09-17-2014, 09:18 AM
User Info
Do you think football is dying? Or, do you think it will survive all the recent changes and bad conduct of a few players to become even better?

0 1,007
 09-17-2014, 09:43 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Football is the biggest sport in the US. Way ahead of baseball and anything else. College football especially is a huge money maker, I think their needs to be some things cleaned up but I don't think it will ever die.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

15 970
 09-17-2014, 09:54 AM
User Info
Won't die, but change is needed. And not even in just sports, but with entertainment media as a whole. There is really no morals displayed or promoted and the term "professionalism" is absent from even behind the scenes.

1 1,975
 09-17-2014, 10:11 AM
User Info
(09-17-2014, 09:54 AM)C-NoEviL Wrote: Won't die, but change is needed. And not even in just sports, but with entertainment media as a whole. There is really no morals displayed or promoted and the term "professionalism" is absent from even behind the scenes.

So true!!

3 218
 09-17-2014, 12:30 PM
User Info
For me it died years ago. It's just not in my heart anymore. College football still is to some extent. Sure I still watch my favorite team, but it's just not the same anymore. I realize things change, but not always for the better. I saw the biggest change in football with the advent of ESPN. Can't stand to watch their commentary, poor reporting and personal politics. IMHO they are part of the problem. And don't get me started on the Washington Redskins. I'm part native american and I'm not offended at all. Go Redskins...and I'm not even a Redskins fan.

+1 on the "no morals displayed or promoted"

0 1,007
 09-17-2014, 01:02 PM
User Info
(09-17-2014, 12:30 PM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote: For me it died years ago. It's just not in my heart anymore. College football still is to some extent. Sure I still watch my favorite team, but it's just not the same anymore. I realize things change, but not always for the better. I saw the biggest change in football with the advent of ESPN. Can't stand to watch their commentary, poor reporting and personal politics. IMHO they are part of the problem. And don't get me started on the Washington Redskins. I'm part native american and I'm not offended at all. Go Redskins...and I'm not even a Redskins fan.

+1 on the "no morals displayed or promoted"

This is all very true. All of these "opinions" to me is the cause of so many issues in sports and entertainment. Even the news. All over the place, we are constantly having a lack of intelligence when promoting people in professions of involving their own personal take on everything. I honestly can't stand social media and such, because it makes everyone have to feel important; not to mention, it takes away from really having true responsibilities.

All there are, are opinions and trying to please everyone all the time because of no integrity and never standing our own ground. We always have to make sure no one is mad or offended by anything, instead of challenging the things that truly matter.

1 1,975
 09-17-2014, 04:02 PM
User Info
The over-engineering of the game and constant stoppage of play had taken much of the enjoyment away for me even before the bad stuff about brain injuries and domestic violence started cropping up.

8 899
 09-17-2014, 05:16 PM
User Info
On the one hand, the NFL protects its players by sweeping domestic violence issues under the table. OTOH, they show no such care by failing to deal with the concussion issue. If I wasn't already off the game, I'd be driven away from it now.

I haven't followed football closely at any level since watching the two finest teams ever to take the field -- the 1971 Nebraska Cornhuskers and 1972 USC Trojans. That was the pinnacle of The Game to me, and nothing I've seen since has topped it.

29 1,776
 09-17-2014, 05:28 PM
User Info
I wonder if the bad conduct has increased, or if we just perceive that it has increased because there are so many media outlets with space and time to fill.

I live near Cleveland, and I can't tell you how old the Johnny Manziel watch was getting. I hope he never gets a speeding ticket - We'll never hear the end of it.

0 1,055
 09-17-2014, 06:58 PM
User Info
I am kind of disappointed I have to refrain from comment once again. I cannot find the correct words to say how I feel about professional sports and the players of the games these days without possible offense..

