09-02-2014, 01:12 PM
User Info
I do things a bit different than most of you. I don't use a straight razor, and seldom a DE. My wife gave me a Gillette TracII almost 40 yrs ago. A few yrs after that, she gave me an Avon brass handle. I have stayed true to the TracII until about a yr ago. At Wally*World the Gillette cartridges are now $16.97 per 10 pack.. I changed to the Personna Twin PlusII, non-pivot which I can buy online as of this day for $13.99 per 100 pack, shipping inc. AND I am getting 5 wks of shaving from each Personna Cartridge. I recently discovered the Arko Shaving stick. On the good side, it gives a good, slick, surface to shave. To me, it smells good, but not overpowering. I do not like it as a stick. I cut it in half and put the halves in my old shaving cup and use it with a brush. Clean up is GREAT. I slide the cartridge from one side, and then the other. Plain hot water washes away all residue, unlike the Gillette gel I had been using that was difficult to clean, and would plugg a cartridge. I like it when less expensive products work best..

0 4
 09-02-2014, 01:54 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
That sounds like a fine routine for you, Richard.

I still prefer a DE or SE but when I'm in a hurry, my Gillette Guard single edge cartridge razor will come through for me. While I won't use gel, I do find Kiss My Face shaving cream perfect for this because it can be used with a brush or brushless. Even brushless, it offers up great glide, much better than canned foam or gel, and I can be on my way. However, my DE and SE razors, with their more traditional blades, tend to give me a closer and longer lasting shave.

Vive la différence! Thumbsup

2 11,211
 09-02-2014, 02:18 PM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
I still have my Trac II from the 70's. I use it when traveling, camping, or when I'm in a hurry.

I found some Wilkinson Sword cartridges at Wally World a couple years ago. They were around $2~$3 for a ten-pack - I bought eleven packages (all they had). Should be a lifetime supply for me!

Oh, and Arko, too! (and a few other soaps)

~Frank

18 271
 09-02-2014, 08:36 PM
User Info
Richard, as long as you enjoy your shaves is what is most important! Smile

83 21,115
 09-06-2014, 07:51 AM
User Info
(09-02-2014, 08:36 PM)celestino Wrote: Richard, as long as you enjoy your shaves is what is most important! Smile

Agreed! Smile

4 647
 09-06-2014, 09:13 AM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
That reminds me of my dad's tracII razor. He had to replace his metal handle a year or two ago because it snapped in have after decades of use.

1 608
 09-06-2014, 07:51 PM
User Info
(09-06-2014, 09:13 AM)Lradke Wrote: That reminds me of my dad's tracII razor. He had to replace his metal handle a year or two ago because it snapped in have after decades of use.

Keep looking on e-bay. The square handled brass Avons come up ofen for under $10. Most have someone's initials engraved. Those can be removed with a fine stone, or sandpaper. Then polish to a mirror shine with automotive rubbing compound.

0 4
 09-06-2014, 08:36 PM
User Info
I gave up on my Atra. I liked it. But, The DE's are much more pleasurable.

0 1,007