09-10-2014, 04:35 PM
User Info
Thinking of adding a styptic pencil to my medicine cabinet. Is a pencil a pencil or What should I look for ?

0 3
 09-10-2014, 04:42 PM
User Info
Walmart carries the Pinaud stick in the shaving section. At least they do here in SE Lousiana. Look for green package around the aftershaves and balms.

A better solution (for me anyway) is something called "My Nick Is Sealed". You can get it online and it works better with less evidence of use on your skin.

4 952
 09-10-2014, 05:16 PM
User Info
The Pinaud sticks are sold in just about every drug store too. They work fine, but they're a solid stick that you have to wet, and they can leave a chalky sort of residue. I've never used My Nik Is Sealed, but I believe it is a liquid, which would seem to be easier to apply.

0 1,072
 09-10-2014, 05:20 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Styptic gel would be my suggestion of which, there are several brands.

46 18,380
 09-10-2014, 07:54 PM
User Info
One styptic pencil will last a lifetime and it's inexpensive.

The residue dissolves easily and after using it it's quite easy to get rid of. A bit of water does it. Once it's done it's job it's no longer needed. Just be careful moving the skin in the area so as not to break it open again.

32 6,460
 09-10-2014, 08:26 PM
User Info
Thanks all

0 3
 11-01-2014, 07:55 AM
User Info
dropped my styptic and now I have two

73 1,297
 11-01-2014, 09:33 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I call it a styptic pen, but really it is neither; you're not writing with it, no matter what you call it. Call it what you like.
I think "stick" is a better descriptor, by the way. But I'm used to calling it what I do, and doubt I'll be able to change. It's not real high on my list of important things to remember, anyway.

2 1,683
 11-01-2014, 09:53 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I too call it a pen Mike.

I've tried the gels, but I can't get them to work as well as the pen does. I don't need it often, but when I do it works like a charm. And you don't have to use it just for shaving. It works for any minor cut. I have them in our first aid kits as well. CVS sells a big fat one, but I prefer the small clubman that you can find at Walmart and Walgreens.

They last forever and ever. So grab a couple and slide one in your cabinet and one in your dopp kit and next knick you get you'll love it...

18 1,186
 11-01-2014, 10:16 AM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
I got mine at Rite Aid, $2 for 2 of them when they were on sale the other week.

2 479
 11-01-2014, 10:22 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Yeah, I don't like to fuss around with nicks and weepers. I know guys who say, "First I'll try cold water. If that doesn't work, then Witch Hazel. If that doesn't work, alum, and then if that doesn't work, styptic."
That seems like an awfully drawn out process. I just want to stop the bleeder and move on with the shaving. The styptic does that quite handily. YMMV.

2 1,683
 11-01-2014, 10:59 AM
User Info
I keep one around as well..gosh, I've probably have had it for at least 5+ years now.

I used to use an alum block until I realized that the alum was the reason my face felt like it was on fire after I'd shave.

40 5,830
 11-01-2014, 12:29 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I avoided them after my first shave and the ensuing bloodbath and sting. I mean, it's the 60s and George Carlin and the musical HAIR were popular.
Then I saw some old Viking movie. You've seen the scene in countless movies. The hero has a near mortal wound and nearly passes out from a war arrow being pulled out. Then 4 men hold him down as a fifth applies a white hot iron to cauterize the wound.
I dug my stick out of the trashBiggrin

2 3,171
 11-01-2014, 12:42 PM
User Info
Cold water always seems to work, very well, and leaves no messy residue, and so does alum. Biggrin

83 21,081
 11-01-2014, 06:25 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Mine is never far away. My 1st shave with an OCMM, the only reason I didn't bleed out was my trusty styptic pencil....lol Not as necessary as it once was, I still every now and then get a slash of styptic proportions....lol

5 1,151
 11-02-2014, 07:53 AM
User Info
I use the Proraso styptic gel personally. Well, used it a while ago and now I barely every need it. I do recommend it though, it does work like magic Cool

0 62
 11-13-2014, 10:36 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I'm fumbling about in the predawn this morning. PAIN as I step barefooted on a screw that fell out of the iron dropped yesterday and disintegrated.
I'm impaled, bleeding profusely and pressure just isn't working. Pyewacket is howling and pacing nearby, smoke alarm goes off from burning bacon and neighbor turns on her Salsa music LOUD to start her day.
I grab my old styptic from the dark recess of my drawer and literally plug the puncture with it. It stops bleeding and I apply a pressure bandage.

2 3,171
 11-13-2014, 01:26 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(11-01-2014, 10:22 AM)SRNewb Wrote: That seems like an awfully drawn out process. I just want to stop the bleeder and move on with the shaving. The styptic does that quite handily. YMMV.

Wait. You use the styptic pencil in the middle of a shave? While I rarely see weepers or nicks any more, when I do see red patches in the midst of the white lather, I just keep shaving until the job is finished, and deal wih the blood after I have rinsed off my face.

FWIW, when cold water is not sufficient by itself to stanch the blood flow, I use another Clubman Pinaud product, "Nick Relief," which is a liquid in a small vial with a fabric-top applicator at the end. Works well.

1 1,089
 11-13-2014, 01:36 PM
User Info
I use the Nick Stick and I love it (well I don't love it because it means I got a nick or weeper, but I love its efficacy). Its usually my answer to the "what product is absolutely indispensable" question.

I had a styptic pen/pencil that I bought at a drug store and I didn't like it because of the residue and because its relatively fragile. They usually come in a pretty flimsy plastic case. The Nick Stick (or another similar one, My Nik Is Sealed) is a liquid styptic and comes in a plastic tube, similar to a lip balm case and has a roll-on applicator. It goes on clear and has some good ingredients like aloe and vitamin E in it. I've had one Nick Stick for the past 6 years and it seems to still be going strong.

84 1,505
 11-13-2014, 02:51 PM
User Info
Clubman's Styptic is the only one that I use and it works instantly. Yeah, it leaves a residue, but just wash it off after maybe 30 seconds, if that, and then you're ready to apply your AF or balm. It stops the bleeding right away, and any man worth his salt can handle the quick burn if cut deep.

1 1,975