17.19% of votes
I've used a Slant & it's not for me.
6.25% of votes
I've not used a slant.
28.13% of votes
* You voted for this item.
 05-24-2012, 09:14 AM
User Info
(05-24-2012, 06:49 AM)turtle Wrote: Maybe I will have Bob machine a custom knob for the 39c when he returns. That would be the ultimate slant in my mind.

That's what I did. I had Bob convert my 37c to a custom slant and I couldn't be happier.

11 1,236
 05-24-2012, 09:39 AM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
I've never used a slant. perhaps one day I'll have to give one a try.

So many things to try and so few shaves.

3 546
 05-24-2012, 09:46 AM
  • jfmii
  • Pittsburgh PA
User Info
I would like to try a Slant Razor.
Is Mekur the only manufacture of Slant Razors?

21 425
 05-24-2012, 03:26 PM
User Info
I tried the 37C on Michael's recommendation and loved it from the very start. I wouldn't use it exclusively, as that would mean only shaving every other day. I had a rough shave with an OCMM several weeks ago, and my treatment regimen was to take a couple days off, and spend a week with the slant. It is that comfortable. If I had bought it as my second razor, I may never have gone down the RAD path...

3 195
 05-24-2012, 03:36 PM
User Info
(05-24-2012, 09:46 AM)jfmii Wrote: Is Mekur the only manufacture of Slant Razors?

Currently Merkur is the only Slant manufacturer, but I harbor hopes that one of the small razor makers (iKon, Tradere, Weber) will come out with a Slant, and I have sent email requests for one. I think it would be great!

0 101
 05-25-2012, 09:02 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I have a Merkur 37G and think it offers up a fantastic shave. It's a keeper for me. Smile

2 5,000
 05-25-2012, 09:48 PM
User Info
I tried one for two weeks and there was no difference that was memorable over the normal HD. I shave everyday so I am just shaving stubble. It may be more effective on multi day growth.

3 850
 05-25-2012, 10:06 PM
User Info
I own a ej89 , merkur 34c and 1904 . 6 Se razors and the 37c has recently been added and now rules the pack

0 61
 05-26-2012, 05:34 PM
User Info
I'll get around to one eventually.

4 309
 05-26-2012, 10:39 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
(05-25-2012, 09:48 PM)SteelTown Wrote: I tried one for two weeks and there was no difference that was memorable over the normal HD. I shave everyday so I am just shaving stubble. It may be more effective on multi day growth.

This is true in my experience. I typically reach for my slant when I have more than one days growth. It seems to cut through much easier than say my 34C or my EJ 89 which seem to tug a little when shaving multi day growth.

45 3,955
 05-27-2012, 04:26 PM
User Info
(05-24-2012, 03:36 PM)Leisureguy Wrote:
(05-24-2012, 09:46 AM)jfmii Wrote: Is Mekur the only manufacture of Slant Razors?

Currently Merkur is the only Slant manufacturer, but I harbor hopes that one of the small razor makers (iKon, Tradere, Weber) will come out with a Slant, and I have sent email requests for one. I think it would be great!

I'd pick Weber, simply because they seem to be the only manufacturer capable of producing a SS razor for well under $100.

10 451
 05-27-2012, 09:56 PM
User Info
I love my Merkur 39C - it eats stubble for breakfast.

That said, I also love my Merkur 985CL open comb travel razor, my Parker 22R TTO and my Feather Popular TTO... they are all wonderful shavers with their own personality. The slant is the most aggressive though, and my go-to-razor for taking of the weekend stubble.

3 6,561
 08-16-2012, 07:47 AM
User Info
I hated the slant, but in recent days, i've come to love it. A fine razor.

0 4
 08-16-2012, 08:02 AM
User Info
@Voltimax: I'm curious about the change in your opinion. Any insights? Was it just a matter of learning the new razor? Trying a different blade?

