09-09-2014, 08:42 PM
  • WriteNoob
  • Eau Claire, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Wife walks up to the counter, "Excuse me, but could you help me figure out how much my award points are worth? I've never used any of them."

"Yes, Ma-am. Do you know how many points you've accumulated?"

"58,500 points."

Condescending smile, the head tilts, a flick of expensively dyed auburn hair, "You mean fifty-eight hundred, fifty."

I see those lovely eyes narrow a touch, and her smile turns just a bit predatory. I get that nervous itch, between my shoulder blades, and my left eye gives a single twitch. I know that look. "No, Sweety. I mean fifty-eight thousand, five hundred points."

Translation: be a dear, and don't make me embarrass your superior, twenty-something self in front of all these nice people. Luckily, the youngster gets it, and, long story short, we discover we have seventy bucks in store credit. My trip goes from a single puck of cheap shave soap to,"you should get those aftershaves you've been eyeing."

[Image: VBBFAjW.jpg]

Lately, I've really been drawn to these old Five & Dime scents, that I remember smelling whenever I was around the grown men I knew, as a child. There have always been more sophisticated, more expensive, and arguably better scents. But the men I looked up to, the ones who worked so hard to put food on the table, always seemed to smell like one of these. I'm about their age, now, and I gotta say, I work pretty damned hard to put food on the table. Could I afford top shelf? Sure. I sometimes do, actually. But, honestly? A guy could do a lot worse, I think, than to smell like those guys.

0 58
 09-09-2014, 09:03 PM
User Info
Well... I can stand myself for a while with one of those three!

My own father stopped using them before I was a teenager, I think, and fell into generic witch-hazel. He was a frugal dude.

Very nice writing, by the way.

7 315
 09-09-2014, 10:00 PM
User Info
My dad used brut when I was a kid and I used Aqua Velva until 23-24 yrs. I actually like it!!

3 218
 09-09-2014, 10:33 PM
  • WriteNoob
User Info
(09-09-2014, 10:00 PM)Rallypoint_1 Wrote: My dad used brut when I was a kid and I used Aqua Velva until 23-24 yrs. I actually like it!!

I'd never actually worn the Aqua Velva or Clubman. Clubman was last night, and I tried the Aqua Velva, tonight. Liked the Clubman, but the A.V., wow! Liked the smell, loved the menthol. And my wife liked them both.

She loves how smooth my face is, this last month, since I started with the DE, and the multi pass shaving, so I think she's prepared to humor me, a bit.

0 58
 09-09-2014, 10:48 PM
User Info
I never used Clubman, but Aqua is nice! I liked it because it didn't sting like Old Spice. Felt nice, cool and refreshing. Glad you tried it!!

I am in the same boat. I ask my wife to feel my face hoping for a comment. She comments on how smooth it is. She's being sincere but also humoring me as well.LOL

3 218
 09-09-2014, 10:49 PM
User Info
(09-09-2014, 08:42 PM)WriteNoob Wrote: Wife walks up to the counter, "Excuse me, but could you help me figure out how much my award points are worth? I've never used any of them."

"Yes, Ma-am. Do you know how many points you've accumulated?"

"58,500 points."

Condescending smile, the head tilts, a flick of expensively dyed auburn hair, "You mean fifty-eight hundred, fifty."

I see those lovely eyes narrow a touch, and her smile turns just a bit predatory. I get that nervous itch, between my shoulder blades, and my left eye gives a single twitch. I know that look. "No, Sweety. I mean fifty-eight thousand, five hundred points."

Translation: be a dear, and don't make me embarrass your superior, twenty-something self in front of all these nice people. Luckily, the youngster gets it, and, long story short, we discover we have seventy bucks in store credit. My trip goes from a single puck of cheap shave soap to,"you should get those aftershaves you've been eyeing."

[Image: VBBFAjW.jpg]

Lately, I've really been drawn to these old Five & Dime scents, that I remember smelling whenever I was around the grown men I knew, as a child. There have always been more sophisticated, more expensive, and arguably better scents. But the men I looked up to, the ones who worked so hard to put food on the table, always seemed to smell like one of these. I'm about their age, now, and I gotta say, I work pretty damned hard to put food on the table. Could I afford top shelf? Sure. I sometimes do, actually. But, honestly? A guy could do a lot worse, I think, than to smell like those guys.

I found Brut a little too brutal for my liking. It made my eyes water.

But Aqua Velva Ice Blue and Sport Green are just fine.
Their Musk is my favourite of all the after shaves I have tried.
So they are rotated but Musk is also used for special occasions.

Mickey

0 53
 09-09-2014, 10:51 PM
  • WriteNoob
User Info
Is it just me, or is Brut softer and milder than it used to be? Haven't taken a whiff off the bottle in years, but when I did, yesterday, it seemed less rough than I remember.

0 58
 09-10-2014, 05:09 AM
User Info
(09-09-2014, 10:33 PM)WriteNoob Wrote: I'd never actually worn the Aqua Velva or Clubman. Clubman was last night, and I tried the Aqua Velva, tonight. Liked the Clubman, but the A.V., wow! Liked the smell, loved the menthol. And my wife liked them both.

She loves how smooth my face is, this last month, since I started with the DE, and the multi pass shaving, so I think she's prepared to humor me, a bit.
Interesting - the A-V is the one of those three I can use. The "powdery scent" of some splashes is just way too much for me, I feel like my lungs are being dessicated. My recollection is that Clubman dried my skin a bit, too. Some of the modern powdery-smelling splashes are a bit better for me. It's too bad because I do understand romanticizing the old-time stuff.

