09-05-2014, 04:20 PM
  • WriteNoob
  • Eau Claire, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
So, last Sunday I was doing my due diligence as a complete Noob to DE razors and shaving by listening to yet another episode of BnSnB, when the guys yen for vintage razors started kinda rub off, a bit. Being Sunday on Labor Day weekend, it was a certainty that none of the usual local sources were likely to be open, so I went to that place in the cloud, Ebay. Just to browse, mind you. Will of iron. No impulse buys.

Within about 30 minutes I'd realized a couple things. One: I was not about to be the owner of a Fat Boy, like Rick, from BnSnB. At least, not at $50+, which is what they were all going for. I did, however, find a number of Slims hovering around the $10 mark. This brought me to my next realization, that being that the old iron will was rusting at an amazing rate.

"Ho-oney? Would I be a terrible husband if I were to bid in an auction for a vintage Razor?"

I get silence. Then the voice I always hear when she thinks I'm about to buy something I'll only use for a week, maybe two, "How much?"

"Well, it's only at around ten bucks. I'm sure I can win it for under twenty five."

"Twenty five, huh? Yeah, we've got enough mad money (a slush account for frivolous purchases) to cover that."

So, I jump in and set my max limit at $26.95, just in case. It's only a buck ninety-five. Don't judge.

Got the razor for $24.32. It looked a bit scummy, but otherwise seemed in good shape. I got it in the mail, today. It's in great shape. No brassing, and only minor scuffing on the cap. Once it's cleaned up, I should have a really nice Gillette Slim. But here's the cool part. It's date marked M-4, which, according to my research, should be the fourth quarter of '67. I was born in November of that year, so just by chance, my first vintage razor is also a birth year razor, down to the quarter. I'm quite happy with it, and will be cleaning it up, this weekend.

It's not gold, just shot under incandescent light.

[Image: oaGuRlD.jpg][Image: LHA2X9l.jpg]
[Image: WQiDUm5.jpg][Image: turHUkK.jpg]

Quick question. Was Gillette using nickel or chrome, at that time? Just curious, if anyone knows.

All the best, everyone!

0 58
 09-05-2014, 07:28 PM
User Info
Dude, $25 for a birth year Slim?! Score!!!
Nickel. Not Chrome.

0 76
 09-05-2014, 07:37 PM
User Info
Congratulations on the new birth-year Slim! Smile

83 21,077
 09-05-2014, 07:50 PM
User Info
Congratulations on a fine BD razor find!!!

18 194
 09-05-2014, 08:03 PM
  • WriteNoob
User Info
Better to be lucky, than good, I guess.

0 58
 09-05-2014, 08:56 PM
User Info
I call that a score!!! Got to love a vintage razor!!

3 218
 09-06-2014, 03:53 AM
User Info
Looks lovely - enjoy it Smile

3 4,484
 09-06-2014, 04:58 AM
User Info
Dang, what a great score! Awesome find.

Chris

3 208
 09-06-2014, 07:59 PM
User Info
Nice find! Of course, you should be warned that it will NOT, in all likelihood, be your last, or most expensive vintage razor. Once the bug bites, it's hard to shake. Enjoy your new razor.

Sent from my iPhone to the interwebs and straight to your brain using Tapatalk

0 53
 09-06-2014, 08:26 PM
User Info
(09-06-2014, 07:59 PM)24Fanatic Wrote: Once the bug bites, it's hard to shake.

This!!!! Been bitten too. Playing spy guy to hide my new razors from from my wife.LOL Smile

3 218
 09-06-2014, 10:30 PM
  • WriteNoob
User Info
Looks like it's time for that secret panel in the bathroom cabinet. Rolleyes

Cleaned it up and used it for the first time, today. After just that one shave, I can tell you that this is now my daily driver. Been trying to tame an 89L and Feather combo, for a few weeks. Put a new Feather in this baby, set on three, took a few strokes, and heard angels sing. (Sounded like The Beach Boys.) This is what shaving should feel like. Not just way more comfortable, but much easier and more forgiving. I'm hooked.

[Image: BelRT8J.jpg]

0 58
 09-07-2014, 01:55 AM
User Info
That's a tremendous stroke of fortune that you got your birth quarter without even trying! That was a big reason I wanted my Slim (which I also love).

Have fun dialing it up. By the way, I'm still happy with my DE89. (Astra SP is a good pairing, and Personna Blues have been good too. I'll soon give Feather a go.)

8 915
 09-07-2014, 06:19 AM
User Info
Nice score!

Regarding your first shave with it. That's exactly the way I felt when I discovered my first really good blade. I had to double check to see if I even installed one. That was in a Gillette black handle TTO. Approximately the equivalent of your Slim set to 3.

32 6,459
 09-07-2014, 07:15 AM
User Info
Wait, both you guys heard the Beach Boys after early really good shaves?!?

I think my first "perfect" shave was with a SuperSpeed; and I've had a couple with a Slim after that. I have no idea why I moved on from the razors, except curiosity and wanting to be able converse with forum friends about other things. RAD is a result of forum-ing. I found the cause, and know the etiology now.

7 315
 09-07-2014, 07:30 AM
  • WriteNoob
User Info
I already have a whole new (for me) arena of RAD rearing it's head. I don't really like used items. I'm not much for collecting antiques, and the like. I like new, shiny things, that I can be the first person to use. The closest thing I can get to this with these old adjustables is a refurb. That's the next thing I'll (most likely) be saving for, razor-wise. Hopefully, I can get a polish comparable to my EJ on an older Gillette, with either a nickel or rhodium finish.

0 58
 09-07-2014, 08:16 AM
User Info
Oh man, yeah I haven't had a razor re-plated yet, but I'm thinking about it. I'm less concerned with perfectly shiny and new, but I have a couple of old razors that I think I might like but for the rather grungy appearance and lack of protection from worn away plating. I'd do it in a heartbeat if not for the expense (and the even bigger expense of other areas of RAD, too). Big trouble with interest in the stainless razors, and perhaps bigger trouble with starting, or re-starting, with straight razors. And honing stones.

Meanwhile, kinda broke and get GREAT shaves with what I already have. So it's a sickness!

7 315
 09-07-2014, 08:28 AM
User Info
Hard to to beat the old Gillette's. Great score. Welcome to your new addiction.

3 153