09-19-2014, 03:21 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
Hello everyone, I know I was never very active on the forums to begin with, but I've been absent longer than usual, And that's because of this.

A few months back, I started noticing some blood on my stool, and chalked it up to being hemorrhoids, a long with everyone else that I told. So after a few days the blood goes away and I don't think much of it anymore. A few months later, I get killer diarrhea with some blood and think to myself, 'Alright, well.. i'll give it a few days to see if it clears up' well, the diarrhea cleared but the bleeding continued. So I headed over to the walk in clinic, and the first thing he says to me, was 'dude you need a colonoscopy' So i scheduled a colonoscopy to be done. it was to be preformed in about a month.. during this month I dropped 20 pounds, developed terrible terrible abdominal pain was throwing up and becoming damn near anorexic. So a month goes by, and I'm at the out patient colonoscopy place fearing the worst, coloncancer. Which I never thought about, cause i'm only 32! anyway, I get sedated with propofol. I dont remember ANY of the colonoscopy, I just remember waking up and looking at the anesthesiologist and asking "well is it is cancer?" and her shaking her head no. whew, sigh of relief. And then they tell me it's Ulcerative Colitis, and it will be a life long disease, but manageable with medication.

Right now they have me on
Lialda 4 pills once a day(also really expensive with no insurance 1100 a month)
and also a steroid
Prednisone 20mg a day

I just wanted to say that, the operation is painless and no one should have any fear of a colonoscopy, specially if you're having symptoms of cancer!

Sorry for the wall of text and gross stool talk!

Joshua

5 123
 09-19-2014, 05:04 PM
User Info
Joshua, I wish you the best of luck in this challenging period in your life! I hope you can remain optimistic along the way and keep enjoying your shaves. Heart

83 21,115
 09-19-2014, 05:48 PM
User Info
Yes Sir ! Getting checked can add years to your life ! With an emphasis on prostate and colon health.

Regular screening appropriate for your age is a small price to pay for early detection which almost always leads to more options in treatment if anything is detected.

6 1,224
 09-19-2014, 06:35 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Propofol is great stuff. I can see why Michael Jackson was hooked on it. You're out in a flash, and awaken clear headed and ready to go. No one should fear a colonoscopy if propofol is used (it's OK to fear the prep, though).
I hope that your symptoms respond well to treatment. I wish you the best.

38 5,201
 09-19-2014, 07:19 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
One of my sons had the same experience and after a year of treatment he is A.O.K....swears by probiotics and watches his diet but seems totally fine....(this was about 14 years ago)...sometimes these things happen as a result of stress...so learn to relax..try yoga or just realize we often are what we eat and try to take some time to enjoy the beauty of Nature...some things are really not worth getting up tight about....best advice learn the mantra of "no big deal"!!!!!

6 2,048
 09-19-2014, 08:22 PM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
Everyone should get checked, I had my first one at 35 (now 55) and the Doctor changed my diet to keep me cancer free. IMO it is pain less.

2 479
 09-19-2014, 10:18 PM
User Info
Amen to this. I do believe, NOW, in knowing information rather than not knowing. You can stop things from happening if you know.

1 1,975
 09-20-2014, 01:43 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
Thanks for the words, the worst part for me was that, I also happen to be agoraphobic, so getting to the place 45 minutes away was probably the worst step of the process.

5 123
 09-20-2014, 05:25 AM
User Info
I was checked 2 years ago. They found a benign polyp, removed it, and I was good to go. See them again in 3 years.

0 20
 09-20-2014, 06:24 AM
User Info
The best of luck and a speedy recovery.

122 13,223
 09-20-2014, 10:24 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Joshua, all the best to you for a speedy recovery. Thank you for taking the time to post to help other members. Thumbup

2 11,211