05-23-2012, 06:27 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
Even though I have only just recently returned to DE shaving, over the last year each time I would go to WalMart I would check to see what kind of shaving supplies they carry. The best I could find was cakes of shaving soap and some double edged blades. Today I looked and lo and behold they had half a dozen van der Hagen shaving sets (mug, soap, boar brush), van der Hagen soap refills, and several kinds of double edged blades. Could this be a sign that DE shaving is about to really take off again? The only thing they didn't have was the safety razor.

0 396
 05-23-2012, 07:28 PM
User Info
Ugh, that VDH boar brush was horrible for me. It kept me closed off to boars for a long time. Thanks to many people talking about their quality boars from Semogue & Omega and some great help from Johnny I gave a Semogue boar another chance. I'm very glad I did. That VDH boar gave boars a bad name for way too long in my mind. The soap is decent & I still use the ceramic bowl that came I that set.

31 7,914
 05-23-2012, 07:37 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
The products are generally poor but the fact that these retailers' research leads them to carrying the products at all is encouraging.

35 2,703
 05-23-2012, 07:45 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-23-2012, 07:37 PM)TexBilly Wrote: The products are generally poor but the fact that these retailers' research leads them to carrying the products at all is encouraging.

That was my point exactly. It's been years since I've seen anything like this in stores. In Hazard, KY they can now be found at 2 retailers. It's not much, but it's a start.

0 396
 05-23-2012, 08:05 PM
User Info
(05-23-2012, 07:45 PM)uncledave Wrote:
(05-23-2012, 07:37 PM)TexBilly Wrote: The products are generally poor but the fact that these retailers' research leads them to carrying the products at all is encouraging.

That was my point exactly. It's been years since I've seen anything like this in stores. In Hazard, KY they can now be found at 2 retailers. It's not much, but it's a start.

There are actually a number of stores that stock shaving supplies, no their not great, but the must be selling it to keep restocking it. I doubt it's a sign that we'll see more or better products, but we can always hope.

If it wasn't for VDH I'd still be stretching Mach 3 blades far beyond their limit, so I'm glad they provide more or less a gateway into something better. I loved that soap, I thought it was cool the way it lathered up. I never seen or used a shaving soap before, so it was impressive.

9 451
 05-23-2012, 08:06 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-23-2012, 08:05 PM)Johnny9 Wrote:
(05-23-2012, 07:45 PM)uncledave Wrote:

There are actually a number of stores that stock shaving supplies, no their not great, but the must be selling it to keep restocking it. I doubt it's a sign that we'll see more or better products, but we can always hope.

If it wasn't for VDH I'd still be stretching Mach 3 blades far beyond their limit, so I'm glad they provide more or less a gateway into something better. I loved that soap, I thought it was cool the way it lathered up. I never seen or used a shaving soap before, so it was impressive.

That's how I feel about van der Hagen also. It's better than the stuff I DE shaved with 40+ years ago.

0 396
 05-23-2012, 09:08 PM
User Info

+1

75 20,883
 05-24-2012, 04:41 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
And, I see the stuff moving off of the shelves!

Sadly, the stuff like Vitalis and Brylcreem gathers dust. More for me though. Biggrin

Maybe we'll have some more company soon....

6 905
 05-24-2012, 05:41 AM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
It is encouraging to know that we are having a big enough effect for Wallyworld and others to notice. Biggrin

0 539
 05-24-2012, 06:07 AM
  • turtle
  • Lost in the lather
User Info
VDH deluxe is a nice glycerine based soap and on par with any other glycerine based products from other manufacturers.

Sure it is not fancy smancy English branded products but for under $5 a puck at the local Walmart it is better than using ivory should you run out of shave soap while on the road.

Another national retailer in your area to check out is Bed Bath and Beyond. Most have a decent wet shaving selection. All of them will carry RS cream (Real Shaving Company). This little known or talked about British company makes some of the more expensive creams that are branded under the BIG names. Grab a tube of this if you see it. You will be GLAD you did as you will get a fantastic shave cream for $20 less than what you would get the same product under a different name for.

