09-19-2014, 08:58 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I was approached by Richard (geezer) about this and after discussion with the other moderators, we thought we would give this a try.

The sole purpose of this thread is for members who are willing to tutor members in their area of expertise (i.e., honing, stropping, knot making, etc.).

If you are interested, list your name and geographical location. All inquiries will be handled through either PM, phone calls, or personal one on one visits only. This choice is left up to the tutor.

This thread IS NOT for open discussion, the rest of the forum is for that purpose.

So, if you are interested in helping someone on an individual basis, state so here and let the PM's begin.

178 23,808
 09-19-2014, 02:28 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
Hi Johnny,
Looks correct. The Contact by PM and then phone is a good one.I would stress that the helper should get to know the responder at least by phone and / or a coffee shop before allowing them into the house or, going to their house. I have had no problems but I am not in a big city. Randy has had no problems and he lives in a bad part of a big city.

I am available for honing, straight shaving, and razor renewal, and generally for coffee!

Thanks!
~Richard
PS. Contact by PM if looking for help!Post only if available to help!

8 1,194
 09-19-2014, 03:23 PM
User Info
This sounds great! Does it including handle making and brushes?

1 1,975
 09-19-2014, 05:28 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Yes, anything that involves wet shaving. If someone is willing to tutor they just need to reply in this thread.

178 23,808
 11-04-2014, 05:32 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
Time for a bump.
Do any of you have a bit of time to share your knowledge?
~Richard

8 1,194
 11-04-2014, 06:27 PM
User Info
Very thoughtful idea, Richard. I'm surprised no one appears to be taking advantage of it. I'm a neophyte or I'd volunteer. Smile

2 54
 11-06-2014, 08:19 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(11-04-2014, 06:27 PM)wjosephsimmons Wrote: Very thoughtful idea, Richard. I'm surprised no one appears to be taking advantage of it. I'm a neophyte or I'd volunteer. Smile
I concur. This is a GREAT idea! Not experienced enough to be a mentor, I don't think, but I would encourage those who are to get involved, if they can.

2 1,683
 11-24-2014, 08:55 AM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
OK, someone needs to break the ice. I'm Tom, I'm, 54 years old, and I live in the northeast corner of Georgia. I don't have any kind of special talent, but here's what I've got;

I can get a BBS shave with pretty much any DE or SE.
I can get good lather with soap, cream, Italian soap, etc.
I can get it with badger, but I prefer boar or horsehair.
I can face-lather, or bowl-lather.
I've got half a dozen popular creams, and around 30 soaps, if you want to try something different.
I can get a decent shave with a straight razor without hurting myself, but I'm not the one you want teaching stropping or honing.
I'm more than happy to help with anything I can.

Some of us older guys were taught by our fathers, and they weren't exactly "experts". They just knew way more about it than we did. Based on that model, I'm "qualified" to mentor a newer shaver that needs help. It's the least I can do......

0 272
 12-01-2014, 09:25 AM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
(11-24-2014, 08:55 AM)Java Wrote: OK, someone needs to break the ice. I'm Tom, I'm, 54 years old, and I live in the northeast corner of Georgia. I don't have any kind of special talent, but here's what I've got;

I can get a BBS shave with pretty much any DE or SE.
I can get good lather with soap, cream, Italian soap, etc.
I can get it with badger, but I prefer boar or horsehair.
I can face-lather, or bowl-lather.
I've got half a dozen popular creams, and around 30 soaps, if you want to try something different.
I can get a decent shave with a straight razor without hurting myself, but I'm not the one you want teaching stropping or honing.
I'm more than happy to help with anything I can.

Some of us older guys were taught by our fathers, and they weren't exactly "experts". They just knew way more about it than we did. Based on that model, I'm "qualified" to mentor a newer shaver that needs help. It's the least I can do......
Good start! Thank you!
~Richard

8 1,194
 12-25-2016, 01:20 PM
User Info
I live in Orange County California. I wish someone could face to face mentor me in lather making, and shaving with a straight razors , even my technique in DE. I still have a couple areas I never get totally smooth, even after 3 passes, and it's gotta be my technique

straight razors are so intimidating. I bet if straight razor manufacturers offered lessons, they would Sell a razor every time. Even guys selling used ones probably would get more sales if they offered to give lessons ( provided they were local)

Maybe mention this to the makers of straight razors or even the dealer's, like West Coast shaving

With technology , I wonder how much of this can be done with FaceTime?

7 87
 01-11-2017, 02:53 PM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
I'm in Northern Arizona and wilingl to help teach a beginner how to shave wth a SR.

11 659