03-03-2012, 05:52 PM
User Info
Most of us have at least seen these razors on the forums. As brucered pointed out: they seem to come up in the BST pretty often.

For those who haven't heard of it, the OSS is Greg's take on modifying one of the more expensive DE razors out there - the Feather AS-D1.

Now, I've had a Feather AS-D1, and I found it to be one of the best-made DE razors I've ever held. The finish and detail were excellent. It is a mild razor, but it can deliver excellent shaves. However, when it comes to price.......I'm not sure it's worth the premium.

The iKon OSS is similar - it looks similar, though the handle is beefier and the knurling is deeper. The finish is similar too. It's supposedly made of stainless steel as well.

One difference between these razors is the fact that while the Feather has safety bars on both sides of the head, the OSS has a safety bar on one side, and an open comb on the other. This is supposed to give the user an option of a slightly more or less aggressive shave.

This is good in theory, but in practice it is more distracting than it is useful. The shaves are not that different on each side, but the fact that the head looks different throws me off. Now, over time, I will probably get used to it, but I haven't yet.

Anyway, this seems to be more of a gimmick than something that provides a real advantage. To be honest, I'd prefer a complete OC head.

The rest of the razor is pretty nice. I like the handle, and the shave is good....if mild. Paired with a Feather blade, the shaves were really nice. You're not going to plough through a week's beard with this in one pass. It's more for people who shave every day. It will allow you to get a pretty nice shave, without bothering too much about irritation.

However, if you're someone who obsesses about BBS (Oh, how I hate that acronym!), then you're probably going to do so many passes with this razor, that irritation will be the outcome.

If, like me, you look for a close, comfortable shave, then this will get you there.

So, as a shaving implement, this is a decent razor.

Where it gets hairy is the price - I don't think the Feather is worth the premium, and I don't think this one is worth what it costs new, either.

I know that working in stainless steel is hard, etc., but I still think this should be in the $100 range.

37 1,731
 03-04-2012, 12:29 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-03-2012, 05:52 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: I know that working in stainless steel is hard, etc., but I still think this should be in the $100 range.

Hi Yohann

Totally agree, as that was also one of my closing thoughts after using the "touring" iKon OSS.

Plus, now that I've shaved with the Weber Razor ($55), also 100% stainless steel, there's almost no way I could justify spending $150+ on an iKon or Feather. If $99 or less, iKon and/or Feather would have my money...

Yes the fit and finish of the iKon OSS is superior than the Weber, but the quality of shave is not (IMHO). I'll admit I do prefer the slightly more aggressive shave of the Weber over the iKon OSS.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-04-2012, 12:51 PM
User Info
Nice write-up Yohann. I have one of these razors and couldn't agree more. Don't misunderstand, it is a beautiful razor. Would I do it again... probably not.

I find Gregs 2nd generation OC Bulldog to be his best work.

JMHO

2 546
 03-04-2012, 01:10 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(03-04-2012, 12:51 PM)PanchoVilla Wrote: I find Gregs 2nd generation OC Bulldog to be his best work.

JMHO

The 2nd generation OC Bulldog is my favorite iKon to date as well.

45 16,291
 03-04-2012, 01:12 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(03-04-2012, 12:29 PM)mikeperry Wrote: Plus, now that I've shaved with the Weber Razor ($55), also 100% stainless steel, there's almost no way I could justify spending $150+ on an iKon or Feather. If $99 or less, iKon and/or Feather would have my money...

Just to clarify, Feather and iKon both use a higher grade of Marine Class Stainless Steel. So, in addition to a better fit and finish, the raw materials are of higher quality.

That said...I do like the way the Weber shaves.

45 16,291
 03-04-2012, 01:16 PM
User Info
Actually, I had one of his earliest efforts - the one with the OC head like an Old Type, but with the heavy long 'fat handle Tech' handle.

That was an amazing shaver, and I still regret selling it off (in one of my DE clearouts).

I also had one of his spindle-type razors (again, with an Old OC head). That one was messed up - tore my face up to shreds. I've tried other iKons too.

I think the iKon Bulldog was the same head as the first one I had, with a shorter and lighter handle. Yep, to my mind that was the best of the bunch.

This one's fine, but the iKon prices have risen to the point of being overly expensive. Still, it's a matter of what the market will bear, I guess.

The $50 price of the first iKons made more sense to me.

37 1,731
 03-04-2012, 01:27 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen:
I did have the iKon OSS and found the contrasting shave heads more of a gimmick than practical, really. It's a well made razor with good balance, but it begs the question: what are you, an open comb or a closed comb? Make up your mind. I love the Feather, because it does not claim to be anything else but a beautifully made and relatively mild razor. It's a delightful shave with Feather or Super Iridium blades — for me. I will keep my Feather. And you're right, Phil, the Weber is a fine shaver. My only objection to the Weber was the long and skinny handle, but that's a question of personal preference. I know some gentlemen like the hand. I would have kept the razor had it come with a shorter and thicker handle.

132 2,614
 03-04-2012, 02:16 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I have an iKon OSS and like it. However, I absolutely agree about the dual head. I find the safety bar side too mild and the overall concept of the dual head nothing more than a gimmick. Because I only use the open comb side, this razor has become, in effect, an SE razor, which totally wastes one half of the shave head. Sad

2 11,211
 03-04-2012, 03:45 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-04-2012, 01:12 PM)bullgoose Wrote: [quote='mikeperry' pid='2927' dateline='1330892949']
Just to clarify, Feather and iKon both use a higher grade of Marine Class Stainless Steel. So, in addition to a better fit and finish, the raw materials are of higher quality.

