09-19-2014, 04:14 PM
  • Utah-Man
  • Happy Fatboy user
  • Salt Lake City, Utah
User Info
While going through airport security today, TSA seized my 2 double-edge razor blades. I was surprised because it has never been an issue before. I wish I had known, because I would have put the razor blades in my checked luggage (with my pocket knife). But, since security is after luggage check, there was nothing to do. So, for the next week, I get to use a crappy disposable instead of my Fatboy. Sad

0 52
 09-19-2014, 04:18 PM
User Info
That is unfortunate, but I think most folks have known for some time, now, that razor blades or any sharp, steel objects are allowed on board planes.

82 21,056
 09-19-2014, 06:28 PM
User Info
That is correct. You can have cartridge razors in your carry on luggage, but not DE blades.

48 5,730
 09-19-2014, 06:35 PM
User Info
I travel all the time and have feather blades and my ATT razor in my carry on bag. I can tell you no problems in New York , newark airports. If someone with my name and appearance carry than anyone can:-)

61 3,072
 09-19-2014, 07:11 PM
  • Utah-Man
  • Happy Fatboy user
  • Salt Lake City, Utah
User Info
The mistake that I made was assuming that the TSA definition of "safety razor" was the same as the Gillette definition of "safety razor" from 1915 to 1980 - i.e. a double edge disposable razor blade. That's the definition that I grew up with. If I had stopped to think about it, I would have known that there was a good chance that TSA would prohibit double edge blades from carry-on luggage.

I would just buy some more, but I'm in rural Honduras and I can't find any. Just plastic disposables. Yuck!

0 52
 09-19-2014, 07:38 PM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
Sorry to hear about TSA but it seemsveach employee has their own rules. If you are located near an AOS store some are now stocking multiple DE blades.

2 479
 09-19-2014, 08:09 PM
  • Utah-Man
  • Happy Fatboy user
  • Salt Lake City, Utah
User Info
I'll survive until I get home in 10 days. I'll keep looking, but since I'm now in Honduras and I am not in a situation where I can spend a lot of time finding razor blades, I'll get re-acquainted with my Gillette disposable. Who knows - I might like it!

But at least I was smart enough to not bring one of my straight razors in my carry-on! Loosing one of those to TSA would really hurt!

0 52
 09-19-2014, 08:19 PM
User Info
This is good info to warn others of possible TSA confiscation of DE blades. Hope all goes well in HondurasSmile

3 218
 09-19-2014, 09:36 PM
User Info
As far as I know double edge razor blades are not allowed to take with you and have to be in your checked baggage.

0 55
 09-19-2014, 10:04 PM
User Info
From tsa.gov: Razor-Type Blades - such as box cutters, utility knives, and safety razor blades are not allowed in carry-on. Disposable razors and their cartridges are permitted

The problem with the TSA - as it is with security in European airports - is that each airport and each employee seems to have their own idea of how the rules should be implemented.

3 4,374
 09-20-2014, 04:02 PM
User Info
I saw the same thing on the TSA site as I was buying my airline tickets for a conference next month. I figured I'd have to go get some disposables. Not looking forward to it, but at least I can still take some soap and a brush. Of course, I'll have to get my wife to make me up a 3.4 oz or smaller tin of soap. I don't think I can take anything larger in a carry-on. Sad

0 1,055
 09-20-2014, 11:08 PM
User Info
(09-20-2014, 04:02 PM)Shannons Soaps Wrote: I saw the same thing on the TSA site as I was buying my airline tickets for a conference next month. I figured I'd have to go get some disposables. Not looking forward to it, but at least I can still take some soap and a brush. Of course, I'll have to get my wife to make me up a 3.4 oz or smaller tin of soap. I don't think I can take anything larger in a carry-on. Sad

Brian, you can take your razors, sans blades, in your carry on as long as they aren't straights. Blades are OK in your checked in luggage. Or everything questionable can be mailed ahead and they'll be waiting for you. Mail them back of course, or just put the remainder in the trash. I doubt you'll use 3 ounces of shave soap at a conference unless you plan to shave folks there. The soap container mailed doesn't need to be full, just enough for the few shaves at the conference.

32 6,445
 09-20-2014, 11:36 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Only liquids/gels are restricted by size. Hard soaps are not. I brought 2 deodorant sticks & 5 refill pucks of soap back in my carry-on once. TSA looked at them, raised their eyebrows and let me go on my way.
Half the time, they don't even look at my DE89 razor travel kit. I guess it depends on how it looks on their TV screen from the scanner. If it stands "up" so the scanner is looking "down" the head/handle then the profile is masked. But if the razor is laying flat so the scanner can see the razor outline, they'll pull everything out and have a look for blades.
But like others said, no point in toying with TSA. If you MUST travel without checked luggage, mail some blades ahead of time, buy them local, or go without.

47 1,903
 09-22-2014, 09:25 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
If you anticipate travel in advance this is the solution. You MAIL the items ahead of time.

2 3,171
 09-22-2014, 02:42 PM
User Info
I always place my DE razors in the provided trays so that the security folks can see it directly and check to see that there are no blades in it.
I have never had an issue so far, but I don't travel, very often. Smile

82 21,056
 09-22-2014, 04:36 PM
User Info
I thought about buying locally, but figured I might not like what I found.

Our soaps are soft, so I figured better to be under the limit just in case. I might have a hard soap around here somewhere.

Mailing might be the best solution all around.

Good thought on placing the razor in the tray.

Thanks for the suggestions.

0 1,055
 09-24-2014, 05:38 AM
User Info
I've carried-on hard shaving soaps several times without any problem. I usually bring both my Weber DE, without a blade, and a cartridge razor, with a blade. If I can get DE blades at my destination, that's what I do. If I can't, I survive with the cartridge razor.

48 5,730
 09-24-2014, 08:30 AM
User Info
A prudent precaution. It's funny... My wife walked by the bathroom while I was shaving this morning, and, referring to my razor, she asked me: "How are you gonna get that thing on a plane?"

0 1,055
 09-24-2014, 12:30 PM
User Info
(09-24-2014, 08:30 AM)Shannons Soaps Wrote: A prudent precaution. It's funny... My wife walked by the bathroom while I was shaving this morning, and, referring to my razor, she asked me: "How are you gonna get that thing on a plane?"

* Brian, I presume it isn't/wasn't a straight! Biggrin

82 21,056
 09-24-2014, 01:02 PM
User Info
This is the reason that I started carrying a Gillette Guard when I travel. No issues with it, and it gives a decent shave.

I'm usually gone for 2 weeks at a time. By the time I get home, I pet the dog, hug the wife, tell the kids to pick up, and shave with my Tech and a fresh blade Biggrin

I've never had any issues with hard soaps and the TSA either.

21 555