7 315
 09-10-2014, 06:27 AM
User Info
I used this in the 70's:

[Image: 7YgMnCy.jpg]

Dad used this:

Old Spice
Skin Bracer

0 1,007
 09-10-2014, 06:58 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
That Hai Karate looks intriguing. Thought the same about Old Spice Musk, got a vintage bottle, and it was nowhere near the memory I had! Ha ha. But Hai Karate was a softer aroma. Maybe my older brother has some. Thanks for the memories

19 726
 09-10-2014, 08:30 AM
User Info
This subject reminds me of a beer stand we have at our baseball stadium in Cleveland. It's called "Your Father's Beer" or something like that. They have Blatz and Schlitz and whatnot. My dad didn't drink beer too often, and I don't recall a particular aftershave, so I suppose I will have to explore both on my own. Smile

0 1,053
 09-10-2014, 02:42 PM
User Info
I just started using Aqua Velva and Stetson cooling moisture for the same reason. I like smelling like my father and grandfather would have.

1 35
 09-10-2014, 03:31 PM
  • WriteNoob
User Info
(09-10-2014, 06:27 AM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote: I used this in the 70's:

Dad used this:

Old Spice
Skin Bracer

Had a foster father, 'round 76-77, that wore that. He had the original and the lime. Didn't that come in a tall square bottle, back them? Saw it by the sink, every day, but can't remember clearly, now. I haven't been able to locate any, yet. Hope it's still out there, somewhere.

0 58
 09-10-2014, 03:57 PM
User Info
I like" OLD SCHOOL" aqua, brut, & clubman. I was born in the 70s so all I remember is the loasd aroma of English Leather which my father continues to wear on a daily basis for some reason.

6 589
 09-10-2014, 04:14 PM
User Info
(09-10-2014, 06:27 AM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote: I used this in the 70's:

Dad used this:

Old Spice
Skin Bracer

OMG, me too. Thumbsup

39 3,875
 09-11-2014, 11:19 AM
User Info
Here's a 1969 Avon "Wild Country" Aftershave car.

[Image: YR6jorM.jpg]

0 1,007
 09-11-2014, 01:39 PM
User Info
The only others I remember you didn't mention was Canoe & English Leather.I don't know how old you are but I'm 68 Still remember that 4711 & Clubman Water Lily fragrance Wafting in the barber shop where dad & me would go every 3rd week for hair cuts.Then I would really envy him when he would get the hot towel straight razor shave.The towels used to be stored in a large metal key hole shaped container,but the barber always put some of the left over shave crean from the hot dispeser on my side burns.Ahh the good old fragrences [:}

20 441
 09-17-2014, 08:13 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
My father used Old Spice. My parents divorced and the smell went with him. My mom sold Avon to survive. My two brothers began shaving and used Old Spice. They saw the AVON samples as a threat. My brothers turned into my father. I rebelled against both. My scent wasn't in lockstep with the 60s rebellion or retrenchment via Aqua Velva. No, I tried Lilac Vegetal; a full half bottle and even the slowest members of our track team passed me during practice.
Then I discovered Guerlain Imperiale and it was my signature scent until discovering Alt Innsbruk and a few others at more reasonable cost.It was actually not dissimilar to Old Spice in concept, only it has that lovely beehive bottle and not the milkglass, sailing ship and do as the family does psychy.Cool

2 3,171
 10-03-2014, 12:28 PM
User Info
Born in 69 so I can recall some of these scents in use by my dad and grandfathers.

I didn't like Old Spice in the 70s, 80s, or 90s, but now I keep some around. I tend to cut it 50/50 with some witch hazel to tone it down a notch. My wife even comments on liking it then, though she admits to not liking the 100% strength that much. A favorite ( to this day ) of my father.

AV I keep in the Ice Sport, Original, and Musk versions. Summer time gets the Ice Sport and Original, and the cooler temperatures see the Musk getting some steady use.

Clubman is a steady favorite. This is the scent I recall my grandfather using. He always splashed a little on after getting home from the mill. A 'scentimental' favorite for me as it reminds me of him.

English Leather has a spot in my Shave Den, but it doesn't get heavy use. I don't recall anyone of the older gents in my family using it much.

Canoe AS and cologne get a good bit of use by me. I usually pick up some after Christmas as it seems to be one of those scents that get pushed heavily during the holidays. It has a strong resemblance to both Brut and Clubman to me.

I have some Brut splash, but the Clubman and Canoe seem to me to be a 'better' take on a similar scent. However, it was a mainstay in my teen years ( late 80s ). I will use it periodically, but the Mrs doesn't care for it much so it's not disappearing at a fast rate, and probably will not be restocked after its final days.

0 252
 10-03-2014, 02:01 PM
  • WriteNoob
User Info
I now have a bathroom shelf full of all the 70's stuff I remember. I've been cycling through it all, as the whim takes me. Unfortunately, the olfactory hammer has fallen, and I think I'm going to be on the hunt for something much more expensive. When I bought my straight razor, the company forgot to ship one of the items I ordered. I emailed, they apologized, and sent the item, along with a good sized pile of different scents. Penhaligon's Bayolea has blown both myself, and my wife away. Now all I have to do is fence a kidney, so I can go out and start buying some. I'm sure they also have other scents that I'll love, as well. Anybody have need of a lightly used spleen?

0 58