05-23-2012, 08:01 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
I'm almost at week two in my return to DE. I'm getting very close to BBS now but there are a couple of spots on my neck that are really strange. On the "touch up" pass (pass 4 I guess) I feel stubble in places on my neck ONLY when I rub against the grain. So I take my razor and I do little quick strokes against the grain. I have prepped my skin very well and these multiple strokes don't cause any razor burn or irritation. I can hear the razor going "scritch scritch scritch" as it goes over the beard but there is still the same amount of stubble no matter how many passes. Is this a blade that just isn't sharp enough? It seems to me that if my razor angle were wrong I wouldn't hear the sound of the razor blade against the beard but I don't know enough yet to know if this is the case.

Any ideas out there??? I've used 3 types of blades so far and I have the same problem with each 1) Dorco 2) generic blades at a pharmacy 3) Wilkinson Sword Blades today.

0 396
 05-23-2012, 08:03 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Dave, check your hair growth/direction. I have the same issues on my neck and it requires a bit of special TLC in a very small area on each side of my neck. It's usually the last touch up I perform and the hair just grows backwards from the adjoining area.

Best of luck.

35 2,703
 05-23-2012, 08:05 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-23-2012, 08:03 PM)TexBilly Wrote: Dave, check your hair growth/direction. I have the same issues on my neck and it requires a bit of special TLC in a very small area on each side of my neck. It's usually the last touch up I perform.

Best of luck.

Thanks Bill, I've checked that. Just to be sure I have done passes in multiple directions on the same spot. No difference. It's like I hear the blade cutting but no hair is actually cut. Strange.

0 396
 05-23-2012, 08:10 PM
User Info
If your stubble is really coarse you may. E hearing the blade flex more than cut. Have you tried more rigid blades such as SEs or a slanted DE?

31 7,914
 05-23-2012, 08:13 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-23-2012, 08:10 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: If your stubble is really coarse you may. E hearing the blade flex more than cut. Have you tried more rigid blades such as SEs or a slanted DE?

Haven't tried those yet. I think I'll try Feathers since they are supposed to be the sharpest blades. This is a problem I've always had from when I first started shaving up till now. I never thought my beard was all that coarse but maybe it is. It may have gotten even worse since it turned white too.

0 396
 05-23-2012, 08:14 PM
User Info
Well, if it was angle I doubt you'd be getting a decent shave.

By pure chance the blades you're using may be the best blades you'll ever find for that razor and your face, but I doubt it. There are huge differences, at least for me in the different blades.

I always suggest new folks get a pretty decent size blade sampler. I could be that the Dorcos aren't doing it for you, and it could be that the drugstore blades are Dorcos as well. See where they're made. If it says Korea in the fine print they're Dorcos. Wilkinson blades I tried and they weren't terrible for me, but no where near being a top blade. Again, maybe by pure chance you hit on your best blades, but I doubt it.

32 6,309
 05-23-2012, 08:19 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-23-2012, 08:14 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Well, if it was angle I doubt you'd be getting a decent shave.

By pure chance the blades you're using may be the best blades you'll ever find for that razor and your face, but I doubt it. There are huge differences, at least for me in the different blades.

I always suggest new folks get a pretty decent size blade sampler. I could be that the Dorcos aren't doing it for you, and it could be that the drugstore blades are Dorcos as well. See where they're made. If it says Korea in the fine print they're Dorcos. Wilkinson blades I tried and they weren't terrible for me, but no where near being a top blade. Again, maybe by pure chance you hit on your best blades, but I doubt it.

Thanks Brian. Good to know about the Dorco blades. The Wilkinson I tried today was much smoother than the previous two but still didn't get the stubble.

0 396
 05-23-2012, 08:45 PM
User Info
(05-23-2012, 08:10 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: If your stubble is really coarse you may. E hearing the blade flex more than cut. Have you tried more rigid blades such as SEs or a slanted DE?

I have two GEM SE razors my friend lent me that I have yet to try. what blades do you recommend in those?

40 5,830
 05-23-2012, 10:02 PM
User Info
Do you need to stretch the skin in those areas? Depending on where the patches are on the neck, you may need to expose the stubble more. Sounds like your blade is just nipping the stubble and not cutting it.

9 1,199
 05-23-2012, 10:12 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-23-2012, 10:02 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: Do you need to stretch the skin in those areas? Depending on where the patches are on the neck, you may need to expose the stubble more. Sounds like your blade is just nipping the stubble and not cutting it.

I tried that today but I'm sure I need more practice at it. My face is so slippery after I preshave and lather it's hard to stretch much. Wink

0 396
 05-24-2012, 03:05 AM
User Info
(05-23-2012, 10:12 PM)uncledave Wrote:
(05-23-2012, 10:02 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: Do you need to stretch the skin in those areas? Depending on where the patches are on the neck, you may need to expose the stubble more. Sounds like your blade is just nipping the stubble and not cutting it.

I tried that today but I'm sure I need more practice at it. My face is so slippery after I preshave and lather it's hard to stretch much. Wink

Try rubbing some alum on your fingertips. Bye bye slippery & hello grip.

31 7,914
 05-24-2012, 04:17 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I would have suggested face mapping too. It took a while for me to figure out the omni directional growth on my neck, until I did, there was always a little stubble left behind. Stretching the skin, a sharp blade, an efficient razor and attention to angle should all assist too.

91 17,854
 05-24-2012, 04:22 AM
User Info
(05-23-2012, 08:45 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I have two GEM SE razors my friend lent me that I have yet to try. what blades do you recommend in those?

You can buy Gem blades at CVS or Walgreens. They're good blades.

9 451
 05-24-2012, 04:37 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I have a similar issue and I can get rid of it with the better blades or blade buffing but it's always at the expense of irritation and/or bumps.

I've just learned to live without BBS on two small portions of my neck. 2 hours later, the growth seems just about equal all over anyway.

6 905
 05-24-2012, 04:38 AM
  • turtle
  • Lost in the lather
User Info
I have an area down the center of my neck where the hair grows every which way (literately).

I find to get that area BBS I need to use a C motion (hook stroke). I need to use this hooking motion in several directions. I do this on by final clean up (after my 4th full pass). I find that if I stretch that area it also helps but the hooking stoke is still needed to get everything

Some call this a J-hook motion but for me a C motion seems a better description as I don't need a long finish just the quick C.

Just make sure you use a rapid motion otherwise you may slice yourself as you are sliding the blade sideways a little when you do this.

6 132