09-02-2014, 06:56 AM
User Info
This has got me thinking...............

Most of the badger "from whatever group/species" the pelt before it is harvested, tanned and processed goes through a correlated moult phase.

And the Pelage (Fur) has three stages in this cycle

* Winter coat "thicker fur coat"
* Summer "Thinner fur coat"
* Autumn " Medium fine coat"

Which got me thinking, due to what has been said about Batch to Batch variations.

Could/When and how these pelts are collected i.e the season they are collected play it's part, plus the age of the animal.

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Charles U.K

0 2,428
 09-02-2014, 07:08 AM
User Info
Most badger fur comes from China and are hunted by license during a season so if its anything like deer season in the US most of the fur would be collected at the same time so the coats would be similar in thickness.

0 190
 09-02-2014, 12:04 PM
User Info
Yes, it does make a difference. They aren't supposed to be hunted in the summer though. IIRC.

9 3,038
 09-02-2014, 01:03 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
There are many factors that go into how well the fur or hair ends up...sexual maturity, health, time of year, etc. My dad used to have a fur business and at one time sold Walrus, Seal, Minx and Fox, but primarily the latter two. He could tell by a sample fur when the animals were processed and would reject whole shipments based on one pelt...He's 92 now, but sharp as a tack, and he says that "EVERYTHING" makes a difference in how the fur ends up, even how the animal was taken, and if it had stress. That's why he says that China is hit or miss when it comes to the fur trade, since there are few regulations.

China happens to be where most all of the current stock of Badger Bristle comes from, so there you go!

74 1,523