09-18-2014, 11:28 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
My neighbour calls me a runner... I say Im a fat guy out moving to fast for a walk and to slow for a run. Biggrin
I have been running more lately and I have noticed that when I get a run in before a shower/shave that I get the best results. I don't know if it has to do with the elevated body temp, or the fact that I am relaxed and happy or if it has something to do with the sweat softening my stubble. It may be all three, I don't know. I do know that It seems to be a great prep tool.
Has anyone else experienced this?

29 1,627
 09-18-2014, 11:42 PM
User Info
I've experienced the opposite and it was terrible! After I've shaved in the late afternoon I went to the local stadium for a 6 miles run. I've got a nasty irritation on my neck after, from dust and sweat.
So...do not shave before you go jogging/running! Biggrin

0 111
 09-18-2014, 11:52 PM
User Info
(09-18-2014, 11:42 PM)sergiuniculescu Wrote: I've experienced the opposite and it was terrible! After I've shaved in the late afternoon I went to the local stadium for a 6 miles run. I've got a nasty irritation on my neck after, from dust and sweat.
So...do not shave before you go jogging/running! Biggrin

+1Biggrin

1 495
 09-19-2014, 12:47 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
If you run when you first wake up and thereby delay shaving, then yes it should assist.

When you first wake up in the morning, your skin tends to be puffy and swollen.
It is recommend to wait until at least 20 minutes after you have woken before you shave.
This allows time for the puffiness to subside.
The advantage is that when your skin has reached its normal tautness, the hairs will be closer to the surface and easier to shave.

There are those that also suggest that the sweat associated with exercise help lubricate, but that would require shaving while sweaty and I don't shave without showering first...

99 18,011
 09-19-2014, 04:26 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(09-19-2014, 12:47 AM)ben74 Wrote: There are those that also suggest that the sweat associated with exercise help lubricate, but that would require shaving while sweaty and I don't shave without showering first...

I would tend to discount this. Sweat is mostly water, but it also contains lactate, urea, and salt and other minerals. I don't think it lubricates as much as, at least to me, feels filthy. IMO what I have done when sweating is coat my whiskers in filth. Don't think I'd want to leave that on my face or whiskers prior to shaving, but hey, that's just me.

2 1,697
 09-19-2014, 05:26 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(09-19-2014, 04:26 AM)SRNewb Wrote:
(09-19-2014, 12:47 AM)ben74 Wrote: There are those that also suggest that the sweat associated with exercise help lubricate, but that would require shaving while sweaty and I don't shave without showering first...

I would tend to discount this. Sweat is mostly water, but it also contains lactate, urea, and salt and other minerals. I don't think it lubricates as much as, at least to me, feels filthy. IMO what I have done when sweating is coat my whiskers in filth. Don't think I'd want to leave that on my face or whiskers prior to shaving, but hey, that's just me.

As I said Mike, I personally wouldn't shave without showering. I would suggest that clean skin promotes a healthier shave. However, if you where to undertake an internet based search you would discover others (not me) swear by shaving post exercise and sans shower...

99 18,011
 09-19-2014, 05:38 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I was a runner for 30 years before I became disabled. I always preferred to run late afternoon, early evening. Research has shown that's when your body is at it's peak physically. But I have made the mistake of getting up early to shower and shave before a road race and it's not pleasant. When you start sweating the stinging can be pretty bad. But I never noticed any difference in my shave when I did run first in the morning and shave immediately afterward.

7 2,361
 09-19-2014, 06:49 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(09-19-2014, 05:26 AM)ben74 Wrote: As I said Mike, I personally wouldn't shave without showering. I would suggest that clean skin promotes a healthier shave. However, if you where to undertake an internet based search you would discover others (not me) swear by shaving post exercise and sans shower...

Yes, I was agreeing with your post.

2 1,697
 09-19-2014, 06:58 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Interesting. I have found that salt water residue (from paddle boarding) has an adverse effect on my lather. I normally shave before showering but on days that I paddle board, I have to shower first.

46 18,642
 09-19-2014, 08:10 PM
User Info
I shaved last Saturday morn and did some yard work. It was hot and I started sweating and immediately felt some sting on my neck. Shaving and sweating is a no-no for me.

3 218
 09-19-2014, 08:32 PM
User Info
Jim, are you saying that you shave right after you finish your run or do you shower, firstly, then shave?

83 21,115
 09-19-2014, 09:56 PM
  • jamesrobson5
User Info
Hi guys, sorry I have been traveling home today and not had much chance to get back to this thread.

(09-18-2014, 11:28 PM)jamesrobson5 Wrote: I have been running more lately and I have noticed that when I get a run in before a shower/shave that I get the best results.
I should have said Shower then shave. (it made sense in my headUndecided)
For clarification I run then shower then shave. In fact over 90% of my shaves happen after a shower. The others are after a face wash and hot wet towel held to my face for a few minutes.

(09-19-2014, 12:47 AM)ben74 Wrote: If you run when you first wake up and thereby delay shaving, then yes it should assist.

When you first wake up in the morning, your skin tends to be puffy and swollen.
It is recommend to wait until at least 20 minutes after you have woken before you shave.
This allows time for the puffiness to subside.
The advantage is that when your skin has reached its normal tautness, the hairs will be closer to the surface and easier to shave.

That is exactly what I was trying to get at. Thank you Ben.

29 1,627
 09-19-2014, 11:03 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Could very well be, I get the nicest shaves after being in the sauna, I take a cold shower and then shave.

28 1,449
 09-19-2014, 11:07 PM
  • jamesrobson5
User Info
(09-19-2014, 11:03 PM)Snuff Wrote: Could very well be, I get the nicest shaves after being in the sauna, I take a cold shower and then shave.

That does sound nice!Biggrin

29 1,627
 09-20-2014, 12:46 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(09-19-2014, 06:58 PM)bullgoose Wrote: Interesting. I have found that salt water residue (from paddle boarding) has an adverse effect on my lather. I normally shave before showering but on days that I paddle board, I have to shower first.
One of my best friends does that also and I always thought he was a one of a kind. Looks like not. Why would you shave before showering? The shower preps your beard so well. It's like a no brainer.

7 2,361