09-14-2014, 01:54 PM
User Info
I started wet shaving this Aug w/ an iKon DLC Standard closed bar, and after two weeks I started getting razor burn on my neck. So I quit shaving everyday. Then on Labor Day weekend Phil ran a special on ATT and so I came here seeking advice on the M1. After reading the replies decided to purchase the M1 and am happy to report that it is a perfect fit for everyday use for me. It sings when I make my passes. And I get a BBS shave w/ less neck irritation. Also, I learned to take extra lather after final pass and apply it to my neck and let it sit for a minute then apply a cold towel over the lather for another minute and that has really help to prevent the razor burn. Definitely glad I purchased the ATT M1. Nothing against the iKon it does a great job when I have three days growth but when I shave everyday the M1 is my razor of choice.Biggrin

0 190
 09-14-2014, 03:13 PM
User Info
Congratulations on finding your every-day shaver. I'm a very big fan of the ATT M1 also.

I want to try the R1, but I can't justify spending for it, given that I have an iKon SB, which is also a great razor.

I never used the iKon slant; I really didn't "get" the Merkur slant, the only time I tried, so haven't really sought out others. I am curious as whether I'd like others, I guess, after all this time... too many different kinds of razors out there for my particular collection of whiskers. But the M1 is definitely on my short-list of keepers. Glad you found your way to it!

7 315
 09-16-2014, 12:11 AM
User Info
(09-14-2014, 01:54 PM)cevanover Wrote: I started wet shaving this Aug w/ an iKon DLC Standard closed bar, and after two weeks I started getting razor burn on my neck. So I quit shaving everyday. Then on Labor Day weekend Phil ran a special on ATT and so I came here seeking advice on the M1. After reading the replies decided to purchase the M1 and am happy to report that it is a perfect fit for everyday use for me. It sings when I make my passes. And I get a BBS shave w/ less neck irritation. Also, I learned to take extra lather after final pass and apply it to my neck and let it sit for a minute then apply a cold towel over the lather for another minute and that has really help to prevent the razor burn. Definitely glad I purchased the ATT M1. Nothing against the iKon it does a great job when I have three days growth but when I shave everyday the M1 is my razor of choice.Biggrin

You get a better shave from the M1 than the Ikon SB? What blade are you using on the M1? That can be a tricky razor. Before I got the R1, I put scotch tape over the divots and it basically turned it into an R1.

0 45
 09-16-2014, 08:17 AM
User Info
The M1 is my daily driver. Pairing it with a Voskhod is particularly good.

4 78
 10-03-2014, 12:38 AM
User Info
(09-14-2014, 01:54 PM)cevanover Wrote: I started wet shaving this Aug w/ an iKon DLC Standard closed bar, and after two weeks I started getting razor burn on my neck. So I quit shaving everyday. Then on Labor Day weekend Phil ran a special on ATT and so I came here seeking advice on the M1. After reading the replies decided to purchase the M1 and am happy to report that it is a perfect fit for everyday use for me. It sings when I make my passes. And I get a BBS shave w/ less neck irritation. Also, I learned to take extra lather after final pass and apply it to my neck and let it sit for a minute then apply a cold towel over the lather for another minute and that has really help to prevent the razor burn. Definitely glad I purchased the ATT M1. Nothing against the iKon it does a great job when I have three days growth but when I shave everyday the M1 is my razor of choice.Biggrin

You didn't the like the Ikon Standard Bar? I'm asking because I wanted to get it. I already have the Ikon OC Deluxe so it would only be $45. I lost the ATT R1 plate, but $45 sounds better than $73. I don't see how much different it could be than the OC though. The blade exposure is the same because the cap is the same. Some people say the SB is way more aggressive than the OC, but yet when I see people use the OSS, they shave with the OC side first, and then the SB like it's milder. I heard that's not the case though.

0 45
 10-03-2014, 03:11 AM
User Info
(10-03-2014, 12:38 AM)JBMAN1974 Wrote: You didn't the like the Ikon Standard Bar? I'm asking because I wanted to get it. I already have the Ikon OC Deluxe so it would only be $45. I lost the ATT R1 plate, but $45 sounds better than $73. I don't see how much different it could be than the OC though. The blade exposure is the same because the cap is the same. Some people say the SB is way more aggressive than the OC, but yet when I see people use the OSS, they shave with the OC side first, and then the SB like it's milder. I heard that's not the case though.
The iKon SB is considerably more aggressive than the OC. The top cap does not determine blade exposure. (In fact, the top cap is the same for all the ATT razors, too; the base plate is what changes. Similarly, with adjustable razors like the Gillette Slim or Fatboy, or the Merkur Progress, etc., the top cap is the same, too, clearly. But the baseplate moves). Blade exposure is not just how much blade sticks out from the top cap. It's the amount of blade that extends past the tangent line from the edge of the safety bar (or comb) to the edge of the top cap. So it's a product of how much blade extends past the top cap and how big a blade gap between the blade and the SB.

I've seen graphics of this that would make it clearer, but don't have one handy. In any case, the take away lesson, for immediate purposes, is that indeed switching to the iKon SB baseplate will give you a noticeably more aggressive razor than your iKon with its current OC baseplate.

7 315