05-23-2012, 02:05 AM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
I was wondering how tolerant / annoyed members' partners are with all the foci on shaving, creams, soaps, ADs, etc.

I am starting to get a slightly weary look now whenever I mention new stuff.

By way of example: I'm planning to get another Simpson's brush or two soon, and SWMBO asked how it would make me feel to have another badger brush (that I don't need, being the implication).

Share experiences, please.

1 290
 05-23-2012, 02:09 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
SWMBO hates my job and doesn't understand my "obsession", but she says she loves me so that's all that counts!

91 17,874
 05-23-2012, 02:26 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
My wife doesn't mind so long as I keep her in quilting supplies. It also helps that I don't spend out of pocket much for shaving stuff. I just use my paypal account. If I want something new, I sell something I have to get it.

116 3,804
 05-23-2012, 02:42 AM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
(05-23-2012, 02:09 AM)ben74 Wrote: ... but she says she loves me so that's all that counts!
Good to hear (my view too). I'm just keen to know about the levels of appreciation / understanding out there ... or not.

(05-23-2012, 02:26 AM)Dave Wrote: My wife doesn't mind so long as I keep her in quilting supplies. It also helps that I don't spend out of pocket much for shaving stuff. I just use my paypal account. If I want something new, I sell something I have to get it.
Sounds fair!

1 290
 05-23-2012, 02:54 AM
User Info
My bride thinks it's silly and cute and is puzzled by it all, but she's happy that I'm enthusiastic about something. Plus, she likes to nuzzle and never cared for my stubble. 20 years together in which I hated to shave and she had to be careful not to get permanently scarred by my whiskers. Now...

Time to move on folks, nothing to see here.

5 298
 05-23-2012, 03:33 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
My wife is very loving and understanding about my wet shaving. We both live a very tight budget, as long I do not go over broad she is fine with it.

1 3,507
 05-23-2012, 05:14 AM
User Info
She thinks I'm crazy, but she thought I was crazy when she married meBiggrin

0 433
 05-23-2012, 05:27 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
My wife was doing okay with it until two things happened. She realized my inventory of Floid Blue was starting to grow again and the grandson and I hung my brushes on the wall.

She asked why I needed so many brushes, after shaves, and soaps. My response to her was to show her pictures of Obie's, ben74's, and TexBilly's stuff, and then I said I need all this for the same reason you need 65 pair of Birkenstock Shoes.

My explanations did not help. But after 30-years of marriage, life goes on.

173 23,553
 05-23-2012, 05:34 AM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
(05-23-2012, 02:05 AM)Persius Wrote: ...I am starting to get a slightly weary look now whenever I mention new stuff...

I too have gotten the weary look from SWMBO. My example is I told my wife I wanted to create a "shave den" by mounting a small cabinet on the wall to store and display my shaving hardware.

Her response was: "That's the community bathroom."
Translation: "You are out of your mind." Smiley_1140

0 539
 05-23-2012, 06:01 AM
User Info
My wife can't say too much about it, she pushed me into it. I had been interested in getting a DE razor and traditional wet shaving for about a year, but hadn't pulled the trigger. Last Christmas she got me set up with a Merkur 38M, a Vulfix 660S brush, EJ Soap, Tabac, and a blade sampler. She even told me about B&B (though I had already heard of it) So I can always bring that up, if its an issue.

When I start feeling guilty about my stockpile of brushes, blades, razors and software, all I have to do is look over to her side of the bathroom and see all the makeup, creams, serums, hair products, brushes, eye stuff, etc, and all that guilt goes away. In fact it usually induces me to buy more.

0 836
 05-23-2012, 06:27 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
(05-23-2012, 02:26 AM)Dave Wrote: My wife doesn't mind so long as I keep her in quilting supplies. It also helps that I don't spend out of pocket much for shaving stuff. I just use my paypal account. If I want something new, I sell something I have to get it.

Exchange quilting for knitting and you have my girlfriends exact same mentality.

"Another razor?"
"But I'm selling these ones!"

35 1,732
 05-23-2012, 06:55 AM
User Info
My wife's somewhere between mild bemusement and lack of interest. It's my bathroom, and I don't think she even knows how much stuff I have. While she does sort of think we're a cult, she also likes how I smell. I think she's glad it's a hobby about good grooming and not something expensive, dangerous, or childish.

9 166
 05-23-2012, 07:54 AM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
(05-23-2012, 06:01 AM)5Savages Wrote: When I start feeling guilty about my stockpile of brushes, blades, razors and software, all I have to do is look over to her side of the bathroom and see all the makeup, creams, serums, hair products, brushes, eye stuff, etc, and all that guilt goes away. In fact it usually induces me to buy more.
Now, this is something that cross my mind, but I don't want to be mean spirited about her taking care of herself. I suppose I just expect a two-way street. Then again, she doesn't talk about her stuff to me as if I should be interested, so I get what I ask for ... Rolleyes

1 290
 05-23-2012, 08:05 AM
User Info
Well, after as many years as we've been married (don't ask, I'd need to ask my wife- but it's certainly more than 30) she commented on it at first, then just realized, yet again, that I really don't care, I'm doing it.

Then she realized it wasn't costing her anything, that it was harmless, and I actually shaved every day now, so from nothing but ???? to if not liking it to being acceptful and resigned to it at worst.

When she touches my face she says stuff like "unbelievable", so I think that's good.

32 6,311
 05-23-2012, 08:27 AM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
(05-23-2012, 08:05 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Well, after as many years as we've been married (don't ask, I'd need to ask my wife- but it's certainly more than 30) she commented on it at first, then just realized, yet again, that I really don't care, I'm doing it.

Then she realized it wasn't costing her anything, that it was harmless, and I actually shaved every day now, so from nothing but ???? to if not liking it to being acceptful and resigned to it at worst.

When she touches my face she says stuff like "unbelievable", so I think that's good.

I will be glad when I get to that point with SWMBO.

0 539
 05-23-2012, 08:42 AM
  • England
User Info
Believe me, been married a loooooong time and believe its double edged sword

0 110
 05-23-2012, 08:45 AM
User Info
My wife is glad that I have something to keep me occupied and happy in my retirement, and she actually enjoys hearing about my new acquisitions, especially the Somerset Simpson brushes. She also is critic in residence of my aftershaves, keeping an unofficial running tally of her ratings of them and letting me know their rank order. It's fun for both of us.

184 12,003
 05-23-2012, 08:49 AM
User Info
After twentysome years married she doesn't ask many questions, just kind of lets me be, and likes me well shaved.

I did have some difficulties explaining ... when she saw me for the first time combing my brushes Biggrin

0 68
 05-23-2012, 09:48 AM
User Info
i am not sure what to say as my partner does not comment much on my arsensal. As long as i am happy, she is happy. It is my money, and as long as have enough for the essentials, there is no issue. i look at it this way: i do not smoke, drink, or go out to bars and clubs, nor do i have other hobbies to spend money on, so......

75 20,883
 05-23-2012, 09:50 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
My wife is fantastic about it. She supports it 100% and never has a problem with me buying what I want. She enjoys seeing/smelling new things I've gotten and she actually thinks the way I've taken over our bathroom looks cool. I'm suprised when I hear about other peoples partners complaining about wet shaving as a hobby. I mean seriously this is one of the best hobbies a man could have. It's relatively cheap and it's something we have to do anyways. I mean how can a wife complain that her husbands hobby involves personal hygiene.

45 3,955