09-16-2014, 12:15 AM
User Info
I know this sounds ridiculous but a a friend of mine had his entire ATT set plated in rhodium. It looks stunning. Is this worth doing or is just over indulgence? He got it done a local jeweler but they did a fantastic job. I might doing with my Ikon just to see how it looks but I'm telling you, if you guys see this, you would be signing up for it.

0 45
 09-16-2014, 03:28 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Making a razor that you already like more exciting sounds fine to me. If you get the chance post a photo.

59 4,496
 09-16-2014, 05:40 AM
User Info
I can see doing it a matte stainless razor but not a highly polished one.

121 13,122
 09-16-2014, 07:02 AM
User Info
It seems excessive. If you want to "try it out" grab some cheap old Gillette NEW or other brass DE off of eBay or a BST and replate that. I'm pretty frugal (well as much as someone can be in this hobby) and I see two problems with doing this beside the cost: (A) I don't know own an ATT but from everything I've heard they are flawless and already beautiful. (B) You probably ruin any resale value they would have. Why would someone pay for the high cost of the razor itself and the cost of replating?

84 1,505
 09-16-2014, 08:06 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Honestly, if you really like it that much and the plating will stick to the stainless w/o any complications then that's pretty cool.... I was thinking of doing that to a few razors as well but not the ATT to be honest.

it didn't happen if we don't have pictures!!! Biggrin

35 1,329
 09-16-2014, 12:37 PM
User Info
I say go for it! I'm currently contemplating a rose gold AS-D2.

3 202
 09-16-2014, 08:42 PM
User Info
That sounds like a great idea if you really enjoy the razor.
I know that an all-black coating would really look good on it! Biggrin

83 21,077
 09-17-2014, 04:11 AM
User Info
(09-16-2014, 08:42 PM)celestino Wrote: That sounds like a great idea if you really enjoy the razor.
I know that an all-black coating would really look good on it! Biggrin

Yes, that's exactly what I thinking. Black rhodium. For those who think it sounds excessive. Listen, this entire shaving movement is excessive. Think about it. 15 years ago, who would have thought in ten years, I'm going to have 5 razors, 6 brushes and using a different shaving cream each day of the week.

(09-16-2014, 07:02 AM)jpakstis Wrote: It seems excessive. If you want to "try it out" grab some cheap old Gillette NEW or other brass DE off of eBay or a BST and replate that. I'm pretty frugal (well as much as someone can be in this hobby) and I see two problems with doing this beside the cost: (A) I don't know own an ATT but from everything I've heard they are flawless and already beautiful. (B) You probably ruin any resale value they would have. Why would someone pay for the high cost of the razor itself and the cost of replating?

Re-plating a razor isn't excessive. There are people who build separate rooms in their houses specifically designed for shaving. Complete with candles and incense. Like they're going to church. It's all relative. Plus I saw one that was done and it was gorgeous.

[Image: 17Slfov.jpg]

(09-16-2014, 07:02 AM)jpakstis Wrote: It seems excessive. If you want to "try it out" grab some cheap old Gillette NEW or other brass DE off of eBay or a BST and replate that. I'm pretty frugal (well as much as someone can be in this hobby) and I see two problems with doing this beside the cost: (A) I don't know own an ATT but from everything I've heard they are flawless and already beautiful. (B) You probably ruin any resale value they would have. Why would someone pay for the high cost of the razor itself and the cost of replating?

Everyone is different. I'm not frugal. Life to short.

0 45
 09-17-2014, 01:27 PM
User Info
(09-17-2014, 04:11 AM)JBMAN1974 Wrote: Listen, this entire shaving movement is excessive...Re-plating a razor isn't excessive...Everyone is different. I'm not frugal. Life to short.

You asked whether replating an ATT razor ($185) with rhodium (usually costs between $40-$60) was overindulgent. In my opinion it is. Did you want an echo chamber?