That said...I do like the way the Weber shaves.

Hi Phil

Yep! both the Feather and iKon use higher grade stainless steel, but I still don't believe that helps justify, warrant the $100+ price difference over the Weber.

Granted I've not shaved with a Feather so can't comment on the quality of shave it helps deliver, but as far as the iKon OSS goes, I definitely don't feel it offers a superior shaving experience over the Weber. YMMV of course.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-04-2012, 04:18 PM
User Info
To be sure, Gregs new CNC equipment costs quite a bit and I don't blame him for passing it on, considering the cost of Pils. But this iteration is not my favorite.

Greg, if you're listening... . With your equipment and your knowledge, you really could become a more custom maker. Charge what you need, but having a number of options, like some custom brush makers (Tony, Rudy...) would really be special.

JMHO

2 546
 03-06-2012, 03:45 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I love my Ikon OSS and it is currently my go to razor. I enjoy the dual personality (despite being really resistant to it at first). It re-opened my eyes to open comb razors and my shaves are all the better for it. If I'm not using the OSS, I'm most likely using my Goodfella (open comb razor from New Zealand).

I'm keen to get my hands on a Weber and I visited their website the other day to order one - but they are out of stock! After viewing pictures of the Weber on the website, I agree with Phil's suggestion that the Ikon is made from higher quality materials - it certainly looks that way and for my money I see value in a high quality finish.

91 17,801
 03-06-2012, 07:09 AM
User Info
Solid review. I've had about five or six shaves with mine and have begun using the comb for my flat areas and the bar for my angles and tight spaces. So I guess I've found some practicality in the novelty. Thing is, I think the Feather AS gets the handle size just right. I'd consider it my best-proportioned razor. The OSS will seem to have too much handle for the head until I can stop comparing it.

Still: solid and well-made, and I get a better shave each time I use it.
Solid review. I've had about five or six shaves with mine and have begun using the comb for my flat areas and the bar for my angles and tight spaces. So I guess I've found some practicality in the novelty. Thing is, I think the Feather AS gets the handle size just right. I'd consider it my best-proportioned razor. The OSS will seem to have too much handle for the head until I can stop comparing it.

Still: solid and well-made, and I get a better shave each time I use it.

Edit: and if we can get a new term going to replace BBS, I'm all for it. Every time my wife says oooh, you're smooth as a baby's bottom, I think poor mutant baby.

9 166
 03-26-2012, 03:16 PM
User Info
I just picked up a OSS over on B&B, but would like to comment here anyway as I already own an S3S.

I for one don't find the dual head to be a gimmick. First, I actually like using the OC for a first pass and the closed side for all the rest of my passes. It makes for a less irritating shave for me. Secondly, it appears to me from how hard it is to actually keep these in stock that Greg does not turn out large batches of razors at a given time. From a small shop practicality side, it just makes more sense to produce a single head which could sate both closed bar as well as open comb shavers. Greg would either have to start turning out both open and closed comb heads, or he would potentially kill off a large portion of an already small market by picking one or the other.

129 6,685
 03-26-2012, 05:00 PM
  • gagarin
  • Student of Stainless
  • Pelotillehue
User Info
(03-04-2012, 01:10 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(03-04-2012, 12:51 PM)PanchoVilla Wrote: I find Gregs 2nd generation OC Bulldog to be his best work.

JMHO

My view as well. Greg's second generation OC Deluxe Bulldog is an incredible device, don't think any razor made before or after is its equal. Mine is #07, one of Greg's introductory Father's Day's 2010 Specials. If Greg decides to once again produce full OC razors, I intend to be at the front of the line of eager purchasers.

Regards,

1 80
 03-27-2012, 08:55 AM
User Info
Great review, Yohann. i completely agree with you! Very well made razor, did not like the dual head, quite mild, and quite expensive. Having said this, it is still just a subjective view and others should experiment with it to see what they think.

75 20,883
 03-30-2012, 12:17 PM
User Info
(03-04-2012, 01:10 PM)bullgoose Wrote:

JMHO

I would LOVE to get my hands on one of those.

0 221
 03-30-2012, 01:25 PM
User Info
First shave yesterday with the OSS. Love the open comb side, the closed side is just too mild, but the OC side gave a very respectable first pass. Will see how this goes for a week or so.

129 6,685
 03-30-2012, 01:47 PM
User Info
I love the dual personality razors. First pass Open comb, second pass Closed comb, final pass is either open or closed depending on how close of a shave I want. Most can get BBS smooth with a Gillette Tech, the mildest of the mild, but the OSS/S3S/SK9 makes it even easier for me. The closed comb side is maybe a bit mild but nothing beats having that mildness for a quick one pass shave when I don't have the time for the full experience.

0 221
 04-04-2012, 08:27 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
After a week or so of experimenting, I finally got my OSS working well today.

OC followed by the Safety Bar side is most certainly the way to go with this razor.

I'm liking it more and more each time I use it. Smile

32 638
 04-04-2012, 08:59 AM
User Info
Been using the OSS for a few days, it is really a great razor. Better and better shaves with it with each use.

129 6,685