09-08-2014, 08:03 AM
User Info
I bought a used Simpson Berkeley 46 to give a Simpsons brush a try. I have a Whipped Dog and Several TGNs as well as Semogue SOC and several over boars. Let me say I was amazed of the small size of this brush but the density and fine hair quality was amazing. I Lathered up MWF and proceeded to have a great shave easy to control the size was perfect for face lathering. Plenty of Lather for more than three passes. To say I am am impressed is am understatement. I get the Simpsons lure and understand the Quality folks speak of. This wont be my Last Simpsons I'm afraid I've entered the slippery slope of higher end brushes. Wink

3 84
 09-08-2014, 10:50 AM
User Info
Simpsons makes a very nice brush. All of my badgers are Simpsons. But I have boars, a horse and synthetics as well and they all have a place in my rotation. I know you didn't state that you were going to give up your other brushes, but that's why I wrote what I did regardless of that. They are all different and all work great.

Edit: Whoops! That's wrong! I have one Rooney and at least one TGN Finest. It felt wrong when I wrote it. Senior moment. :-)

32 6,445
 09-08-2014, 10:55 AM
User Info
I Agree all are Special I just did not expect the Fine hair and knot quality at that price point I guess that is what surprised me so much.

3 84
 09-08-2014, 04:28 PM
User Info
I've yet to try one but hopefully will soon. There's just so many to choose from.

11 230
 09-08-2014, 04:51 PM
User Info
I was just like you too! I tried a Berkeley, then a Duke 2, then a Case (for travel), and a Commodore X1. I have since sold all my other brushes and only have those four Simpson brushes.

I love small knots, and it took the Simpson brushes to figure that out. Their best badger hair is a wonderful bargain for the money!

21 555
 09-08-2014, 07:17 PM
User Info
Congratulations on the brushe! Smile

82 21,056
 09-08-2014, 10:22 PM
User Info
Wait until you try a shavemac.

I have a colonel that is a couple of years old that lathers with ease, a little bit of feedback but from from scritchy. My third brush was a TGN finest though, much softer and more backbone then the best. A lather hog with a little difficulty flow through (bulb) but was very nice.

4 146
 09-08-2014, 10:44 PM
User Info
(09-08-2014, 10:22 PM)Joezamboni Wrote: Wait until you try a shavemac.

I have a colonel that is a couple of years old that lathers with ease, a little bit of feedback but from from scritchy. My third brush was a TGN finest though, much softer and more backbone then the best. A lather hog with a little difficulty flow through (bulb) but was very nice.

I was waiting to read why regarding the shavemac.

32 6,445
 09-09-2014, 12:00 AM
User Info
My first simpson, a colonel, impressed me, my first shavemac (a silvertip fan @ 23mm/46mm) amazed me. Similar splay and flow through as my colonel but with a wonderful cushion and amazingly soft tips. Bernd responded to so many other users questions so timely I found the perfect loft/knot size just doing some searching on the forums and didn't feel like if I did ask that it would go unanswered. I received a brush that fit my needs perfectly due to being able to customize. The knot alone has an aura of quality with its even hair and loss of only two hairs on the first use (none since).

I may get a Duke 2 eventually, but I'm having a hard time not pulling the trigger on another shavemac (D01 three band or two band silvertip). Rudy Vey's close ties also means I don't have to be unhappy with the handle either.

4 146
 09-09-2014, 02:13 AM
  • joedy
  • Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
User Info
A Duke is a good step up from your Berkley.

Like they say: Go big or go home.

-joedy

12 87
 09-09-2014, 03:52 AM
User Info
The Berkley is an awesome brush and will give you an idea of Simpson DNA. Try brushes in different hair types like Super three-band, two-band and Manchurian. I highly recommend the Duke 3, M7 and Chubby 2. Enjoy the journey Biggrin

23 474
 09-09-2014, 11:40 AM
User Info
My first entry into the world of Simpsons brushes was a CASE which I still use for travel. Still preferred my TGN finest but definitely a step up in terms of handle quality.

Since then I have purchases the P8 and most recently the M6. Still need to try the 2-Band super hair but I am reluctant to spend that much.

Maybe 2015 will bring another excellent value in the form of the TSN LE...Tongue

1 57
 09-09-2014, 12:18 PM
User Info
The Wee Scot continues to intrigue me, and if I ever feel like dropping a couple of bills, I like what I see of the Chubby.

8 896