05-22-2012, 04:02 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,
I frequently travel to Chicago (100 miles south) for some documentary narration gigs, or to see family. Occasionally I stay overnight. For such occasions, I travel light and keep the shave wet pack light, too. Here is the set up, which might work for you too:

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blades: Feather, Gillette 7 O'Clock "SharpEdge" yellows, and Perma-Sharp Super
Soap stick: Manantiales
Travel brush: Simpson Case super badger in travel tube
Pinaud styptic pencil
Alum
Trumper's extract of lime skin food
Taylor of Old Bond Street's No. 74 Victoria Lime aftershave
The DE razor and blade case is all leather by Edwin Jagger
The bigger bag is some type of waterproof non-leather case

[Image: IMG_1438.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1437.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1436.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1435.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1434.jpg]

132 2,614
 05-23-2012, 06:29 AM
  • England
User Info
Fantastic travel kit Obie !.

Great photos . You know, I love travel kit threads bring out the romantic in me. Although i do not do much travelling any more i still like to assemble varying permutations of a travel kit from time to time..........just in case you understand Rolleyes

One of the best compact kits I've seen .

0 110
 05-23-2012, 06:41 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Hello John,
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, the little travel kit works well for me for overnights. For longer trips, I use a replica roll up wet pack used by British officers in WWI. It's packed with everything I need. Here are some photos:

[Image: IMG_1427.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1428.jpg]

132 2,614
 05-23-2012, 06:51 AM
User Info
The officer-style kits sure look cool, but vendors' photos show them empty and flat. It always makes me wonder: if I had a lot of gear and all the pockets, loops, and compartments were full, would it still roll up and fasten? How does yours do?

9 166
 05-23-2012, 07:07 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(05-23-2012, 06:51 AM)middlesmith Wrote: The officer-style kits sure look cool, but vendors' photos show them empty and flat. It always makes me wonder: if I had a lot of gear and all the pockets, loops, and compartments were full, would it still roll up and fasten? How does yours do?
Yes, it does. The two big pockets on the bottom have soap stick (I left it outside in the photo), aftershave, alum, styptic pencil, balm, witch hazel and a few other luxuries.

Just below the shave stick in the photo a long and narrow pocket stretches across. That holds a tiny Merkur/EJ travel razor broken up and fitted in a tiny wallet. Also that pocket holds two or three packets of DE blades, finger nail clipper, a small pocket knife and a few other things.

In the top pocket, above the DE razor in the loop, another narrow pocket stretches across. That holds tooth brush, past, floss and other products.

Yes, everything then neatly rolls up in the wet pack. In the past I used to carry a straight razor, too, although I would put my strop flat in my suitcase. These days I just take a double edge with the little backup.

132 2,614
 05-23-2012, 08:26 AM
  • England
User Info
Thanks for sharing that Obie I love those Roll ups . For me it's the heritage of wet shaving that fascinates me and items like these are like an antenna that just tunes me right in.

Use it well and put many a happy mile behind it

0 110
 05-23-2012, 08:28 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
John, my friend, many thanks for the good wishes. Yes, I, too, embrace the heritage in traditional shaving. Stay well.

132 2,614
 05-23-2012, 09:49 AM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
Those are some really nice travel set-ups. Smile

0 539