09-04-2014, 06:35 PM
User Info
I propose we have a contest to see how much money we members of Shave Nook can donate to the very forum that allows us to share our shaving experiences and learn from the experiences of others, and which provides a very useful marketplace in which to buy, sell and trade shaving items to/with those who are fellow shaving enthusiasts, and without incurring those fees charged by auction sites.

From the main shavenook.com webpage, there are two places to which you can go to donate. One is the small Donate window to the right under the Portal header. The other place is the Support Us button in the top tool bar. If you click on the Support Us button, it gives you the option to DONATE or LINK TO US. The selection of the Donate option from either donation location will take you to the donation page, where it states:

"Want to show how much you care about our forum? With web hosting, domain, theme and custom plugin costs, it's expensive to keep our forum up and running. Currently, all of the expenses come right out of the administrator's pocket. That's why we now offer a method for you to donate and help us stay online!

While the suggested donation is $10, we will be thankful for ALL donations, big and small. 100% of donations will be used for our forums, and NONE of it will be used for personal expenses. To get started, simply enter an amount that is $10 or greater below and click Donate.

If you donate $25 or more, you'll receive the following perks:
Free @shavenook.com email address (username@shavenook.com) with 30mb of space that is accessed by going here (mail.shavenook.com). Increased space for 300 private messages (compared to 200 for registered users). Increased space for 200mb of attachment space (compared to 100mb for registered users)."

I propose that everyone who is financially able and willing donate the $25 necessary to get the benefits described above. Wouldn't it be awesome to be able to show your support for The Shave Nook by the very email address that you use?!? I laugh every time I read about one of my fellow Shave Nook members going to great lengths to hide their shaving purchases from their significant others (like hanging their purchases in a plastic bag out the window). A shavenook.com email address would allow you to have a secret email address through which you can engage in all of your covert shaving transactions.

If you already have a shavenook.com email address, please reply to this thread and identify yourself. If you donate again in response to this Contest/Challenge, please identify yourself and the amount of your new donation. If you don't already have a shavenook.com email address and you choose to donate at least $25, please identify yourself also, along with the amount of your donation. If you donate less than $25, we want to hear from you also. I want to keep a running total of all the money raised through this challenge. This isn't for the purpose of showing off how much we donate. Instead, I want this to be an opportunity for us to encourage one another and show our appreciation to Phil and all the moderators and regular contributors for keeping this forum alive. We all benefit greatly. We all owe a lot. $25 isn't much to ask.

Now let's see how much we can raise!

I'll start with a donation of $25.00.

In the near future you should be able to contact me at twallis@shavenook.com. (just don't tell my wife)

18 246
 09-04-2014, 07:49 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
$25 donated-such a small price for the hours of enjoyment that I experience.

38 5,108
 09-05-2014, 10:57 AM
User Info
we appreciate the donations!

we have some very large expenses coming up at the end of the year and every little bit helps.

edited to add - I'll set up the new e-mail addresses tonight.

40 5,830
 09-05-2014, 03:42 PM
User Info
This thread has been read 125 times, but there has been only one other donation reported. Since I posted this thread, I have learned that the costs of running this board are a lot higher than most assume. The vendor and artisan fees charged cover ~25-33% of the costs of running the forums and the rest is paid for by Phil. If you figure out how much is taken in from the program (it's not hard), then multiply that by 2 or 3 and that's Phil's expense of maintaining TSN. I also want to make clear that no one associated with TSN as a moderator or administrator is behind this effort. The Shave Nook is NOT soliciting funds. I would like to help ensure that they don't have to. Please pitch in if you can.

18 246
 09-05-2014, 04:16 PM
User Info
I pledge to donate annually. I'll make it a point to sell an item where the proceeds go to TSN.

4 355
 09-05-2014, 05:31 PM
User Info
(09-04-2014, 07:49 PM)evnpar Wrote: $25 donated-such a small price for the hours of enjoyment that I experience.

Thanks for being the first in line to Donate! You're a true example.

(09-05-2014, 04:16 PM)Shakamoto Wrote: I pledge to donate annually. I'll make it a point to sell an item where the proceeds go to TSN.

