05-22-2012, 01:05 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1220364.jpg]

Thanks to John (churchillafemme) I had the chance to tried this shaving brush in the past.This "fifty" series brush is the smaller of all them with the same measures :
  • 20 mm knot
  • 44/45 mm loft
  • Around 88 mm total height

which makes it a small brush,perfect for facelathering task.

[Image: P1220365.jpg]

This brush comes with the famous best badger Simpson hair,which resembles more the super silvertip Rooney 1/1 hair than any other best badger hair out there (light years away in quality than best badger hair grade from Edwin Jagger,for example).

It size and measures are really close to the Simpson Berkeley n 46,but this brush handle is one of the most ergonomics out there (much more than the Berkeley) and also contains more badger hair on the knot than the Berkeley,but maybe not as much as I was expecting (which is not something bad,since I dont like overly dense hair packed shaving brushes).

[Image: P1220366.jpg]

We know what to expect from handles made by Vulfix/Simpson and this is not an exception,with a perfect finish,well made and kind of heavy for its size.If we add,that as I have wrote before,is one of the most ergonomics handles out there and its classy design,the "fifty" series wins to other ones in that aspect.

Here a pic with the Simpson Duke 2 and the Wee Scot :

[Image: P1220367.jpg]

This brush is perfect for facelathering.Since is not overly packed with badger hair,has a really good flow,even for its shorter loft.The tips have some scratchiness,but nothing unpleasant.I had a Berkeley N46 wich was really scratchy,and this one,even when has some scratchiness,offers a nice skin massage if you use with circular movements when making lather on the face.
A small brush,perfect for facelathering with hard soaps,great ergonomic and classy looking handle,excellent flow for its short loft,and provides a good skin care massage when used it with circular movements.Sounds like a perfect brush for the die hard face latherers out there,doesnt it?

86 7,124
 05-22-2012, 01:40 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
Great review as always Tieste. Thanks for the info on another interesting brush.

You mentioned that the hair was close to a Rooney Super. I know that with any brush there will be variability in the hair, but in your experience do you find some of the higher priced Simpsons Best offerings have slightly softer hair?

I ask as I recently picked up a new Colonel and Persian Jar, both in Best. The Colonel's hair is scritchy but the Persian Jar's is almost as soft as my Rooney Super. Since the PJ is more expensive than the Colonel, I wondered if there is a difference in the hair.

These are my only two Simpsons so it definately could just be a variation from brush to brush but I didn't know if not only the higher priced models also include more density but maybe they select a bit softer hair from their stock? Any clarity would be great!

0 353
 05-22-2012, 01:47 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(05-22-2012, 01:40 PM)Brent Wrote: Great review as always Tieste. Thanks for the info on another interesting brush.

You mentioned that the hair was close to a Rooney Super. I know that with any brush there will be variability in the hair, but in your experience do you find some of the higher priced Simpsons Best offerings have slightly softer hair?

I ask as I recently picked up a new Colonel and Persian Jar, both in Best. The Colonel's hair is scritchy but the Persian Jar's is almost as soft as my Rooney Super. Since the PJ is more expensive than the Colonel, I wondered if there is a difference in the hair.

These are my only two Simpsons so it definately could just be a variation from brush to brush but I didn't know if not only the higher priced models also include more density but maybe they select a bit softer hair from their stock? Any clarity would be great!

Brent,I guess that would depend on the hair batches more than the price.I got a Commodore X1 which best badger hair was super soft and super densely packed with hair,while this 55,while has best badger hair too,is less packed and also has some scratchiness on it (nothing bad).

86 7,124
 05-22-2012, 01:51 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
(05-22-2012, 01:47 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(05-22-2012, 01:40 PM)Brent Wrote: Great review as always Tieste. Thanks for the info on another interesting brush.

Brent,I guess that would depend on the hair batches more than the price.I got a Commodore X1 which best badger hair was super soft and super densely packed with hair,while this 55,while has best badger hair too,is less packed and also has some scratchiness on it (nothing bad).

Thanks for clearing that up. I was thinking it's just the variability of the batches but wasn't sure. I picked up both thinking I'd prefer one over the other and sell the one I wasn't going to use... but it's hard for me to do that now! I like the scritch of the Colonel but prefer the density/stiffness combo of the PJ. And the Colonel has a pinkish hue which is neat. Not sure if I can let one go!

0 353
 05-22-2012, 07:57 PM
User Info
Another great review, Teiste! Is there any brush you have not tried?

75 20,883
 05-22-2012, 10:06 PM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
I'm having a 55, too. Very pleased with it, but mine is much more densely packed than e.g. my Berkeley. It's even more dense than my Chubby 1. Has a very small footprint.

Very good face leatherer and Simpsons Best is really the best you can get, all things considered.

0 229
 05-22-2012, 10:45 PM
  • SLB04
  • Schalksmühle
User Info
I like my 55 as well. It was my first Best Badger from Simpson and I was surprised how soft the tips are. My 55 is not as desne as a Chubby but still very dense. It is really good for face lathering and a nice travel brush.

Here is a picture of my unused 55:

[Image: 10582577yz.jpg]

And here a close-up of the very beautiful and ergonomic handle:

[Image: 9838664ezd.jpg]

1 374
 05-22-2012, 11:23 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Beautiful pics,my friend.

86 7,124
 05-22-2012, 11:31 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Teiste, another great review on a great brush. One of these days I hope to own a Simpsons 57. That would be the perfect size for me.

173 23,553
 05-23-2012, 02:01 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Thank-you, again for another great review. Please keep them coming!

91 17,875