09-06-2014, 07:22 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
On this and other forums I have seen the term "MdC-type soaps." I have seen, e.g., some posters state that the following are "MdC-type" soaps :
- Synergy
- Los Angeles Shaving,
- Cold River
- Maggard

Can someone tell me what "MdC-type" soaps are? How do those listed above resemble MdC in any reasonable manner?

1 795
 09-06-2014, 09:42 PM
User Info
MdC-Type as in the same recipe? If so, then L.A. Shaving Soaps is the exact same recipe but not cured. John, the owner, actually started out by experimenting with shaving soaps using the MdC recipe because it was a simple one and found the results to be very pleasing. Since MdC can be pricey with the process they put it through, he decided to market it with his own scents minus the curing process at a more affordable price point.

They are great, by the way. Nearly identical in the shave from what I can tell.

Cold River and Synergy definitely don't have the same recipe, though. I'm not sure about Maggard's. Barrister & Mann Tre Citta I believe uses the MdC recipe as well but with different scents.

3 96
 09-07-2014, 12:53 AM
User Info
"MdC-Type Soap" is generally little more than a marketing term that means "good French style (non-tallow) shaving soap," generally with fewer ingredients like MdC.

If you're interested in such products, you can also check-out:

Catie's Bubbles
Tiki Soaps (she has both French-style vegan and tallow varieties, and you can custom order scents - her page also appears to currently be down, but she can also be found on Esty)
Prairie Creations (specifically the DdC shave soap)

In addition, other very good "mass production" French hard soaps that are widely available, include:

Pre De Provence
Cade Shave Soap (found online and in L'Occitance boutiques worldwide)

0 386
 09-07-2014, 10:25 AM
User Info
(09-06-2014, 09:42 PM)IMightBeWrong Wrote: MdC-Type as in the same recipe? If so, then L.A. Shaving Soaps is the exact same recipe but not cured. John, the owner, actually started out by experimenting with shaving soaps using the MdC recipe because it was a simple one and found the results to be very pleasing. Since MdC can be pricey with the process they put it through, he decided to market it with his own scents minus the curing process at a more affordable price point.

Cold River and Synergy definitely don't have the same recipe, though. I'm not sure about Maggard's. Barrister & Mann Tre Citta I believe uses the MdC recipe as well but with different scents.

It's similar, but we added castor oil to mitigate the drying nature of a straight stearic/coconut soap. The castor also makes it a bit slicker and makes the lather slightly more dense, which is why the performance of the soap so closely resembles that of our tallow formula.

5 407
 09-07-2014, 04:10 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(09-07-2014, 10:25 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote:
(09-06-2014, 09:42 PM)IMightBeWrong Wrote: MdC-Type as in the same recipe? If so, then L.A. Shaving Soaps is the exact same recipe but not cured. John, the owner, actually started out by experimenting with shaving soaps using the MdC recipe because it was a simple one and found the results to be very pleasing. Since MdC can be pricey with the process they put it through, he decided to market it with his own scents minus the curing process at a more affordable price point.

It's similar, but we added castor oil to mitigate the drying nature of a straight stearic/coconut soap. The castor also makes it a bit slicker and makes the lather slightly more dense, which is why the performance of the soap so closely resembles that of our tallow formula.

Both are really nice performers, but the tallow still seems to have a bit more glide IMO, and perhaps the lather is also a bit denser. Still, I do generally favor what are usually called tallow-based soaps, so I was not surprised to prefer that one over the Tre Citta.

26 4,928
 09-07-2014, 04:30 PM
User Info
If MdC was cured for 6 months, it would be a lot drier and harder than it is. Their French website says a few weeks, btw.

Stearic/Coconut oil base is actually used by a lot of soaps. Proraso, TFS, French soaps, RazoRock, and probably more. The Italian soaps just use NAOH as well as KOH & whip it into a croap.

9 3,036