Upping the ante, huh? I like it. Thanks for posting!

(09-05-2014, 10:57 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: we appreciate the donations!

we have some very large expenses coming up at the end of the year and every little bit helps.

edited to add - I'll set up the new e-mail addresses tonight.

Thanks for the promise of quick setup for the new e-mail addresses for new donors. Hopefully we can help cover some of the End of Year expenses. I'd like to see The Shave Nook around for a long time to come. Imagine if 1000 members donated $25 each!!!

18 246
 09-06-2014, 04:18 AM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
I'm in for $25

~Frank

"I spent most of my money on whiskey and women. The rest I just wasted."

18 271
 09-06-2014, 05:52 AM
User Info
(09-06-2014, 04:18 AM)RedRocks Wrote: I'm in for $25

~Frank

"I spent most of my money on whiskey and women. The rest I just wasted."

Awesome, Frank. Thanks for your generosity.

18 246
 09-06-2014, 10:23 AM
User Info
I must be blind. Where are we supposed to click "Donate"?

8 71
 09-06-2014, 11:19 AM
User Info
(09-06-2014, 10:23 AM)Andy6228 Wrote: I must be blind. Where are we supposed to click "Donate"?

http://shavenook.com/donate.php

40 5,830
 09-06-2014, 06:52 PM
User Info
(09-06-2014, 10:23 AM)Andy6228 Wrote: I must be blind. Where are we supposed to click "Donate"?

Be sure to post a reply to this thread after you donate. This will hopefully help encourage others to do the same.

18 246
 09-06-2014, 08:25 PM
User Info
Dear Friends and members,

I hope that for one, you find and read this post. Two, I hope that you don't take all the work behind the scenes for granted. It takes a lot of work and money to produce a fine forum as ours. Please consider that even a small donation can keep this great forum functioning. Together through your help we can remain online without placing a burden upon those who work behind the scenes. When I first registered as a member I donated because I knew they needed support to function. I get a lot of knowledge and pleasure out of this forum. Please donate. We need your help.

Sincerely,
Aaron

0 1,007
 09-07-2014, 07:10 PM
User Info
Donation complete. I donated the suggested $10. I don't need another email address to keep track of but I know will continue to get lots of enjoyment for my $10. Thanks!

8 71
 09-08-2014, 03:48 PM
User Info
(09-07-2014, 07:10 PM)Andy6228 Wrote: Donation complete. I donated the suggested $10. I don't need another email address to keep track of but I know will continue to get lots of enjoyment for my $10. Thanks!

Awesome! Thanks. This is a great example to everyone that you don't have to feel obligated to donate $25 or nothing. Every amount helps. I think it makes continued participation in the Nook even more meaningful because there is now a sense of ownership. Let's keep up the momentum and continue to encourage donations.

18 246
 09-09-2014, 07:14 PM
User Info
It's been nearly a week since posting this thread, but only $85.00 in donations have been reported. If you donated, but didn't report it, please do so in order to encourage others to donate as well. If you have thought about donating, but haven't done so yet, please keep giving it thoughtful consideration. Show your appreciation for all the benefits received from access to The Shave Nook.

18 246
 09-10-2014, 10:25 AM
User Info
Maybe this thread needs to be moved or copied to somewhere that is seen better, maybe the Portal or under announcements. We've got over 4000 members, I would think there would be at least 100 members out there who would donate if they saw and read the thread.

0 1,007
 09-10-2014, 11:05 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Aaron, I tend to agree with you. I am going to move this to the Site Feedback section to see if it gets more traction.

178 23,809
 09-10-2014, 12:00 PM
User Info
(09-10-2014, 11:05 AM)Johnny Wrote: Aaron, I tend to agree with you. I am going to move this to the Site Feedback section to see if it gets more traction.

BiggrinBiggrinBiggrin

0 1,007
 09-10-2014, 12:21 PM
User Info
again, we appreciate the donations!

40 5,830
 09-11-2014, 09:19 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Another fundraising possibility.....Donate unused shave equipment to the BST and give funds to the NOOK....For now I,ll use Pay Pal...$50.00....best forum ever !!!!!!

6 2,023