09-11-2014, 09:03 PM
  • WriteNoob
  • Eau Claire, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
So, my new Feather was waiting at my door, when I got home, this evening. I decided to chance the large expenditure after reading about it preferring something around 45 degrees, for a shaving angle. That happens to be right where my hand wants to hold a razor, when I'm not paying close attention to my weekday shaves, when I'm pressed for time, and still working my way through my first cup of coffee. So this post reflects my test of those conditions. A quick shower, no pretreat, slap on some Cremo, go at it until I'm smooth, and then a quick splash of something with some zing and a nice smell. This is the the, "Oh, crap! I'm late!", shave, and it happens a couple times a season. But I digress.

I took it inside, cleaned up a bit, and with my wife looking on, opened it up. Exceptional packaging, if you're into that sort of thing. I am. It even got a few 'oooh's' out of my wife. The razor was very firmly cocooned in some seriously firm foam, but the second I managed to extricate it, it got its first 'wow!' from me. The impression of thoughtful engineering and build quality were immediate. Excellent balance, combined with just enough weight. No bad joints, seems, or finish imperfections were apparent. As I replaced everything but the razor, and carefully re folded the wrap, I explained to my wife that like new packaging might get a better resale price, if it didn't work out.

Yeah, I'm not sellin' it.

[Image: ZSke4vW.jpg]

As for the shave, it was great. Two passes produced an easy DFS, which is where I would normally stop, on a work day morning. But, the thing is, my face was literally still as comfortable as when I started shaving. So, I decided to go all the way. Four passes and a few touch ups later, and I was still comfortable. And, I had a really, really smooth face. You know that odd kind of super-smooth, where you feel your face and it actually doesn't feel right? That's what I had. First time I've had it over my entire face and neck, though. I usually only notice it in patches, after a shave. I rinsed off and rubbed down with the alum block, and felt a bit of a string, at the tip of my chin, where I usually have to do many passes to get it perfect. Other than that, all was well. I'm thinking some of this is due to my being close to a month into DE shaving, with the attendant improvements in technique, but still. I celebrated my success with a healthy splash of Aqua Velva, and crowned the Feather AS-D2 as my new front line razor.

As a fun aside, I finally know what people mean when they say that a razor 'sings'. As this Feather goes through single whiskers, like I have high up on my cheeks, it makes little 'tinks' of sound. When it runs through more heavily populated areas of my face, like the sideburns, close to my ear it actually makes a sort of ringing sound, reminding me of the sound of a wet finger on crystal.

It only makes sense that this razor would be designed around the Feather blade, and it certainly tamed it, in my case. I did receive a shipment of Polsilver SI's in the mail, today, as well. I'll be trying them in the 89Ll, to see if comfort improves. I'll probably just stick with the Feathers, in the D2.

Is it foolish to spend so much money on something as ubiquitous and simple as a razor? I have to say that it is an extravagance. But in terms of value over time, I'd have to say yes, it's worth it. There's a very real chance that I'll start my last day on this earth, hopefully long hence, shaving with this razor, or one like it. I'm only 46 years old, and would really like to think that I've got another 30 left in me. That's roughly six bucks a year, for a razor. At one a week, that's 1,500 plus cartridges, over that thirty years. I was paying around three bucks a pop, for my Fusions. Figure in some spendy blades, at 30 cents a piece, and three tins of 25 dollar soap, and you're still bucks-up over carts and cans. Without too much cyphering, I'd ballpark it out to 18 months at break even. That's with some pretty extravagant consumables, too. In my case, the top reason I got it was simple.

A combination of some serious overtime (disposable income), and RAD (trinkets and treats, for all those extra hours).

Cheers, everyone. Biggrin

0 58
 09-11-2014, 09:26 PM
User Info
The way you described this setting and shave right now, made me feel like I was the one shaving. Lol, my wife said "the whole time you were reading, your mouth was open!" lol, go figure!

That is a beautiful razor and I'd love to have this same experience one day. BTW, I bet you will be living longer than just another 30 years!

1 1,975
 09-11-2014, 09:34 PM
  • WriteNoob
User Info
(09-11-2014, 09:26 PM)C-NoEviL Wrote: BTW, I bet you will be living longer than just another 30 years!

I like the way you think!

Thank you, for the kind words. I'm sure I'll pick up other razors, over time, especially vintage models, but I'm definitely seeing this as my go-to unit, on a day-to-day basis. Genuinely fun to use, and it allows me to concentrate on the other facets, like soaps, brushes, etc, and how they're working.

0 58
 09-11-2014, 09:44 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I've had this razor in the past and although I prefer others I have to agree that it is a fantastic razor. Enjoy it for many years to come!

28 1,433
 09-11-2014, 09:58 PM
User Info
Excellent description of your experience. I especially like the AS-D2 with a high-quality vintage blade such as the Schick Plus Platinum and would recommend that you try that.

206 12,189
 09-11-2014, 10:15 PM
User Info
Congrats on the new razor and the shave.

