09-07-2014, 05:59 AM
User Info
As I was fortunate enough to be in the small initial batch of razors released I wanted to offer my ongoing thoughts of this razor for those considering one in the coming weeks or even years from now. I also don't think the SOTD thread is the best for musings on products.

Tale of the tape:

Razor: Mongoose Stainless Steel SE (51g)
Handle: Dub Legend Stainless Steel (3.9" long, 5/8" diameter, 135g)

Blades I have: Kai Captain Titan Mild; Feather Professional; Feather Super

I started with the Kai Mild blade and will use it until it's done. Then I will move to the Feather Pro & finally the Feather Super.

I look forward to any questions you may have. If there is anything you'd like to hear about or even see, then please ask. I will do what I can to help.

SEnsational. SplEndid. SpEctacular.

[Image: orWlgeo.jpg]

My photo essay on the Mongoose + Dub Legend Handle.

[Image: 196nT7t.jpg]

[Image: 4H6pneB.jpg]

[Image: JHFSqqU.jpg]

[Image: a0JeZCP.jpg]

[Image: KOCVwEP.jpg]

[Image: 1ppd30h.jpg]

[Image: lQnSOgD.jpg]

[Image: LQgSBfd.jpg]

[Image: NiXzUTm.jpg]

Mongoose -- Dub Legend

Well it is out in the wild and is already on fire. This is the first modern SE to hit the market since the Cobra & the only one to be stainless steel. This is a beast of a razor and the "Dub Legend" handle makes it even 'beast-ier'. At 5/8" diameter of solid stainless steel this handle alone comes in at 135g. With the head on and a blade installed the total mass is 186g.

There is currently the option for a slimmer handle, the "Dub Slim" which is 1/2" diameter and comes in at 90g; for a total razor mass of 141g.

Here is my inaugural Mongoose shave...

[Image: DRRU5Af.jpg]

Razor: Mongoose + Dub Legend
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild (1)
Brush: Plisson Pearly Gray Synthetic
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougère (67)
AS: Vintage Aqua Velva Ice Blue

I was a bit rushed with this shave but I wasn't going to pass up the chance to use my new precious. I wasn't thrilled with the Kai Mild blades as they felt slightly tuggy on my ATG pass.

What was impressive though was how quiet the blade was even when tugging. In the Cobra a tugging sensation would lead to blade vibration, or chatter, and then my face would be a minefield of weepers. That was not the case tonight. I did have a couple weepers which were caused by my rushing; one on my Adam's Apple and another just under my chin.

I'm sure the sheer mass and gravitational pull of this razor helps to make it such a smooth shaver. However, the designed angle built into this razor is brilliant. It was simply intuitive to find the proper angle with the Mongoose. The only awkwardness I had was holding such a large handle as this completely blows away the Clog Pruf Micromatic that I normally use.

I have zero irritation and my two wee little weepers cleared up with a single cold water splash before I applied the vintage Velva juice.

Batch #1 is sold out as far as I know. There is no reason to panic, however, as Batch #2 is only weeks away and should be large enough to ensure that all who want one will get one. To be sure that you are on the list just send an email to mongooseorders@gmail.com saying that you want on the list for Batch #2. The Mongoose razor costs $149 shipped to the CONUS and it is worth quite a bit more. Be sure to get in on the next round before they realize that the price should be higher.

My many thanks to Bruce Weber for his passion and drive to bring this razor to fruition. Also to Matt Glass, Paul Bombino, & David Marshburn I thank you for your hours upon hours of sacrificing your face to help bring this razor through 9 prototypes and finally to v10 for this first production run. I highly anticipate future offerings from Mongoose Razors, Inc.

31 8,057
 09-07-2014, 06:18 AM
User Info
Nicely done Brian, hopefully I'll be able to make some comparisons to my Cobra's when the next batch of Mongoose ship out Biggrin

95 2,590
 09-07-2014, 06:24 AM
User Info
Good report. I find the comparison to Cobra quite valuable. Lots of us have used one of those.

32 6,459
 09-07-2014, 06:28 AM
User Info
Great initial review, I'm curious to read more about it. I'm on the list for round 2 and now that all the pics are coming out, I'm even more anxious.

