09-17-2014, 09:08 AM
User Info
What is your definition of the perfect soap or cream? Is it mainly performance or mainly scent? Would you be more tolerant of a high performing lather if the scent was not to your liking? Or, would you be forgiving of a less or bad performing lather because the scent was your favorite? For me it is the scent, maybe because it is the first impression to my senses. I just can't seem to get past a bad smelling soap/cream, even though the lather maybe superior.

0 1,007
 09-17-2014, 09:45 AM
User Info
Agreed, sold too many really good soaps that I didn't like the scent. Also have some soaps that are only good performers, but smell fantastic!

53 1,199
 09-17-2014, 09:55 AM
User Info
I don't want anything that smells bad on me or near me. But performance means the world to a gentleman who loves quality. I would rather have no scent than a horrible one.

1 1,975
 09-17-2014, 10:51 AM
User Info
Scent is extremely important and a bit more so than performance, but thankfully, we have so many great soaps to choose from that I am not put into this dilemma! Biggrin

83 21,077
 09-17-2014, 12:10 PM
User Info
For me its the performance that counts, as long as I can stand the scent. Also in my reviews I don't give any extra points for scent, so if a € 10 shaving soap performs very good, then I would still rate it to have a bad value for money because there are € 1 a € 3 shaving soaps out there that perform very good as well.

And I don't count extra points for shaving soaps that explode into lather, because its not about the amount but rather about the quality of the lather.

0 55
 09-17-2014, 12:11 PM
User Info
(09-17-2014, 09:08 AM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote: What is your definition of the perfect soap or cream? Is it mainly performance or mainly scent?

For me it's mainly performance.

Quote:Would you be more tolerant of a high performing lather if the scent was not to your liking? Or, would you be forgiving of a less or bad performing lather because the scent was your favorite?

No to both. The only way I would keep a high performing lather w/ a bad scent is if there were nothing as good. And I find that extremely unlikely.

Really great scents with bad performance might live on as a soap for my face, or as a lather soap during pre-shave. But my face isn't hardy enough to use a badly performing soap just for the smell.

Now, I have kept great soaps that were just "pretty good" to smell. The same with great smelling soaps that aren't at my very top tier.

10 1,858
 09-17-2014, 12:15 PM
User Info
Arko is a soap I love and think its a great performer. It's scent is just meh...but certianly not enough of a stinker to make me not use it. The Stirling soaps are also great performers and I get pretty much the same quality of lather no matter which type of scent. That being said, I had to chunck the Port Au Prince scent.

0 1,007
 09-17-2014, 01:23 PM
  • joedy
  • Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
User Info
The definition of the perfect soap? Well, that would be Tabac, of course!

And Mike's and QCS and QED-USA and ....

The perfect soap and cream for me has great performance with the mandatory look-forwards-to-shaving fragrance. There are just too many great options these days to compromise on either the performance or the scent.

-joedy

12 87
 09-17-2014, 02:36 PM
User Info
(09-17-2014, 01:23 PM)joedy Wrote: The definition of the perfect soap? Well, that would be Tabac, of course!

And Mike's and QCS and QED-USA and ....

The perfect soap and cream for me has great performance with the mandatory look-forwards-to-shaving fragrance. There are just too many great options these days to compromise on either the performance or the scent.

-joedy

+1 Now is such a great time to be wet-shaving and we are very fortunate, indeed! Biggrin

83 21,077
 09-17-2014, 05:08 PM
User Info
I'm a soap guinea pig, so I've developed the ability to deal with almost any scent. I guess performance would be tops for me then. That said, it certainly is more pleasurable to use a product that has a scent I enjoy.

The sort of scents I just can't deal with are the ones that I seem to have some sort of allergic reaction to. Vanilla fragrance oils kill me, for example. Hard to get a good shave when you're sniffing and sneezing. Smile

+1 on the thought that we're fortunate to be able to have the best of both worlds.

0 1,071
 09-17-2014, 05:38 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
scent is a big factor but let's face it, the main purpose of the soap/cream is to give us a good shave. You can address the scent issue with your after shave or cologne. Performance is key.

7 2,328
 09-17-2014, 05:43 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I cant stand a scent that my nose is adverse to no matter the performance...some just make my stomach churn Confused

On the other hand I'm fine with basically scentless or unscented creams/croaps/soaps if the performance is really enjoyable...I especially like unscented products like LPL unscented for use at night before sleep.

With so many great creams/soaps/croaps that have top shelf performance and long lists of scents to try out, why go without both? Angel

4 794
 09-17-2014, 05:48 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
For me, I need both...however, performance will override scent. The reality is, I can still bring myself to use a scent that is just ok as long as the performance is exceptional. But, I am much less likely to reach for a soap that performs bad, despite having an excellent scent.

Fortunately we live in wonderful times where it is easy to find a vast selection of soaps that excel at both Cool

34 1,628
 09-17-2014, 06:09 PM
User Info
Scent is a low hurdle for me -- if it smells bad, it's out, but if it's "not bad" then, for me, performance is the bigger thing. I'll find a soap that performs and then try to find a scent I like most within that line.

7 315
 09-17-2014, 07:45 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Anyone know about Ballistol? It was formulated circa 1900 for der Kaiser's army and still in use today. The stuff is a wood and leather dressing, machine oil, firearm bore cleaner, antiseptic used in first aid kits and can be used to clean food preparation surfaces.
It's also possibly the nastiest smelling stuff on the marketDodgy
But use it awhile and you almost like it.Confused
Dittmars was like Ballistol. This wasn't the Victorian, rose petal, Downton Abbey soap I started out with.Heart
Now, late at night when my cat or nature wakes me up I sometimes take a sniff to assure me all is well.Biggrin

2 3,171
 09-17-2014, 08:55 PM
User Info
I use Mitchell's Wool fat which I only think smells just ok - but it performs great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 2
 09-17-2014, 11:29 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Life's short. Why use anything less than awesome?
I would never intentionally use a product that performs bad but has a good smell. And I haven't used Arko because of the scent issue, even though I am highly confident the shave would be wonderful.

This is why I almost exclusively use luxury products. Perfect performance, and excellent scents. Then again, I do shop around all price points, but FOR SURE luxury products are where it's at.

59 2,824
 09-18-2014, 01:15 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(09-17-2014, 01:23 PM)joedy Wrote: The perfect soap and cream for me has great performance with the mandatory look-forwards-to-shaving fragrance. There are just too many great options these days to compromise on either the performance or the scent.

-joedy

That is it exactly.

Bob

0 1,694
 09-18-2014, 01:20 AM
User Info
(09-17-2014, 05:48 PM)Giorgio Wrote: For me, I need both...however, performance will override scent. The reality is, I can still bring myself to use a scent that is just ok as long as the performance is exceptional. But, I am much less likely to reach for a soap that performs bad, despite having an excellent scent.

Fortunately we live in wonderful times where it is easy to find a vast selection of soaps that excel at both Cool
+1

1 495
 09-18-2014, 07:00 PM
User Info
(09-17-2014, 09:08 AM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote: Is it mainly performance or mainly scent?

Hello!
First of all - purpose (as the existence - unscented);
secondly, fragrance, not excluding reduce the negative effects of shaving skin (hydration, nutrition, preservative - healing,...).Rolleyes

0 7