09-02-2014, 01:10 PM
User Info
Can it be, friends? Who knows anything about this product?

http://www.amazon.com/Double-Safety-Razo...B00F3ZHQ0O

By the way, as the users questions clarify, this is not a slant (the product description appears to be off in that respect).

8 948
 09-02-2014, 01:13 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Not a chance that heads ss

118 1,708
 09-02-2014, 01:18 PM
User Info
I never heard of the brand but there must be hundreds coming out of the woodwork. As stated the handle is stainless steel (maybe)but nothing about the head so I assume cheap metal with a thin chrome coating. Your better off sticking with known high quality brands.

121 13,205
 09-02-2014, 01:53 PM
  • joedy
  • Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
User Info
Think about it: why make a stainless steel razor, but then plate it with chrome? The whole point of stainless steel is that it avoids the pitfalls of plating.

Like Judge Judy says: "If it doesn't make sense, then it's not true."

-joedy

12 87
 09-02-2014, 02:41 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(09-02-2014, 01:13 PM)Triad Wrote: Not a chance that heads ss
The handle looks suspect as well...

34 1,627
 09-02-2014, 03:23 PM
User Info
" Full Stainless Steel Handle "

The handle can be stainless steel, but the head surely isn't.

2 5,548
 09-02-2014, 06:48 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(09-02-2014, 03:23 PM)oversaturn Wrote: " Full Stainless Steel Handle "

". . . surely . . ."

The source of this confidence is ...?

1 1,109
 09-03-2014, 01:41 AM
User Info
I'm going to see if I can find the original Japanese-language info.

8 948
 09-03-2014, 01:46 AM
User Info
The price, the fact that the head looks like every other Muhle89/EJ89 clone on the market (except for the etching), and the apparent plating all suggest that this isn't a totally stainless item.
That said, in the Q&A section, there is this:
Quote:Q: The handle is stainless steel. Is the entire item 100% stainless steel?
A: Yes the entire item is 100% stainless steel. thanks

But then this is the same seller that describes the razor with the following language:
Quote:The Slant Bar is made with a larger and heavier handle for those who like a bit more to hold on to as well as a uniquely designed `slanted` shave head that imparts a slicing motion while shaving, allowing for a particularly close shave due to its ability to glide along the difficult curves of the face. It is not for beginners.

Despite the fact that it's not actually a slant bar razor.
While I'd love to see a $25 razor with a stainless head on the market, I strongly suspect this one isn't it.
It would be great to see somebody get one and give it the "dropped it in the bathroom" test that is the time tested means of finding the failure points for zamac razors.

(09-02-2014, 06:48 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:

". . . surely . . ."

0 9
 09-03-2014, 03:32 AM
User Info
Besides that, if you look well, you can see die-cast markings all over the interior of the head, through the blade gap.

That's not a CNCed or machined head, as it probably would be if it was a stainless steel one.

The description mentioning slant bars is just plain ridiculous. The vendor probably doesn't know what a slant bar is...

(09-03-2014, 01:46 AM)JBLA Wrote: The price, the fact that the head looks like every other Muhle89/EJ89 clone on the market (except for the etching), and the apparent plating all suggest that this isn't a totally stainless item.
That said, in the Q&A section, there is this:
Quote:Q: The handle is stainless steel. Is the entire item 100% stainless steel?
A: Yes the entire item is 100% stainless steel. thanks

But then this is the same seller that describes the razor with the following language:
Quote:The Slant Bar is made with a larger and heavier handle for those who like a bit more to hold on to as well as a uniquely designed `slanted` shave head that imparts a slicing motion while shaving, allowing for a particularly close shave due to its ability to glide along the difficult curves of the face. It is not for beginners.

Despite the fact that it's not actually a slant bar razor.
While I'd love to see a $25 razor with a stainless head on the market, I strongly suspect this one isn't it.
It would be great to see somebody get one and give it the "dropped it in the bathroom" test that is the time tested means of finding the failure points for zamac razors.

(09-02-2014, 06:48 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:

". . . surely . . ."

2 5,548
 09-03-2014, 04:01 AM
User Info
I've been unable to find any company website for Misaki, although there are various other razors and shaving items, including strops, under this brand.

http://www.bonanza.com/items/search?q[catalog_id]=&q[filter_category_id]=&q[shipping_in_price]=0&q[sort_by]=relevancy&q[translate_term]=true&q[search_term]=misaki%20razor

I also see scissors and such labeled Misaki.

But here's the best firsthand evidence I could find that the heads are plated. A woman posted it some years back on The Shave Den forum about the Misaki TTO. See posts 10 and 11.

It looks like ya gets what ya pays for.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/to...ell.35018/

8 948
 09-03-2014, 04:13 AM
User Info
(09-02-2014, 01:53 PM)joedy Wrote: Think about it: why make a stainless steel razor, but then plate it with chrome? The whole point of stainless steel is that it avoids the pitfalls of plating.

Like Judge Judy says: "If it doesn't make sense, then it's not true."

-joedy

+1

39 3,948