0 101
 08-16-2012, 09:11 AM
  • mandoman
  • Southern California
User Info
love my HD slant

0 34
 08-16-2012, 09:38 AM
User Info
I did a trade with a guy who took my 34c and I got the Merkur slant in exchange. It gave more enjoyable shaves than the 34c, but not in the same league of effectiveness as my French DE's. Then I got that vintage German slant posted about in another thread and it simply blew me away. By my third day, I was getting as good a shave from it as from anything else I own. The 37c is going to a new home and the vintage slant is now a starter in my lineup.

Was not expecting this from the slant and actually expected to dislike it. No arguing with results.

5 298
 08-17-2012, 06:37 AM
User Info
Leisureguy: Dogged determination, lol

My technique was off. Thinking that I wasn't using any pressure, when clearly I was, I was so used to having to apply slight pressure in certain tough spots with my 34C. Also my angle wasn't right. The main thing though was fear believe it or not. I could get a good shave from it, but I used to get more bad ones than good and so this gave me an unhealthy fear of the razor. I'd feel so negative before a shave that I'd always fulfill my own prophesy.

You know something, I've had such a bad time with this razor, but I just couldn't bring myself to part with it (I don't like being beaten). Here's my advice to anyone struggling with it; Use it every single day, no matter how bad it feels, eventually it will feel right. The trouble is I'd have a good shave after having a good 2-3 day growth, but then the very next day, I'd get a bad shave. Then I'd put it away for the rest of the week and bring it out the next or a couple of weeks time. What was needed was regular continued use, even if for only one pass shaves. Believe me, If I can get a good shave out of this razor, just about anyone can. I've battled with it for over 2 months, no that's not true, I've battled with myself, not the razor Wink

0 4
 08-17-2012, 06:47 AM
User Info
I appreciate your response. I think quite often one has to "learn" a new razor, and that certainly applies to the Slant. Some can hit the ground running, as it were, but most have to do some experimentation to find the sweet spot of technique. You describe it well.

0 101
 08-17-2012, 07:57 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
For some odd reason, I've been under the impression that the shave from different slant razors would be very similar to one another.
I have no clue what led me to believe that considering every DE and SE I own offers somewhat of a difference in shave quality, even with the same blade used and some of them having drastic differences as you all know.

I think that A)this has kept me away from trying to acquire different slant razors and B)saved me a lot of money from not trying to acquire different Slant razors.

So, Mark; I thank you for this post and....I'm gonna hunt you down for extending the range of my raging RAD.

Seriously though; head geometry and weight, handle length and weight, material usage, etc. and it all makes sense. One torquer does equal another.

(08-16-2012, 09:38 AM)oakeshott Wrote: I did a trade with a guy who took my 34c and I got the Merkur slant in exchange. It gave more enjoyable shaves than the 34c, but not in the same league of effectiveness as my French DE's. Then I got that vintage German slant posted about in another thread and it simply blew me away. By my third day, I was getting as good a shave from it as from anything else I own. The 37c is going to a new home and the vintage slant is now a starter in my lineup.

Was not expecting this from the slant and actually expected to dislike it. No arguing with results.

6 905
 08-17-2012, 09:01 AM
User Info
(08-17-2012, 07:57 AM)EHV Wrote: For some odd reason, I've been under the impression that the shave from different slant razors would be very similar to one another.
I have no clue what led me to believe that considering every DE and SE I own offers somewhat of a difference in shave quality, even with the same blade used and some of them having drastic differences as you all know.

I think that A)this has kept me away from trying to acquire different slant razors and B)saved me a lot of money from not trying to acquire different Slant razors.

So, Mark; I thank you for this post and....I'm gonna hunt you down for extending the range of my raging RAD.

Seriously though; head geometry and weight, handle length and weight, material usage, etc. and it all makes sense. One torquer does equal another.

Observational point. The 37c slants one way and the Cabiri Slant I wrote about slants in the opposite way. That's obviously one major difference. I think it might also be a more extreme angle, but am not sure.

5 298