- Josh -

84 1,505
 09-17-2014, 05:30 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Everyone's opinion on this will obviously vary, I have to say that you obviously have to really want it to even consider it, personally it's pretty amazing and it's definitely a 'wow' factor to see but the idea never crossed my mind.
I must admit, it's no different than seeing those amazing gold/rose gold plated cobra classics.

35 1,329
 09-19-2014, 06:42 PM
User Info
I personally wouldn't bother, but if it makes you happy and you have the resources to do it, have at it.

Heck, my coworkers think I'm goofy for the way I shave, so who am I to judge?

0 1,071
 10-03-2014, 12:16 AM
User Info
(09-17-2014, 01:27 PM)jpakstis Wrote:
(09-17-2014, 04:11 AM)JBMAN1974 Wrote: Listen, this entire shaving movement is excessive...Re-plating a razor isn't excessive...Everyone is different. I'm not frugal. Life to short.

You asked whether replating an ATT razor ($185) with rhodium (usually costs between $40-$60) was overindulgent. In my opinion it is. Did you want an echo chamber?

- Josh -

Not sure what I said to make you think I need echo chamber? I didn't say anything that was exaggerated. All I said was everything is relative. There are people who have built "shave dens" where they shave, but being overindulgent for plating a razor? Do you criticize members who have ten brushes and 50 soaps and more razors they will be able to use. I have 2 brushes and three razors. If you think I'm excessive, you're obviously not paying attention to other members in this forum.

(09-19-2014, 06:42 PM)Shannons Soaps Wrote: I personally wouldn't bother, but if it makes you happy and you have the resources to do it, have at it.

Heck, my coworkers think I'm goofy for the way I shave, so who am I to judge?

Exactly. This is the last place I expected to be judged for suggesting to do something that many others have done before. Maybe not many, but I'm sure people have plated their razors with gold. Especially considering this is respectable forum and not kids posting nonsense on a Youtube video.

Thank you to members who refrained from criticizing me. I did it black rhodium but I'll keep the pics to myself for the reasons I stated above. Anyone considering black rhodium, do it. I only did it with the Atlas Handle, and two of the plates. I didn't want to changed everything. Considering it, you won't regret it.

(09-17-2014, 01:27 PM)jpakstis Wrote:

- Josh -

Actually I apologize, I did ask if it seemed overindulgent and I got an answer. Didn't need the echo chamber comment though. Anyway no biggie.

0 45
 10-03-2014, 05:55 AM
User Info
I would love to see pictures on how it looks.

121 13,122
 10-03-2014, 06:01 PM
User Info
(10-03-2014, 05:55 AM)slantman Wrote: I would love to see pictures on how it looks.
Me too!

Also, was that estimate of the cost of a rhodium plating accurate? I've seen it more expensive. If someone does rhodium plating for $40-60, please let me know who! I'm more on the nickel-plating budget.

7 315
 10-03-2014, 06:47 PM
User Info
I too want to see pictures of the new plating. Don't let anyone else's opinions keep us all from seeing this beauty.

69 2,186
 10-03-2014, 08:18 PM
User Info
(10-03-2014, 05:55 AM)slantman Wrote: I would love to see pictures on how it looks.

+3

For your information, I had my Weber PH head and UFO U2V1 Stainless Steel handle both coated in a DLC coating. I like the classy look of black, so I must be a tad excessive, also. Nonetheless, it has accentuated my SOTD pics, very well. Biggrin

83 21,077
 10-04-2014, 05:50 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
I for one would love to see that, honestly just reading that for the first time 'Black Rhodium' I didn't know that was even an option. I'll need to start asking who even offers that!

The ideology of the board is to share ideas/experiences and learn from each other... if your able to do something others haven't even thought of that's better for us as a whole as it expands where wet shaving can go or the how much more incredibly satisfying your den ends up to be!!

35 1,329
 10-04-2014, 08:41 PM
User Info
(10-04-2014, 05:50 PM)refles Wrote: The ideology of the board is to share ideas/experiences and learn from each other... if your able to do something others haven't even thought of that's better for us as a whole as it expands where wet shaving can go or the how much more incredibly satisfying your den ends up to be!!

+1

83 21,077