[Image: RS1.jpg]

6 132
 05-24-2012, 09:03 AM
User Info
A number of the chain stores seem to display shaving products intermittently, I suppose because they have scattered small pockets of stuff from large initial inventories and want to get rid of it. Our local Marshall's puts out shaving soaps, talcs and aftershaves unpredictably, so I check whenever I'm in their neighborhood.

184 12,003
 05-24-2012, 09:21 AM
  • turtle
  • Lost in the lather
User Info
(05-24-2012, 09:03 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Our local Marshall's puts out shaving soaps, talcs and aftershaves unpredictably, so I check whenever I'm in their neighborhood.

We have a Marshall's here. I should stop in next time I am out and see what they have....

6 132
 05-24-2012, 09:29 AM
User Info
(05-24-2012, 09:21 AM)turtle Wrote:
(05-24-2012, 09:03 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Our local Marshall's puts out shaving soaps, talcs and aftershaves unpredictably, so I check whenever I'm in their neighborhood.

We have a Marshall's here. I should stop in next time I am out and see what they have....

Ours always has a very limited selection, and usually just one or two of each item, but the prices are fantastic, usually less than half the usual retail cost.

184 12,003
 05-24-2012, 09:47 AM
User Info
I bought the regular VDH kit from Walmart and the more expensive VDH kit at my local Target. This more expensive kit has a better brush, better soap and an apothecary mug. A very good kit for the money except for leading me into exploring other brushes, soaps, aftershaves, scuttles, razors and whatnot.

0 64
 05-24-2012, 09:57 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(05-24-2012, 09:03 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: A number of the chain stores seem to display shaving products intermittently, I suppose because they have scattered small pockets of stuff from large initial inventories and want to get rid of it. Our local Marshall's puts out shaving soaps, talcs and aftershaves unpredictably, so I check whenever I'm in their neighborhood.

John, that's exactly what I do. One of my favorite talcs is Floris Cefiro. I knew nothing about it but I do like the Floris No. 89 and Elite EdT's, which are quite expensive, so I took a chance on the talc. I paid $4.99 for the talc at Marshall's. When I got home, I looked for it on line and the price almost everywhere was $30.00! A47

I also check out T.J. Maxx and Ross Dress for Less. T.J. Maxx, which is part of the same company as Marshall's, will also sometimes have good deals on shaving supplies but Ross almost never does.

2 11,211
 05-24-2012, 12:44 PM
User Info
VDH, is actually a very underrated soap IMO. The brush, not so much, but it's useable, and the bowl... well, it's a bowl. The soap I have quite a bit of. It operates way above it's pay grade. I have an Eastern European friend who requests it and thinks highly of it and he has access to some pretty decent creams that I think highly of.

Our local Rite-Aid carries RS Company products. If only it wasn't cream...

Bath and Body Works has Bigelow cream which isn't a bad mentholated cream. It's one of the very few creams I use, but I was hungry for anything when I first began. It's still pretty decent and doesn't get enough respect or use in my cabinet.

I've heard rumors on the forums that "Sally" shops may have some shaving products/gear also. But I can't comfirm. Every time I pass one it's always in passing when heading off to other places and I'm too busy.

32 6,309
 05-24-2012, 04:45 PM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
I've never thought about Marshall's, T J Maxx, or Ross Dress for Less as possible options for shaving supplies. Lightbulb

0 539
 05-24-2012, 05:50 PM
User Info
The only shaving products, I have seen at Marshall's are eshave shaving kits with a travel brush, shave cream, after shave balm and also a Fine badger shave brush with a lot of loft. Only problem, it shed so badly, the hair got in the way of me shaving the whiskers.

At the Sally shops, I have only found Personna SE blades that fit hair shapers like the Weck you can shave with.

21 1,477
 05-24-2012, 06:00 PM
  • texquill
  • Olver Warbucks
  • Richardson - DFW area of Texas
User Info
I agree with the basic observation - yes, it is a good sign that more and more often I see "real" wetshaving supplies on the shelf - double edge blades, brushes, and shaving soap.

Unfortunately, as other posters have pointed out, most all of what I'm seeing is at the lower end of the "desirable" scale.

The good news is, we have online vendors like Bullgoose who give us great access to the items we want, instead of the lower-end selection found in most stores.

30 237