05-23-2012, 05:50 AM
  • England
User Info
It's my off today and as I received my V-bee yesterday I thought I would do a few test lathers .

Well first off. The brush does have the seemingly obligatory animal smell ,sort of a damp dog smell but not at all unpleasant. I thought I would use the brush, trying to disregard any preconceptions as what it would be good at.

So first up was the Palmolive stick ( grated into a bowl ) . After steeping the brush for five minuets I began lathering the Palmolive. From the very first stroke of the brush on the bottom of the bowl I was quietly confident that we had lift off. I have noticed when using a stainless steel wide bottomed bowl the first stoke laid down is almost akin to reading tea leaves. If a thick continuous flow of lather is laid and remains 'stable' then either the 'new soap or ditto brush will invariably be a decent performer. The brush produced a quantity of fine lather using mostly straight back and forward stokes in short period . The brush does hold a lot of lather but gives it up readily .......very good flow through.
Next up was MWF. If anything made less work of this than the Palmolive !

The back bone is just perfect. The knot feels like 'compound' hair,super soft tips firming up as they progress down providing a really firm mid section. Oh......... and did I mention the soft tips ?

The overall look and 'feel' of the knot, is quite perplexing. It looks rather like a high quality boar ..but it's obviously is something different , the tips are softer than any badger I have used and it has a good backbone......which does not seen quite right ! and it dries very quickly not a trait of boar.

All in all trying to compare with badger /bodger/boar/ is for me a little confusing, because it has small bits from each . This brush so far has brought a new angle into the equation.
It's early days, very early days but this brush has brought elements together of which i like
i.e.: back bone
really soft tips
a humane and sustainable supply

Historically I realise there were issue with horse hair brushes and I suppose we all are slaves to a greater or lesser degree of fashion and convention but on my evidence so far they can be Stella.
Last and not least the beehive handle has got to be up there with best . Beautiful and ergonomically near perfect. A really ,really nice handle

A couple of hairs were washed out on first lather only too be expected .

As I have mentioned it really is early days but my initial and inevitable first impressions are that this is an outstanding addition to my arsenal.
I am not an expert in brushes be it Badger or boar , just an average Joe with dislikes and likes and for what it's worth the above are just my observations.Wink

I will as from tomorrow use this brush for a period of time to fully comfirm my initial impressions.............I thank you Biggrin

Photo 1 Palmolive
2 MWF
3 5 mins. after cleaning brush

Attached Files Image(s)

0 110
 05-23-2012, 07:57 AM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
Good review and great pics. Now I need to decide if I want the 13061M or the Beehive LE. Decisions, decisions... Hmm

0 539
 05-23-2012, 10:48 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thanks for the review,my friend.
So,for what Im reading here and in my spanish forum,these mixed brushes have super soft tips but keeping a nice backbone,not extra firm but either floppy or a mop,and excellent flow.
Man,on my book sounds like a perfect combination!
Yes,definitely,one of these days I need to order one for sure...

86 7,123
 05-26-2012, 05:07 PM
User Info
(05-23-2012, 07:57 AM)wlmcad Wrote: Good review and great pics. Now I need to decide if I want the 13061M or the Beehive LE. Decisions, decisions... Hmm

The correct answer is, of course, both. The 13061 series handle is beautiful and ergonomic, but the beehive/keyhole shape of the LE is solid and feels great in the hand as well.

Both brushes use the 50/50 mane-to-tail hair ratio, which breaks in nicely and lathers soaps and creams like a champ.

8 240
 05-26-2012, 05:17 PM
User Info
Excellent review!

1 2,827