09-09-2014, 08:01 AM
User Info
I'm hoping someone can clear things up a bit. I'm thinking of getting a fatboy replated in nickel by Razor Emporium but I'm a little hesitant. I've actually been watching the Emporium for a couple of years now and wanted to try out the revamp service but havn't because I've read alot of very negative reviews and what I consider nightmares that have occurred by using Razor Emporium on B&B as well as the web but recently I read a post here on the ShaveNook that someone named Matt had straightened all the service issues out. Is this true? I'm serching for a U.S. plater that does as well of a job as say Krona Kruiser for instance. With a reputable background. I've read that the Emporium does excellent work as well as nightmares that have happened in the past, which seems very inconsistant to me.Confused Scared

I recently had another replater do some work for me that wasn't up to par IMHO even after sending it back for a second strip & replate, alone in its very own tanks mind you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 589
 09-09-2014, 08:09 AM
User Info
I'm with you. I'd love to hear some information on this as well.

1 1,975
 09-09-2014, 09:21 AM
User Info
(09-09-2014, 08:09 AM)C-NoEviL Wrote: I'm with you. I'd love to hear some information on this as well.

Me too!! Their website seems professional.

3 218
 09-09-2014, 10:23 AM
User Info
I've seen too many negative reviews of Razor Emporium to even consider doing business with them. I have a razor out for replating somewhere else now and I'll let you know how it goes.

15 771
 09-09-2014, 10:26 AM
User Info
Right,it does seem very professional. There has to be a number of members that have used them in the past, what were your individual experiences?

I sent a PM containing the same inquiries directly to Razor Emporium yesterday but havn't received a response from them yet. Hopefully within a day or two I'll get some feedback from them as well.

(09-09-2014, 10:23 AM)guildx500 Wrote: I've seen too many negative reviews of Razor Emporium to even consider doing business with them. I have a razor out for replating somewhere else now and I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks, that would be great. I'd like to know for future reference. (With pics please)

6 589
 09-09-2014, 11:13 AM
User Info
Same here... love to know where.

1 1,975
 09-09-2014, 11:44 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
If you check this thread a few posts down, LORDBISHOP used Razor Emporium to replate 3 vintage Gillette's and it came out great.

I like you have read about the negative experiences them in the past, but I think I've seen him post here before (Matt or someone from RE). Overall the thread is a positive experience when the razors were returned.

good luck on your decision.

35 1,329
 09-09-2014, 02:00 PM
User Info
I personally used Chris Evatt at RazorPlate to replate a '58 Exec in gold. It came out amazing.
Herm2502

Isn't this fun?

1 66
 09-09-2014, 02:06 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I used RE to gold plate my Tech. I have been very happy with the job and the service. I used another local plater before RE and I have a horror story about them. Anyway, RE has been through a lot of changes and I think they are a reliable vendor.

19 566
 09-09-2014, 03:26 PM
User Info
RE used to send out the razors for plating. Last I heard, they were starting to do it in-house.

0 128
 09-09-2014, 05:41 PM
User Info
(09-09-2014, 03:26 PM)Billy Goatee Wrote: RE used to send out the razors for plating. Last I heard, they were starting to do it in-house.

Thanks for all the feedback. I was able to get in touch with Matt from RE and he gave me his cell number. I'm calling him tomorrow.

6 589
 09-09-2014, 05:53 PM
User Info
Sounds good!! Maybe RE can chime in too.

3 218
 09-09-2014, 06:14 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I know RE had some negative feedback a while back, from situations that occurred back when it was under a different ownership structure. Matt is now the sole owner and has gone through great efforts to make sure any "bad" history does not repeat itself.

I've had a few razors replated and the results have been outstanding. Matt is a great guy to deal with and very knowledgeable, and seems to make it a priority to do right by his customers.

... At least that my experience with RE. It's hard to avoid negative feedback, but things are certainly different there, so take that for what it's worth.

34 1,628
 09-10-2014, 07:57 AM
  • cmh8890
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
I just had 4 of my Gillette razors re-plated. I had my 40s Super Speed and Slim done by Chris @ RazorPlate; and my Aristocrat (W1) and Flare Tip SS (J2) done by Razor Emporium.

