09-21-2014, 08:23 PM
User Info
OK, the disliked foods thread and a recent discussion with Wegian Warrior got me to thinking about this. So here goes. Me first.

Finnan Haddie. It's dried salted haddock that's reconstituted and served as a stew. It's in a milk/cream base with potatoes, I add some onion also. It can be served on toast points, and IMO that gets high marks for spreading the aroma to others. AngelBiggrin

I'd bring it to work and almost clear out the lunchroom. It has an interesting aroma to be sure, even better as it ripens if it sits under refrigeration for a few days as it always will since I'm the only person at home who will eat it. I love the stuff.

I recently saw a segment of Hells Kitchen where the losing team had to eat a lunch of boiled salted haddock. Lead me to it! Only one gent ate it. If I'd been there there would have been 2 eating with gusto. But mu mom would make codfish balls from dried salted cod and they were delicious also, similar but milder flavor.

Does anyone else here like Finnan Haddie?

32 6,460
 09-21-2014, 09:50 PM
User Info
Never heard about it before... and now I want some.

3 4,512
 09-22-2014, 06:31 AM
User Info
Hans, do you have dried salted haddock? If so I can send you a recipe, or post it. It's really easy to make.

32 6,460