09-04-2014, 01:08 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Within my first years of DE, it was the search for compatible gear and product that proved to be the most expensive leg of the journey. Technique was something I could steadily refine regardless of product used. But figuring out what my skin (and to a certain degree, my wallet) would tolerate was what fueled my acquisitions. Well, I've cracked the code somewhat and I think what I've settled on will serve me for life.

(Caveat: I have Asian skin that is somewhat sensitive. Beard is fine at the tips but closer to coarse near the skin. Water at home is soft.)

Razors
  1. Muhle R89 Grande - My first razor and a gift from SWMBO. About as aggressive as I can use for a daily razor. If I lose this, she will kill me!
  2. Merkur Progress - Works well with a variety of blades and very efficient once you learn its unique angle. My choice when I travel, usually paired with Personna Red.
  3. Feather AS-D2 - Works best with Feather blades which are dirt cheap where I live. One of my favorite daily drivers.
  4. 1932 Canadian Tech - Similar to the Feather. Slightly less smooth than the D2 but more tolerant of other blades. It likes GSB a lot, and I have a LOT of GSB.
  5. 56 Red Tip - Because everyone should have one. Seriously, it is about as aggessive as my R89 which makes it easy on my skin. Efficient and smooth shaver. Just don't try and apply pressure.
  6. 58 TV Special - Currently the one I leave in my office locker, just in case. Great shaves for not much money and if I lose it, I won't be (too) sad.

Blades - I wanted to have a range of blades (varying degrees of sharpness and smoothness) that work well in my razors. I settled on Personna Red, Polsilver, Gillette Silver Blue and Feather.

Brushes - SWMBO gave me a Semogue 2013 SE which I've dedicated to bowl lathering. For face lathering, I have a Duke 2 and Classic 1 (both Best). For travel, I settled on the Muhle Travel STF. The regular handled STF would have worked better ergonomically for me but the turnback version works well enough that I've not bothered to replace it.

Soap - La Toja stick. I still have a puck Cade but La Toja is the only thing I'll stock moving forward. It works well for home and travel and doesn't take up much space on either the sink or my Dopp kit. I've used Harris sticks before and I prefer La Toja. (UPDATE : SWMBO gave me a kilo brick of Cella so unless that stuff sets my face on fire, you know what my soap will be for the foreseeable future.)

Cream - I don't use too much cream these days but I've had the chance to try Speick and like it. I'll keep a few tubes at home. (UPDATE: SWMBO also gave me a tube each of TOBS Avocado and Trumpers Coconut. No need to score Speick for now.)

Now that I've made up my mind, maybe I'll actually manage to save money. LOL.

2 286
 09-04-2014, 01:54 AM
User Info
no room for aftershaves or you are going to spend the saved money on them Biggrin

1 495
 09-04-2014, 02:56 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I forgot about that.

Aftershave treatments : witch hazel, Aveeno ASB, unrefined Shea Butter.

2 286
 09-04-2014, 12:36 PM
User Info
Karlo, congratulations on finding what works for you! I see you are enjoying the shea butter. Biggrin

82 21,077
 09-05-2014, 12:19 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Oh yes I am celestino!

2 286
 09-06-2014, 10:52 AM
User Info
(09-05-2014, 12:19 AM)Karlo Wrote: Oh yes I am celestino!

* Excellent! Smile

82 21,077