" vs. "Manchurian"
-"STip 2Band" has thinner shafts compared to "Manchurian", therefor a touch less backbone
-Both have very similar densities between comparable models
-"Manchurian" has slightly better flow through, not much IMO
-"STip 2band" has always had softer tips, again given the same density knot.
-"Manchurian" has more facial scrub/massage
-"STip 2Band" is made in bulb shaped knots
-"Manchuran" is made into hybrid/fan knots

In other words, 2 band Silvertip rules. Biggrin

143 1,984
 09-01-2014, 06:48 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
I really believe its just what your preference is on this question. While Simpson places Manchurian as the flagship, because each maker will have one, Two Band stands up fairly well as a unique within the Simpson lineup. To the question on advantage, I honestly believe some people will have clearly defined wants in a brush while others just want a broad range of face feel. Myself, I would say some days I may want the Two Band which is very soft and very luxurious to me. On days I reach for a Manchurian, that comes off still as soft but with a firmer backbone than the Two Bands and the addition of scrub which is nice to have on days when your feeling like a massage.

This is probably the endless debate but I think most will agree if you have a preference then that is your superior hair, be it cheaper/more expensive than the other. Each has their own unique merits and feel so it depends on what you want to have in your rotation.

LORDBISHOP has put down a nice list of bullet point attributes aside from the general.. one is soft the other is scrubby comments.

Two band has been said many times that its the hardest to obtain for Simpson, maybe that's b/c of the truly unique softness that they're looking for in the current generation compared to the prior.. but you don't see it that often, so it adds to the elusiveness.

36 1,336
 09-01-2014, 06:53 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
(09-01-2014, 06:48 PM)refles Wrote: I really believe its just what your preference is on this question. While Simpson places Manchurian as the flagship, because each maker will have one, Two Band stands up fairly well as a unique within the Simpson lineup. To the question on advantage, I honestly believe some people will have clearly defined wants in a brush while others just want a broad range of face feel. Myself, I would say some days I may want the Two Band which is very soft and very luxurious to me. On days I reach for a Manchurian, that comes off still as soft but with a firmer backbone than the Two Bands and the addition of scrub which is nice to have on days when your feeling like a massage.

This is probably the endless debate but I think most will agree if you have a preference then that is your superior hair, be it cheaper/more expensive than the other. Each has their own unique merits and feel so it depends on what you want to have in your rotation.

LORDBISHOP has put down a nice list of bullet point attributes aside from the general.. one is soft the other is scrubby comments.

Two band has been said many times that its the hardest to obtain for Simpson, maybe that's b/c of the truly unique softness that they're looking for in the current generation compared to the prior.. but you don't see it that often, so it adds to the elusiveness.

Cheers , Well said Refles...

-Shanman, I have to agree(my preference), basically Two-band anything Badger usually works for me though, lol

4 794
 09-01-2014, 07:15 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Shanman & LORDBISHOP, both your Two Band collections are incredible so you would know more of the nuances between the 2 hair types. I've just been able to add a new Tulip 3 Silvertip (didn't have anything smaller) and it a great feeling hair type.

36 1,336
 09-02-2014, 08:08 AM
User Info
Great feedback. Thanks Guys

61 3,072