05-22-2012, 03:07 PM
  • skeptik
  • The Piedmont, VA
User Info
Does anyone have any experience with the Mason Pearson Shave Brush Line? I like the handles but they do seem to be more expensive than what I think are comparables from Shavemac, Simpson and the like. I have seen no reference to these brushes in any of the shaving forums. Thanks for any advice, recommendation or information anyone can provide.

Walt

0 295
 05-22-2012, 03:20 PM
User Info
(05-22-2012, 03:07 PM)skeptik Wrote: Does anyone have any experience with the Mason Pearson Shave Brush Line? I like the handles but they do seem to be more expensive than what I think are comparables from Shavemac, Simpson and the like. I have seen no reference to these brushes in any of the shaving forums. Thanks for any advice, recommendation or information anyone can provide.

Walt

I've never heard of them before. Do you have any kind of link to some information? How did you hear about them if you can't find any info on the shave forums?

Thanks for bringing this brand to my attention as I'll keep my eyes out for anything that I can come across.

31 7,912
 05-22-2012, 03:35 PM
  • skeptik
  • The Piedmont, VA
User Info
(05-22-2012, 03:20 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(05-22-2012, 03:07 PM)skeptik Wrote: Does anyone have any experience with the Mason Pearson Shave Brush Line? I like the handles but they do seem to be more expensive than what I think are comparables from Shavemac, Simpson and the like. I have seen no reference to these brushes in any of the shaving forums. Thanks for any advice, recommendation or information anyone can provide.

Walt

I've never heard of them before. Do you have any kind of link to some information? How did you hear about them if you can't find any info on the shave forums?

Thanks for bringing this brand to my attention as I'll keep my eyes out for anything that I can come across.

I was wandering around the 'bay and, under a search for "new badger shave brushes", I saw various Mason Pearson Brushes (as well as the Floris shave brush line by the way). I periodically look at ebay for hand made brushes for sale - there are so many master craftsmen out there - and saw the Mason Pearson line, like I wrote earlier, I do like the handle size and design.

0 295
 05-22-2012, 05:05 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
My wife and daughter have the Mason & Pearson HAIR brushes and they enjoy using them every day. Given their ongoing positive experiences with this brand, I was keen to source one of their shaving brushes. I located them at my local department store, but decided not to invest in one. They appeared soft, but lacking in density and backbone. They reminded me of the current Kent BK series, but not quite as luxurious. IMO for the price they were being offered at here in Australia, there are better brushes available.

My observations are simply that. They are derived from only handling the brush and not as a result of using it. I could be under rating an outstanding brush, but I don't think so otherwise I'd have purchased it!

91 17,790
 05-22-2012, 06:40 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
There is a guy on the spanish forum who has one and I asked him about it.He told me he really likes it (is a pure badger one) but for the price,there are better alternatives out there.
I wonder who is the maker behind those brushes.Vulfix maybe?

86 7,123
 05-23-2012, 03:41 AM
  • skeptik
  • The Piedmont, VA
User Info
(05-22-2012, 06:40 PM)Teiste Wrote: There is a guy on the spanish forum who has one and I asked him about it.He told me he really likes it (is a pure badger one) but for the price,there are better alternatives out there.
I wonder who is the maker behind those brushes.Vulfix maybe?

I'm not often surprised by the prices on eBay, but I was shocked at the Mason Pearson Brush prices at each hair grade. If the hair is similar to the Kent line, I'll stay away, as I've commented before, I have floor mops that aren't as floppy! Thanks for the comments.

0 295
 05-23-2012, 05:07 AM
User Info
I think with Mason Pearson shaving brushes, you are paying very much for 'the name'.

They are the world's most respected & revered hair brush manufacturers and I guess this comes into play.

I know Michael Pearson (the owner) on both a personal & business level and I don't think he'd have his name on a shaving brush unless it was of the highest build quality.

As to who produces them, it could be any of the reputable European manufacturers who we all have come to love.

Best,

Mark

1 630
 05-25-2012, 02:50 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Pretty hard to find a review on the M&P shaving brushes. Of course their hair brushes are widely acclaimed (my wife and daughter have 4 between them). The only useful information I did find is that they offer 2 hair grades that are termed "Super" and "Pure".
[attachment=2446]

91 17,790
 05-25-2012, 09:22 AM
User Info
(05-23-2012, 05:07 AM)Simpson1919 Wrote: I think with Mason Pearson shaving brushes, you are paying very much for 'the name'.

They are the world's most respected & revered hair brush manufacturers and I guess this comes into play.

I know Michael Pearson (the owner) on both a personal & business level and I don't think he'd have his name on a shaving brush unless it was of the highest build quality.

As to who produces them, it could be any of the reputable European manufacturers who we all have come to love.

Best,

Mark

Reading between the lines, I believe you to have said volumes. Cool

0 145
 05-25-2012, 10:55 AM
User Info
Before I graduated to Somerset Simpsons my sole shaving brush was a Mason Pearson super. Worked well, but it gradually wore out.

If I try to find a Simpson brush that is closest then it's possibly the Emperor 3. But I would be keen to hear others' views on this.

George

0 6
 05-25-2012, 04:17 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I have the Emperor brushes from Simpsons, but I've never USED a M&P, I've only handled one in the shop that was selling it. I believe given it's prickliness it must have be the Pure and not the Super version.

91 17,790
 05-26-2012, 09:45 AM
  • Fido
  • Unregistered
User Info
(05-23-2012, 05:07 AM)Simpson1919 Wrote: I think with Mason Pearson shaving brushes, you are paying very much for 'the name'.

Best,

Mark

Based on the Isle of Man?

BiggrinBiggrinBiggrin