09-12-2014, 02:13 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I've been running Super Speeds a lot this past month. Both my Red Tip and TV Special are seeing frequent use but it was only the other day that I noticed something.

It seems that I do have to check blade alignment on these razors. I plopped in a Personna Red and saw that the tabs were not evenly exposed. Figured the blade might have been stamped to looser tolerances so I shoved an Astra SP in. Same deal. Nudging the tabs and checking blade reveal before tightening the knob squared things away.

I apologize if this is old hat to most, but even my modern Progress aligns blades more easily. This doesn't diminish the love I have for a Super Speeds at all. It's just something to be aware of,

In case anyone is having inconsistent shaves with a Gillette TTO, maybe checking blade alignment might help make things better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 286
 09-12-2014, 03:25 AM
User Info
Considering the age of those razors a little tweak here and there is probably normal. I in particular have always been fond of the Red Tip which is my favorite of all the Super Speeds.

122 13,215
 09-12-2014, 05:20 AM
User Info
Interesting. I have a super speed as well and the blade lines up better than my week old Progress. As Slantman said it could be the age of the razor.

3 218
 09-12-2014, 08:28 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
(09-12-2014, 05:20 AM)Rallypoint_1 Wrote: Interesting. I have a super speed as well and the blade lines up better than my week old Progress. As Slantman said it could be the age of the razor.
Most likely it is. The good news though is that I find the design easy to use. Much easier than some of the modern designs that many of us started with.

2 286
 09-12-2014, 08:55 AM
User Info
I but a blade in my Merkur 34C Hd the other day and noticed a large difference in blade exposure from one side to the next. Took it out and placed it in my Gillette new and it fit perfectly. I will always inspect each loaded blade before tightening down, adjust it as needed to align properly.

0 1,007