7 315
 09-12-2014, 01:25 AM
User Info
I was thinking about purchasing this razor on Ebay weeks ago. Whoever set that price at Feather are reaching quite a bit. $200. I've only tried the ASD1 and I'm aware of it's design flaw, which makes it even worse. It's doesn't cut you or cause irritation. Maybe that's why it leaves you with a face full of stubble. People who are going after that look. you've found your razor. The Pils Safety Razor is the other one. They set the mark for being overpriced and overrated razors. They're not lacking in performance, well they are, but you try not tell yourself that. You can say well it's not the end result that matters (but it really does matter) but it's how you get there. I can think of five different razors that I would rather use than this one. Financially, it's not like it's out of people's reach. Ikons, which looks to be the same razor; and ATT's are less expensive; even Joris is there. The Feather is great, but the asking price is just plain nuts. I only used it for a couple weeks and I just didn't like the way it shaved. I would pay $100 for but not $200.]

0 45
 09-12-2014, 02:10 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
(09-12-2014, 01:25 AM)JBMAN1974 Wrote: I've only tried the ASD1 and I'm aware of it's design flaw, which makes it even worse. It's doesn't cut you or cause irritation. Maybe that's why it leaves you with a face full of stubble.

I agree about the price point. I tried a AS-D1 and got the same bad results but then later got another one in loan and that one shaved really good (there seems to be some batches with problems out there). The AS-D2 was even better but too mild for me.

28 1,433
 09-12-2014, 05:25 AM
User Info
Congrats on the new razor!! Glad to hear that your DE shaving is coming along.Smile

3 218
 09-12-2014, 06:26 AM
User Info
The Feather AS-D2 (with a Feather blade) is my #1 choice. Quality razor, safe, smooth, nick-free shaves, terrific grip, etc. etc. You'll have many, many years of fantastic shaves with this heirloom razor. Congratulations on, what I consider, the best razor available.*

*IMHO Angel

39 3,881
 09-12-2014, 08:13 AM
User Info
Nicely written! I especially liked the part about hearing the razor's sounds as it cut.

8 899
 09-13-2014, 07:11 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
With all the razors I keep playing with my favorite that I keep pulling out is my AS-D2, the comfort and smoothness can't be beat. Feather and Feather blade make an awesome combination. I really love mine and glad your finding yours equally enjoyable.

35 1,329
 09-13-2014, 07:19 AM
User Info
For all interested, I believe the AS-D2 is on Massdrop again for under 150.

I of course paid more than that when I purchased mine, but it is consistently my favorite razor, and I enjoy coming back to it after brief affairs with other razors.

3 202
 09-13-2014, 01:49 PM
  • WriteNoob
User Info
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'd have answered sooner, but am kinda down with a cold, and haven't really been 'with it'. Went through the Feather blade, as of today's shave. I'm thinking that, for me, three days may be the ragged edge, for a Feather blade. I can get two nice, comfortable shaves, but that third one tends to leave me with some burn, and/or a few bleeders. Such was today's case. I put a Polsilver SI in, for tomorrow, to see what that blade is like. Then I'll try a Derby, since those are the only three I have, at present. I'm ordering some others, tonight. Still really liking the razor, but there isn't much more to add. The thing just works, and it works really well. I got delivery of the Prograso Green lineup, last night, and tried it out, for today's shave. It was nice how the AS-D2 just sort of got out of the way and let me concentrate on what was going on with the new product. With this razor, I get to relax and enjoy the shave. The brush, the soap, the technique of the whole thing, can now be foremost in my thoughts, not fixating on the mirror and making sure I keep that razor in the narrow band that it wants to shave me in, lest it exact it's little blood-price. I'm sure you guys who've been doing this for awhile can do this with almost anything out there, but remember, I'm not an old hand at this. The last month of DE shaving has been, for me, an exercise in determination. The Gillette Slim was pretty nice, after the thrashing I took from the 89L and (Yes, I should've gone with something else.) Feather blade. But the AS-D2 is easier still to use, and allows me to relax, a bit, while just enjoying the process.

Think I'll wrap it up, for now, as I'm still feeling like ten miles of bad road. Think I'll go over to the Soaps area, and bug them about my experience with Prograso Green. Then, maybe some updates to other stuff I've posted, where warranted. Good sick-day activity. Make the head feel like you're accomplishing something, while never actually leaving the Barkalounger. Blush

All the best, everyone.

0 58
 09-13-2014, 03:51 PM
User Info
Hope you feel better, the Green lineup will help clear your sinuses a bit.

3 202
 09-19-2014, 08:09 PM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
Congrats on your Feather Razor. It is a nice razor IMO.

2 479
 09-22-2014, 08:46 AM
User Info
You'll probably love the Polsilver SI. I certainly do. I find that it lasts a full two shaves longer than a Feather and the first shave is not quite as harsh.

Price is better, too. Great blade.

2 1,397
 10-17-2014, 03:37 AM
User Info
Can you fit the AS-D2 head on an iKon bulldog handle?

7 128
 10-17-2014, 04:48 AM
User Info
Yes you can.

0 89
 10-22-2014, 09:19 AM
  • kiruiz
  • Boellis Man
  • San Juan PR
User Info
Gents:

The razor is a real nice one. I do have one and I been using it and its real nice feeling . The quality is superior, the presentation pkg is awesome. I concur with all the reviews about this razor.
I hate others suppliers when they copy others work. So this is one of the originals.

Thanks
ken

20 201