05-23-2012, 06:49 PM
User Info
I have owned several brushes in my fairly short journey of wet shaving. Too many really. These were nice brushes too...Simpson, M&F, Semogue, Muhle, Thater, etc.

About 8 months ago I purchased my Thater 3 - band, and it remains in my den...a record. In fact, other than the new Muhle black fibre I just received a few days ago, it is my only brush. I have had about 8 other brushes since getting the Thater, and all have been sold.

My problem is, I can't find a brush that I like better and if it doesn't beat the Thater for me then it doesn't get used and then it gets sold. I custom ordered one of the new hair M&F that everyone was raving about and used it three times...hated it. It was super dense and scrubby and I prefer the cloud like brushes. Tried a LE Semogue boar...same thing. Shavemac silvertip...now that was close, but it was also sold.

I think the reality is I just don't need, or perhaps want, variety for brushes. This is a little strange for me because I can't use the same soap or cream more than 2 days in a row and I struggle to use the same razor more than a blade at a time. I don't see this as a problem other than that I would prefer the have at least two brushes so they dry completely after each use. I may just buy another Thater and use the Muhle for travel.

5 78
 05-23-2012, 06:56 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Tally,

I'm actually a tiny bit envious. To find ONE satisfying brush. Hmmmm.
I've a couple handfuls and STILL think the Holy Grail might be the next one.

Enjoy.

47 1,378
 05-23-2012, 07:05 PM
User Info
(05-23-2012, 06:56 PM)MaxP Wrote: Tally,

Enjoy.

Yes, the search for the hold grail brush is what keeps pushing me. I keep thinking "I know there is an even better one out there...the perfect brush". The search is getting a little tiring and deflating...but still fun!

5 78
 05-23-2012, 07:14 PM
User Info
Wow, Tallyshave, i am impressed! i completely agree with you in only really needing one brush and, but i do not think there is a holy grail of anything! Good luck with your search, my friend, but i think you have finished even though you may not realize it and there is no need to search.

75 20,883
 05-23-2012, 07:18 PM
User Info
I like variety with my brushes. Some days I like a scrubby badger, another day may want to see the deep massage of a well broken boar, while another day may want super soft and use the synthetic.

If the Thater is THE brush for you then I'd say get 1-2 more of them & just rotate through them to allow them drying time and a rest. Enjoy & congrats!

31 7,914
 05-23-2012, 08:39 PM
User Info
(05-23-2012, 07:18 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I like variety with my brushes. Some days I like a scrubby badger, another day may want to see the deep massage of a well broken boar, while another day may want super soft and use the synthetic.

If the Thater is THE brush for you then I'd say get 1-2 more of them & just rotate through them to allow them drying time and a rest. Enjoy & congrats!

Which Thater is the lucky winner? Which size is it? Do you primarily face or bowl lather? Can you post a pic ?

0 140
 05-23-2012, 08:41 PM
User Info
Tally, all your 3 band Thater needs is a 2 band bulb Thater to take over on its day off and your honestly set.

Unless you're a collector, 2 or 3 brushes,is the most you'll ever truly need. Ive been going through the same journey and have had a blast experiencing all the top brushes available but I'm down to 6 now and slowly but surely will only end up with 2 or 3 in the end.

The less distractions and choices in life, the better..but what do I know Wink

64 796
 05-23-2012, 08:51 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Good for you Tally. I couldn't do it. Blush

35 2,703
 05-24-2012, 02:10 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Congratulations on finding your shaving brush nirvana!

91 17,875
 05-24-2012, 04:50 AM
User Info
(05-23-2012, 06:56 PM)MaxP Wrote: Tally,

Enjoy.

I'm looking for [i]that[/ii] brush as well. We all have the criteria in our heads and what's scrubby or soft to one is not to others. That's why we keep trying. The perfect brush eludes me, but I've found my perfect everything else, so I shouldn't complain.

I did find the perfect handle ( Vie-Long Zurito ), but not the perfect knot. Right now I'm falling in love with the SOC boar brush. I wish I could buy knots from Semogue, because I would put one in the Zurito handle.

9 451
 05-24-2012, 05:11 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Congrats on finding the ONE brush, enjoy.

Personally for myself I enjoy using a variety of brushes, my preference is Semogue boar brushes. Boars are my favorites.

1 3,507
 05-24-2012, 05:33 AM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
I agree with most of the comments, congratulations on finding that one perfect brush. I'm not there yet I still have a list of brushes I need to try before I can possibly settle on just one.
Sherlock

0 539
 05-24-2012, 07:34 AM
User Info
(05-23-2012, 08:41 PM)Bravado13 Wrote: Tally, all your 3 band Thater needs is a 2 band bulb Thater to take over on its day off and your honestly set.

It's funny you say that as I did have a Thater 2 band in bulb that I ended up selling. However, that is the one sale that I look back on with regret. Perhaps I will pick another one to keep the two band company!

My current 3 Band Thater is the 26mm bulb with the plexi handle.

5 78
 05-25-2012, 11:10 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
I bought 20 brushes in less than 3 years. I still have 8 of them, but there's only 3 seeing regular use this year as I've narrowed down my favorites. I'm perfectly happy rotating 3 but I could never deal with using just one.

0 204
 05-30-2012, 09:55 AM
  • Amzimbo
  • Smooth as a fresh shaven diplomat
  • New Jersey and Mozambique
User Info
Glad you found "the one." Me? I love the variety. More about the looks than the feel, although I appreciate those differences too. Guess I'm a collector by nature. To each their own.

5 83
 05-30-2012, 11:36 AM
User Info
(05-25-2012, 11:10 AM)njpaddy Wrote: I bought 20 brushes in less than 3 years. I still have 8 of them, but there's only 3 seeing regular use this year as I've narrowed down my favorites. I'm perfectly happy rotating 3 but I could never deal with using just one.

Brian, I'd be interested to hear which 20 you had and the 8 that made the cut. Then we could all guess which 3 are the ones you use the most!

31 7,914
 05-30-2012, 01:35 PM
User Info
Tally,

Definitely a good brush for you!

Variety is the spice of life, though - do you have a 2010 LE Silvertip Semogue for instance :-)

I am interested to hear your experience with the fibers!

0 641
 05-30-2012, 02:21 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(05-23-2012, 08:41 PM)Bravado13 Wrote: Unless you're a collector, 2 or 3 brushes,is the most you'll ever truly need.

Oh my! This is quite close to heresy, you know.

47 1,378