09-05-2014, 08:13 AM
User Info
My TOBS Mr Taylor cream arrived yesterday but sadly it had the consistency of melted ice cream and a tiny bit had leaked out. Last night I stirred it up a bit and left if in the refrigerator overnight and it is still the same consistency. What should I do?

0 75
 09-05-2014, 08:47 AM
User Info
(09-05-2014, 08:13 AM)ShaveWares Wrote: My TOBS Mr Taylor cream arrived yesterday but sadly it had the consistency of melted ice cream and a tiny bit had leaked out. Last night I stirred it up a bit and left if in the refrigerator overnight and it is still the same consistency. What should I do?

I don't know, but I wonder if just sitting it out with the lid off for a day or so would dry it out and harden a bit? It may end up a croap as many of my creams have done over time but I have actually started to like them that way.

8 115
 09-05-2014, 08:57 AM
User Info
Would sitting it with the lid off weaken the scent?

0 75
 09-05-2014, 09:05 AM
User Info
Give it a vigorous stir with a small whisk and place open in the frig. or even the freezer. If you place it in the freezer don't leave it for long. Just keep coming back to it for a stir. I'm sure from the factory air bubbles are introduced to give it a fuller consistency but now its lost due to the heat. I had this happen to me with a small sample. I did what I mentioned above. Turned out fine but it wasn't completely fixed. The performance of the cream should be unaffected.

0 1,007
 09-05-2014, 09:13 AM
User Info
(09-05-2014, 09:05 AM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote: Give it a vigorous stir with a small whisk and place open in the frig. or even the freezer. If you place it in the freezer don't leave it for long. Just keep coming back to it for a stir. I'm sure from the factory air bubbles are introduced to give it a fuller consistency but now its lost due to the heat. I had this happen to me with a small sample. I did what I mentioned above. Turned out fine but it wasn't completely fixed. The performance of the cream should be unaffected.

What about the scent? Will it weaken the scent?

0 75
 09-05-2014, 12:03 PM
User Info
May I suggest contacting the vendor who sold you the soap. If reputable, the vendor should stand behind their product and give you a replacement along with an apology. If the vendor is not reputable, well -- you know the story.

Changing the topic a bit, this is why I buy only from known sources even when more expensive than the same product from an unknown source.

Best of luck.

16 351
 09-05-2014, 12:07 PM
User Info
Put it in your refrigerator overnight it should be fine.

63 1,720
 09-05-2014, 12:27 PM
User Info
I bought it from connaughtshaving but he didn't offer to replace it. So I'll just see how it performs.

I left it in the refrigerator overnight and stirred it up three times and still nothing.

0 75
 09-05-2014, 04:51 PM
User Info
Quote: Would sitting it with the lid off weaken the scent?

Maybe slightly, but i don't think too much. I have many creams that have dried out quite a bit that all seem fine to me scent-wise

8 115
 09-05-2014, 06:24 PM
User Info
I lathered with it, it lathers fine, if you get it on the brush. When I went to dip the brush in it, it wouldn't load on the brush, I actually had to press down a little bit to get it to load, despite it looking like a liquid!

0 75
 09-05-2014, 08:49 PM
User Info
What if I put it in the freezer?

0 75
 09-05-2014, 09:05 PM
User Info
Leave it outside with the lid off for a few days, this will let it dry out and harden a little. I doubt it will have much impact on the strength of the fragrance.

Regardless the soap will still work fine.

23 475
 09-07-2014, 05:41 PM
User Info
I suppose I should go ask the soap maker (my wife), but I agree with Aaron's assessment - you likely need to blend everything together again very well. There are ingredients in the cream with different viscosities, and they probably separated when the cream got hot in the mail. Additionally, I'd imagine that you lost the air that gets mixed in when the ingredients were initially blended, as Aaron said.

Letting it melt in the sun again and hitting it with a wisk or a (carefully wielded) stick blender might do the trick. Careful though - you don't want to overheat it. Oils catch fire when they get too hot, and I don't know what else is in the ingredient list.

Heat could cause the scent to dissipate a bit, especially if you overdo it.

Everything should firm up again at room temperature, but I suppose you could speed things along a bit by putting it in the fridge.

0 1,071
 09-07-2014, 06:38 PM
User Info
That's weird. I just received TOBS a day ago and it was thick and creamy. That's in 90+ degree SoCal weather. I would do the same as Shannon's Soaps suggested. Let it warm up again, wisk it, and let it cool.

3 218
 09-07-2014, 08:54 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I'm sure if you follow the advice posted above, you'll achieve a close return to its original consistency and regardless you know you can still produce decent lather with it.

(09-05-2014, 12:03 PM)slackskin Wrote: May I suggest contacting the vendor who sold you the soap. If reputable, the vendor should stand behind their product and give you a replacement along with an apology....

