09-16-2014, 05:09 PM
  • joedy
  • Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
User Info
Years ago (before TSN was around, I believe), there was some discussion about corking new blades before use. I still keep a wine bottle cork in my drawer, but only find that I have to cork some blade brands.

I think that the consensus was that corking (a single swipe on both edges) helped to strop the edges and I have found that with some blades that it does produce a tangible difference.

Is anyone else corking their DE blades these days?

-joedy

12 87
 09-16-2014, 06:04 PM
User Info
Please search this forum plus the Internet. Lots of posts on corking plus "hand stropping". Neither makes much sense to me. With the quality and engineering in today's blades, I do not see the need for either. For example, why would anyone want to "cork" or "hand strop" a Feather blade?

VR
Ed

21 751
 09-16-2014, 08:12 PM
User Info
I cork kitchen knives, to de-burr when sharpening...

Never corked a razor blade.

7 315
 10-04-2014, 02:25 PM
User Info
Corking DE blades is often mentioned as a way to get an extra shave or two from a blade. I've tried it and I have to say that the results are inconclusive. I have discovered another use for the technique though, and it involves the blades I don't like much. I can get a much more pleasant shave from say, a Merkur or Dorco blade if I cork them first. If I end up with more than one package of a blade on the B list, I will PIF it to a fellow shaver. The opened box will likely wind up collecting dust for awhile, until I want a shave and I'm left with nothing in the razor blade cupboard but these runners-up. That's when corking can make a real difference. I find that the polystyrene "packing peanuts" work as well or better than actual cork.
Euro

5 395