Customer service was equally great by both; they both were in constant communication (vie email) throughout the entire process. Both took 8 weeks to complete (lots of re-plating occurring now). Both look great. The 40s SS was re-plated in nickel and the Slim in rhodium (from RazorPlate); and the Aristocrat was re-plated in gold (of course) and the Flare Tip SS in rhodium (from Razor Emporium).

I too was leery of Razor Emporium's past history of negative reviews, but gave them a shot anyway. I am HAPPY to report that they did an OUTSTANDING job!

Bottom line: I view customer service equal for both (excellent); but in terms of the actual re-plate finished product, I give the edge to Razor Emporium. The finish (from Razor Emporium) is brighter, and you can tell that any blemish or slight pitting has been buffed out - looks new. And they really do a nice revamp included. The doors are much smoother to open and close now than they were. So all in all, I will do business with Razor Emporium again. As a matter of fact, think about sending them my Red Tip SS today.

Hope this review helps.

13 648
 09-10-2014, 08:20 AM
User Info
(09-09-2014, 06:14 PM)Giorgio Wrote: I know RE had some negative feedback a while back, from situations that occurred back when it was under a different ownership structure. Matt is now the sole owner and has gone through great efforts to make sure any "bad" history does not repeat itself.

I've had a few razors replated and the results have been outstanding. Matt is a great guy to deal with and very knowledgeable, and seems to make it a priority to do right by his customers.

... At least that my experience with RE. It's hard to avoid negative feedback, but things are certainly different there, so take that for what it's worth.

Agreed. Very difficult to avoid negative feedback.
Thanks for this post. I am gaining more confidence in Matt and RE.

1 1,975
 09-10-2014, 10:50 AM
User Info
Hi Guys- Matt Pisarcik, owner of Razor Emporium here.

When I first started the business in 2009, I was working with a friend and moon-lighted the entire thing when I got home from my day job.

Keeping up with customer service was not a strong suite of mine. And with how quickly our service picked up, organization and accountability suffered.

In February of last year I quit my day job and focused solely on the business I had began. My former partner and I decided to split, and to say the least, a commitment to customer service / experience was a considerable factor.

My wife and I run it together today. We also have gotten professional with it - no more garage / living room based business.

We moved into a 1400 square feet workshop last October and have worked to build an ideal environment for working on razors.

We have a dedicated polishing with full time technicians I've trained. They work on nothing but razors all day, every day and have every imaginable tool to their disposal for cleaning, repairing, polishing, disassembling and fixing razors available to them.

We are currently building out a plating room that is using full size tanks - no hobby / back room jewelry shop beaker tank set-up here. We hope to have it operational in the next 30-45 days.

Some photos of all this can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a...247&type=3

We launched a new website this year on 1/1/2014 to help symbolize all the changes that have been made in the company. We even produced a short video to talk about this change:

Today I focus my time on building our business and improving what we do. My lovely wife Tiffany is not only a major advocate of women's shaving and moderates the Ladie's Corner section on Straight Razor Place but she now handles the customer service and does a better job than I ever did at it.

We have improved the way we organize and move razors throughout the entire process. We have these awesome hooks / bags that keep razors with their paperwork no matter where they are in our shop now.

[Image: bags.jpg]

We even mark ALL razors with a small mark that is individual / unique and ensures absolutely that customer get back the same razor they sent.

--

We did make mistakes in the past. We have learned from them, and worked to improve everything we do. I'm proud to say we have done over 5,000 revamps and most of the customers you'll never hear from. The ones that either didn't come out as expected or we dropped the ball somewhere in the past - their words will echo on in internet history.

Currently we receive 40-60 razors a week from customers from all around the world. We have a turn around time of 4-6 weeks in most cases and hope to have that down to 1 week by Fall.

Our new site allows for reviews from actual customers about our services. I have not censored any of these and you can read what others are saying out the revamp process here:
http://www.razoremporium.com/razor-revamp-service/
(scroll below youtube video)

I am committed to improving what we do and providing the best customer experience possible. I know we do the best work in the community because of our ability to repair, resurface and finish the razors to an exacting standard that you'd expect from a company dedicated to nothing other than Shaving equipment.