As unfortunate as the situation is, I'm at a loss as to the reasoning as to why the Vendor is responsible? I don't believe they can exert any control over the weather or temperatures inside mailboxes...

99 18,011
 09-07-2014, 09:17 PM
User Info
(09-05-2014, 12:03 PM)slackskin Wrote: May I suggest contacting the vendor who sold you the soap. If reputable, the vendor should stand behind their product and give you a replacement along with an apology. If the vendor is not reputable, well -- you know the story.

Changing the topic a bit, this is why I buy only from known sources even when more expensive than the same product from an unknown source.

Best of luck.

Top of the heap vendor or bottom of the barrel, what are they supposed to do? We don't have near enough information on the shipment. Does the OP live in an apartment in Vermont where the mailboxes are in climate controlled areas? Does he live in rural Texas with a closed mailbox at the end of his driveway where the temp may reach 150 inside while it bakes in the sun all day?

I just don't understand what a vendor is supposed to do to every package they ship to insure it does not get too hot after delivery. It's a sad situation, and I have sympathy with the buyer, but I fail to see how this is the vendors fault.

129 6,685
 09-08-2014, 12:18 AM
User Info
I would just contact the vendor, I mean they have to provide you warranty and make sure you receive the product in good condition.

In Europe you could even just send it back within two weeks and get back your money.

0 55
 09-08-2014, 08:24 AM
User Info
Forget about sending it back. This was just an "act of God," and you need to just figure out what to do with it yourself; it is in no way at all the vendor's responsibility.

207 12,262
 09-08-2014, 10:14 AM
User Info
I've put it in the refrigerator and stirred it up like crazy but no luck, should I try the freezer? Would the freezer hurt it? Don't get me wrong, it lather's like usual, only difference is that when I dip the brush in, it doesn't load on the brush, i have to press down, which is weird for a liquid?

(09-08-2014, 08:24 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Forget about sending it back. This was just an "act of God," and you need to just figure out what to do with it yourself; it is in no way at all the vendor's responsibility.

But at the same time, how is it my responsibility? What's with the hostile tone?

(09-07-2014, 09:17 PM)wingdo Wrote:
(09-05-2014, 12:03 PM)slackskin Wrote: May I suggest contacting the vendor who sold you the soap. If reputable, the vendor should stand behind their product and give you a replacement along with an apology. If the vendor is not reputable, well -- you know the story.

Best of luck.

Top of the heap vendor or bottom of the barrel, what are they supposed to do? We don't have near enough information on the shipment. Does the OP live in an apartment in Vermont where the mailboxes are in climate controlled areas? Does he live in rural Texas with a closed mailbox at the end of his driveway where the temp may reach 150 inside while it bakes in the sun all day?

I just don't understand what a vendor is supposed to do to every package they ship to insure it does not get too hot after delivery. It's a sad situation, and I have sympathy with the buyer, but I fail to see how this is the vendors fault.

It was fresh off the USPS delivery truck to my door, it didn't sit in a mail box or in the sun, but probably got hot as a result of sitting in the un-airconditioned delivery truck in the Texas heat. I've never ordered a cream this time of year before and the thought never occurred to me to "not order a cream in August." I never blamed the vendor, I doubt that "Texas heat" even crossed his mind. It's just what it is, but my concern is getting it back to what it should be and hoping I didn't lose scent or performance.

0 75
 09-08-2014, 11:55 AM
User Info
(09-08-2014, 10:14 AM)ShaveWares Wrote:
(09-07-2014, 09:17 PM)wingdo Wrote:

Best of luck.

It was fresh off the USPS delivery truck to my door, it didn't sit in a mail box or in the sun, but probably got hot as a result of sitting in the un-airconditioned delivery truck in the Texas heat. I've never ordered a cream this time of year before and the thought never occurred to me to "not order a cream in August." I never blamed the vendor, I doubt that "Texas heat" even crossed his mind. It's just what it is, but my concern is getting it back to what it should be and hoping I didn't lose scent or performance.

Yup, I know exactly what you asked, and the best advice had already been given. The air bubbles have been heated out of the cream, so the consistency will not be what you expect, but the cream will still work without issue. I have a couple creams which have separated and they both do fine.

My response was to the person I quoted. I am not sure what a vendor is expected to do here. Yes, you might get a replacement, or they may ask you why it's their fault. I just don't see how this is a vendor's fault nor why they should replace it as the quote I replied to stated they should. This isn't a case of poor packing so that the item broke in transit (which I would expect to happen). Creams are well knows to not do well in heat. I keep all my not used creams in my non heated / non air conditioned half of the basement where it's always 50-70 degrees. My in use creams are alway in an air conditioned area. Creams melt / go bad before 100 degrees Fahrenheit, it's one of my primary reasons for preferring soaps over creams even though lathering creams is a lot easier for me.

129 6,685