09-13-2014, 02:10 PM
User Info
I was in a rush this afternoon.
Needed to shave my 2 day stubbled face and head.

Reached for my brush, my Klar Sandalwood soap and my newly acquired Floris 89 shaving cream to make a nice superlather.
But time did not allow me to use a brush.

Instead reached for my shelf with the 5 cans of Proraso in every scent available. Decided to use the blue Proraso canned foam.
But then also saw my 300 ml pot of green preshave cream from Proraso.
Massaged an ample amount to my face and my head.
Then hot water all over.

The shave with my 5 times used Fusion blade in my Plisson Palladium razor was effortless. Surprisingly effortless. Removed a lot of stubbles. Had to rinse the cart often of course. Maybe 25 times total rinse. But the shave took 15 minutes total and the post shave feel was fantastic.

Not as great as when I use one of my soaps and creams with a brush. But still my face and head felt great.
I have previously not used that much of the Pre shave cream from proraso, thinking it would clog up the razor. But it didn't because I massaged water to my face and head after I used the preshave cream.

This just proves that proper prep may be the single most important detail in order to get a great shave.

24 6,018
 09-13-2014, 06:09 PM
User Info
Agreed. Sometimes in the morning I'll absentmindedly forget to wash my beard before shaving, and there is a noticeable difference - usually lots of aftershave burn and irritation on my neck.

0 1,098
 09-14-2014, 04:50 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
The Proraso Pre-Shave Cream is an excellent product. Also is great for an after shave balm.

179 23,931
 09-14-2014, 05:14 AM
User Info
I definitely get better results when I prep, I just don't always take the time. I use HTGAM pre - shave stick and it works really well.

2 51
 09-14-2014, 05:32 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I don't use pre shave products. But I do believe in good prep. Hot towels for me, and it is wonderful. But I think all the prep in the world won't save you from crappy technique, a crappy razor, or dull blades.

2 1,694
 09-21-2014, 01:35 AM
  • Amzimbo
  • Smooth as a fresh shaven diplomat
  • New Jersey and Mozambique
User Info
I like variety and therefore change my set up - brush, razor, soap or cream - every day. I also use different pre-shave products, just to keep it interesting. I find they all work equally well, but that it is an essential step every time. I think it's about the length of time the product its on your beard to soften it up. Although all different, every pre-shave keeps the beard moist for a longer time then would be the case otherwise.

5 85
 09-21-2014, 07:34 AM
User Info
I used to use pre-shave products regularly; Proraso, RR lime soap, GFT Skin food; and while all of these products are still utilized on occasion (mostly to use them up), I have to say that a good hot shower and a clean, softened beard is the best pre-shave for me.

39 3,950
 10-03-2014, 06:28 AM
User Info
formost is still a towel but I like the poraso preshave on my chine with that great smell. doesn't seem to load razor but I am working on shea butter now so we will see. want my neck feelin "groovy"

76 1,331
 10-03-2014, 07:35 AM
User Info
Slowly getting more patient and better with my preps as well. I'm going to looking into this pre shave cream.

1 1,975
 10-03-2014, 12:02 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I woke up an hour late this morning so cut the routine down to face lathering some AoS Sandalwood cream and two passes with my Schick Injector. I must say that initially I was very impressed with my results, but shortly thereafter I noticed a little irritation and the stubble is easily detectible after only a few hours. This will be my justification for taking that full glorious half-hour every morning before any other living being in my house is awake, as ME time.

148 2,821
 10-03-2014, 03:37 PM
User Info
(10-03-2014, 12:02 PM)blzrfn Wrote: This will be my justification for taking that full glorious half-hour every morning before any other living being in my house is awake, as ME time.

Excellently stated! Biggrin

83 21,110
 10-06-2014, 05:05 PM
User Info
tried to find some Jergens face cream as it was recommended to me; settled for Ponds face cream. I am now convinced that this stuff is golden. smells like 1950s but I handled all my neck fire and my last 10 shaves with it as a preshave have been my best ever. certainly attributed to the Ponds. this wet shaving is like a never ending adventure. highs, lows, disappointment, and then zen.

76 1,331
 10-07-2014, 01:38 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Odd man out on this one. When I started with straight razors a couple of years ago I tried various preps but they never did anything for my shaves. Now it is wet my face with cold water, lather up and shave. Same routine with DEs and SEs.

Bob

0 1,694
 04-03-2015, 02:25 AM
User Info
I have been using Noxcema cleansing cream, wet face and rub it in, then lather over the top.  Still not sure if this makes the lather/shave any slicker.  Anyone else use or have tried the Noxcema?

0 37
 04-04-2015, 08:48 AM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
The Noxzema doesn't smell bad, it just overpowers everything else.
(04-03-2015, 02:25 AM)PG1964 Wrote: I have been using Noxcema cleansing cream, wet face and rub it in, then lather over the top.  Still not sure if this makes the lather/shave any slicker.  Anyone else use or have tried the Noxcema?

Noxzema had been recommended by so many guys here, that I went ahead and bought a tub. Like you, I'm still trying to decide how much it helps. It certainly doesn't hurt, except..........a large part of the enjoyment I get from wet-shaving comes from the scents of my little collection of soaps. When you use the Noxzema, the whole bathroom smells like nothing but Noxzema for the whole shave. The Noxzema doesn't smell bad, it just overpowers everything else. I have almost a whole puck of a very good quality soap that I quit on after 3 tries. It produces a great shave, but while it is labeled Vetiver, it has almost no scent at all. I've put it back in my rotation specifically to use with the Noxzema. The jury is still out on how effective it is.

Back to the thread; The only pre-shave I usually use is a hot shower, with Nivea "Energy" face soap. The facial soap seems to make a difference, but this might all be in my head. As for the shower, for me it makes such a huge difference that I don't even remember the last time I tried to shave without it.

0 272
 04-06-2015, 08:30 PM
User Info

No prep ?

It's a Daune  double edge shavette

0 24