I used to be such a sports person...player and fan

31 1,800
 09-18-2014, 10:54 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Football is huge because of the fact they've made changes over the decades to attract the casual fan. To the detriment defense. (Casual fans in every sport want more offense while students of the game appreciate a good defensive struggle now and then) Old time serious fans of the way the game used to be played lament the drop in the quality of the product since the 1970's. That's not a comment on the increased athletic ability of todays players, but of the decline of the level of team play and shoddiness in certain areas. And big money is the demise of every sport in the eyes of the purist. For instance,because of huge guaranteed salaries and the owners fear of risking that money, fewer full tackle drills are held today then say, 40 years ago. You only get good at what you practice over and over again. Therefore tackling is a lost art in the NFL. Combine that with guys trying for the big highlite hit and you have more missed tackles in todays NFL then you did in Class 4a High School football 40 years ago.

7 2,281
 10-17-2014, 11:13 AM
User Info
nfl football is the only sport I watch. the personal lives of the players, owners et al either digusts me or bores me. I enjoy athletes competing in a sport I grew up with. Willy Mays and Mickey Mantle, and Johnny Unitas are gone. I love the remote control on the direct tv and just blast through people like Bob Costas proselytizing about politics etc. my grandfather played at ohio state in leather helmets for the love of the game.

73 1,263
 10-17-2014, 02:21 PM
User Info
Oops! I thought this thread was about the other 'football'. Biggrin

82 21,056
 10-17-2014, 05:49 PM
User Info
(10-17-2014, 02:21 PM)celestino Wrote: Oops! I thought this thread was about the other 'football'. Biggrin

What - Canadian football? Smile

0 1,055
 10-17-2014, 08:27 PM
User Info
(10-17-2014, 05:49 PM)Shannons Soaps Wrote:
(10-17-2014, 02:21 PM)celestino Wrote: Oops! I thought this thread was about the other 'football'. Biggrin

What - Canadian football? Smile

Hahahahaha! Very nice, Brian!
I, myself, don't even understand the rules, at times. However, I never watch it. Biggrin

82 21,056
 10-23-2014, 12:13 PM
User Info
nope!

they're even talking about introducing the NFL to London by like 2022, I think I read.

40 5,830
 10-26-2014, 08:40 PM
User Info
Sports professionals are idolized way too much. I do enjoy watching various sports, but I wouldn't give a rat's ass to talk to any of them or get their autographs. I do think they deserve all the money they get though. Is what they do worth what they make, just based on their contribution to society? No even close, but they are the attraction, not the owners. I can't begrudge anyone making as much as they can. The fans pay the price and as long as they are willing to pay, good for them. Me...the only professional sport I'll buy a ticket or is baseball because you can still get a seat for a reasonable amount. I hate seeing NFL games in person. Too many damn stoppages in play. When I watch a game, I record it and skip from play to play. Just after the play is over I hit the 30 second skip and the next play is usually about to start. I can watch a complete game in about an hour and I don't have to listen to the annoying color commentators.

My biggest peeve in the NFL...the "2-minute warning". Do we really need a "warning" that there's two minutes left? These are professionals, are they not? Let's call it what it really is, a 2-minute break for yet more commercials.

0 836
 10-27-2014, 12:46 PM
User Info
(10-26-2014, 08:40 PM)5Savages Wrote: When I watch a game, I record it and skip from play to play. Just after the play is over I hit the 30 second skip and the next play is usually about to start. I can watch a complete game in about an hour and I don't have to listen to the annoying color commentators.

My biggest peeve in the NFL...the "2-minute warning". Do we really need a "warning" that there's two minutes left? These are professionals, are they not? Let's call it what it really is, a 2-minute break for yet more commercials.

I do the same thing. Why sit around and watch 1-1/2 hours of commercials, half time BS and flag rulings? I love the DVR.

0 1,007
 10-27-2014, 02:00 PM
User Info
In the US football rules and that is just the way it is.

119 13,021
 10-28-2014, 06:38 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(10-23-2014, 12:13 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: nope!

they're even talking about introducing the NFL to London by like 2022, I think I read.

I hope this is wishful thinking. It's a ridiculous spectacle (won't dignify it by calling it a game or sport) that deserves to die...full of sound and fury signifying nothing.

5 887