2 51
 09-07-2014, 06:35 AM
User Info
Excellent photos Brian, thanks for the impressions as well.

10 2,062
 09-07-2014, 06:38 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Very nicely presented, Brian.
I look forward to your thoughts as time goes on ...

102 18,652
 09-07-2014, 06:55 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Thanks for sharing Brian! I had one question: Did you find the handle slippery at all during your shave?

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread as I'm quite interesting in picking one up once bigger batches are released Biggrin

34 1,628
 09-07-2014, 07:12 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Very nice, Brian. I don't care for the Kai mild blades in my Cobra, and much prefer Feather Professional blades, and am eager to hear someone's experience with them in the Mongoose.

38 5,109
 09-07-2014, 07:22 AM
User Info
Fantastic pictures and review. I am waiting for batch 2 which hopefully will come in the next couple of weeks.

121 13,122
 09-07-2014, 07:28 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Brian, well done young man.

178 23,809
 09-07-2014, 07:42 AM
User Info
Way to go Brian,thanks for the pics & info,Cheers

20 441
 09-07-2014, 09:07 AM
User Info
Good review, thanks. I'm down for batch 2 Smile

0 3
 09-07-2014, 09:18 AM
User Info
Nice review, Brian. That is a big handle. Is it slippery at all?
Do you know if the slim handle is also shorter?

31 1,800
 09-07-2014, 09:37 AM
  • Rob W
  • Central IL, USA
User Info
(09-07-2014, 09:18 AM)Bowhnter Wrote: Nice review, Brian. That is a big handle. Is it slippery at all?

I did not have any problem with the handle being slippery. The two DUB handles are the same length of 99 mm.

4 633
 09-07-2014, 01:54 PM
User Info
(09-07-2014, 06:55 AM)Giorgio Wrote: Thanks for sharing Brian! I had one question: Did you find the handle slippery at all during your shave?

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread as I'm quite interesting in picking one up once bigger batches are released Biggrin

(09-07-2014, 09:18 AM)Bowhnter Wrote: Nice review, Brian. That is a big handle. Is it slippery at all?

Hi gentlemen. I understand your concern about the handle being slippery given both its sheer weight and the lack of knurling. I was quite surprised at how secure it felt during my shave. This was my first time using such a large handle so I may have been grasping it tighter than I would otherwise. Rest assured that I will be paying close attention to this in the coming shaves.

Also, as Rob stated both the Dub Legend and the Dub Slim are the same length. Their only difference is in diameter (1/8" difference) and resultant change in mass.

31 8,057
 09-07-2014, 02:11 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Nice write up Brian. This has piqued my interest and am looking forward to getting one myself!

27 860
 09-07-2014, 02:32 PM
User Info
Just got on the waiting list. Cannot wait!

Chris

3 208
 09-07-2014, 03:37 PM
User Info
(09-07-2014, 01:54 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(09-07-2014, 06:55 AM)Giorgio Wrote: Thanks for sharing Brian! I had one question: Did you find the handle slippery at all during your shave?

Hi gentlemen. I understand your concern about the handle being slippery given both its sheer weight and the lack of knurling. I was quite surprised at how secure it felt during my shave. This was my first time using such a large handle so I may have been grasping it tighter than I would otherwise. Rest assured that I will be paying close attention to this in the coming shaves.

Also, as Rob stated both the Dub Legend and the Dub Slim are the same length. Their only difference is in diameter (1/8" difference) and resultant change in mass.

Thanks, I do better with wet hands on the cobra, just wondering if I will want the slim, or make my own.

Sounds like a Christmas present from my wife for sure.

31 1,800
 09-07-2014, 04:02 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I'm definitely gonna need to try this one... 2nd batch, here I come! I just need a smaller knurled handle to go with it. Biggrin

26 4,928
 09-07-2014, 04:04 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(09-07-2014, 04:02 PM)TheMonk Wrote: I'm definitely gonna need to try this one... 2nd batch, here I come! I just need a smaller knurled handle to go with it. Biggrin

Just do it ... Angel

102 18,652