I hope this message can help to clear up any questions there have been about my company. If anyone would like to speak to me directly about what we do, please PM me and I'd be happy to provide my cell number.

Thanks so much guys!

0 219
 09-10-2014, 11:00 AM
User Info
(09-09-2014, 08:01 AM)captain caveman Wrote: I'm hoping someone can clear things up a bit. I'm thinking of getting a fatboy replated in nickel by Razor Emporium but I'm a little hesitant. I've actually been watching the Emporium for a couple of years now and wanted to try out the revamp service but havn't because I've read alot of very negative reviews and what I consider nightmares that have occurred by using Razor Emporium on B&B as well as the web but recently I read a post here on the ShaveNook that someone named Matt had straightened all the service issues out. Is this true?

Hi there,

So you read a bunch of negative stuff and you want someone to talk you into using them. After doing a search (like you were smart to do), you're hoping things are ok now. Far as I know they are still banned on some (not just one) forums.

Matt in an owner and I would be skeptical of anything he might say to drum up more business. He and I have gone a few rounds in the past and it wasn't pleasant.

So there's some positive remarks in this thread, which is good to see. How about anyone with a poor experience typing something? Anybody have some issues with how long things took or the quality of the work done? People like posting positive things but hesitate posting anything the other way. We are basically a polite group and don't want any feelings hurt. I may be way off the mark posting something negative, but maybe not.

Martin

1 79
 09-10-2014, 12:04 PM
  • cmh8890
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
I respectfully disagree with your assertion that people are hesitant to post negative reviews, or opine that they didn't care for something. I have no problem stating my opinion on a product/service/vendor if based on my experience. And my recent experience with Razor Emporium was very positive. I was glad to read Matt's post. Sounds like he is committed to building his company and image. From my experience, he's moving in the right direction.

Chris

13 648
 09-10-2014, 12:09 PM
User Info
Martin - so glad you are here to chat.

In regards to Badger and Blade- YES I am banned there. That happened in 2007, 2 years before I incorporated Razor Emporium. I was banned for a political statement regarding 9/11.

I was young and immature - decided to circumvent the ban and re-registered.

That was my mistake. I stay far away from there now.

We asked for permission to rejoin as a paying vendor to many of the shaving forums with no luck.

Shave My Face and Shave Den both banned my personal accounts for no given reason - it was within a day of the B&B ban- go figure.

Lynn Abrams of SRP re-instituted my account on SRP recently. I am also a paying advertiser / supporter of THIS forum and tell people often it's a great resource.

We are members of Wicked_Edge and Wet Shavers on Reddit and post often.

We belong to nearly 20 facebook pages on vintage shaving and help members everyday with ID'ing gillette's, shaving tips and advice.

We produce high quality YouTube videos to help with educating the public on wet-shaving.

http://www.razoremporium.com/wet-shaving...on/#videos

We have worked to scan thousands of original Gillette materials and made them freely available on our site Razor Archive.

Martin - I have no need to drum up business, we are busier than ever and I just hired a new technician yesterday. I am here to respond to a thread on a page that I generally like. Captain Caveman and I spoke this morning and he asked me to respond, as many others did here.

Martin you are welcome to say whatever you want - this is the internet afterall and it evens the playing field of communication between every company and every consumer.

It's a tricky thing though - running a web-based service business of antique jewelry. Every bad thing you ever done can be pulled up in a quick google search. However many of the good things never see much light of day.

In fact, many of our customers have told us that after posting Positive reviews on B&B and other sites, the post was deleted and sometimes even their accounts banned.

McDonalds messes up a large percentage of their drive thru and walk in business - yet we all go back to them because they're on every corner and every town. You'll give them another shot. But a website is just an X away from never needing to be in your psyche again.

My business and practices today have evolved and changed with time. It's hard to be held accountable to things that are years old and only show how much you've changed.

Hope that clears things up. Thanks Martin.

0 219
 09-10-2014, 12:34 PM
User Info
^ from the man himself at RE. Thank you for responding!!!

3 218