09-21-2014, 08:47 PM
User Info
Just what the subject says, If you remember a dish, or had one somewhere and need it. describe it, what was in it?where'd you get it? Anything and as much as possible to go on and I bet some of us might be able to help. I get a lot of my recipes from those sections in Cooks Country and Cooks Illustrated. The Lemon Bisque I just made was from there and it was quite good. It'll be even better next time though.Wink

So what dish do you remember and need a recipe to make it.

Me I remember fricasseed chicken hearts and margles, lots of gravy, served on a bed of rice. It doesn't sound good, but as a kid I loved it. I think mom dredged them in flour then fried them a bit to develop the flavor, then pressure cooked them where the flour coating turned into the gravy and tenderized the margles. She may have helped it along a bit. I haven't made it because I know my wife won't like it, but that could be an example of what we could work with. Minus the cooking helps of course.

OK, help with this one (it's real). Mom would make me scrambled eggs with chicken livers and onions. It was one of my favorite lunches when I'd walk home for lunch. I can't duplicate it to this day and I have tried. Who knows the secret to make it? Heck, there were times she'd make it for supper and it was just as good at the dinner table. She ha lots of mouths to feed and eggs and chicken hearts and margles were pretty inexpensive back then. Feed a family of 6 on not much $.

Another favorite was "egg pancakes" but they were just crepes with jam/jelly/peanut butter/whatever. A delicious hot lunch. I know how to make those. They're easy, but for the life of me I can't figure out how she made the liver/egg/onion. I can't get it right, I want creamy innards to the livers, not bloody, not tough and dry.

32 6,471
 09-21-2014, 09:18 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
When I was a little kid, maybe 4 or 5, I would spend Sunday afternoons at my grandparents house. They moved from Northern England shortly before my mom was born...this will explain this recipe.

My Grandma Johnston would always made me Rice Pudding. I LOVED IT!! I have a "version" of the recipient...but its not the original. My grandma never wrote down her recipes so all o have to go off is:

3 heaping tablespoons of rice, some water until it's covered and a whack of butter. Put it in the oven (200 I think) until the water is gone. Then add a bunch of evaporated milk and leave it on the stove top until it's all absorbed...

Well it's something like that. My mom makes it every now and then, and gets it spot on about half the time...but those are the times when no recipe is fill used and she can't remember how she made it. Sad

This is the only recipient that I wish I knew how to make!

1 608
 09-22-2014, 06:34 AM
User Info
(09-21-2014, 09:18 PM)Lradke Wrote: When I was a little kid, maybe 4 or 5, I would spend Sunday afternoons at my grandparents house. They moved from Northern England shortly before my mom was born...this will explain this recipe.

My Grandma Johnston would always made me Rice Pudding. I LOVED IT!! I have a "version" of the recipient...but its not the original. My grandma never wrote down her recipes so all o have to go off is:

3 heaping tablespoons of rice, some water until it's covered and a whack of butter. Put it in the oven (200 I think) until the water is gone. Then add a bunch of evaporated milk and leave it on the stove top until it's all absorbed...

Well it's something like that. My mom makes it every now and then, and gets it spot on about half the time...but those are the times when no recipe is fill used and she can't remember how she made it. Sad

Luke, no recipe found on the 'net is close? Rice pudding is super easy, but if you're looking for something "like gran'mum" made, you may need to use one that's close and modify it.

32 6,471
 09-22-2014, 07:19 AM
User Info
What type of giblets does "margles" refer to, Brian? I've never seen that word before. Maybe it's a regional term?

8 951
 09-22-2014, 08:09 AM
User Info
(09-22-2014, 07:19 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: What type of giblets does "margles" refer to, Brian? I've never seen that word before. Maybe it's a regional term?

Maybe regional, maybe goes back to a german word? It's the muscular part of the bird stomach that's full of pebbles and does the chewing for the bird.

32 6,471
 09-22-2014, 09:55 AM
User Info
Ah...the gizzard.

8 951
 09-23-2014, 09:41 AM
  • dajmacd
  • Tennessee River Valley
User Info
Brian,

Reading your post reminded me of some of the great food my mom used to cook when I was growing up. Most of her cooking was out of popular cookbooks and package labels, but she knew how to add her "special touch" to almost everything she made.

The eggs, onions and livers dish sounds like something I'd like to try myself. My tips to try would be to start by cooking them in the order I listed above. Cook the eggs to a soft scramble and move to a bowl and cover with a plate to keep warm. Increase the pan heat a bit and cook the onions 'til soft but not quite browned in your fat of choice and push to the side of the pan and add the livers which have been separated, rinsed, and patted dry. Flour or not would be your choice. Brown the livers on both sides, cut the heat, and cook til they are "set" but with some give when poked. I would also make sure the livers weren't fresh out of the fridge cold before cooking. May have to try this tonight...

4 194
 09-23-2014, 12:05 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
(09-22-2014, 06:34 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote:
(09-21-2014, 09:18 PM)Lradke Wrote: When I was a little kid, maybe 4 or 5, I would spend Sunday afternoons at my grandparents house. They moved from Northern England shortly before my mom was born...this will explain this recipe.

Luke, no recipe found on the 'net is close? Rice pudding is super easy, but if you're looking for something "like gran'mum" made, you may need to use one that's close and modify it.
None that I can find. All are way too sweet. My grandmas had a very distinct taste...an extreme cream taste. I have one recipe from my mom and I have altered it several times...but it always comes up short. :/

1 608
 09-23-2014, 03:31 PM
User Info
(09-22-2014, 08:09 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote:
(09-22-2014, 07:19 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: What type of giblets does "margles" refer to, Brian? I've never seen that word before. Maybe it's a regional term?

Maybe regional, maybe goes back to a german word? It's the muscular part of the bird stomach that's full of pebbles and does the chewing for the bird.

(09-22-2014, 09:55 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: Ah...the gizzard.

(09-22-2014, 08:09 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote:

And if anyone needs a superb recipe for fixing gizzards let me know!

I can make them up tender and flavorful Smile. They are a treat I only get when I am home it seems.

6 1,224
 09-23-2014, 08:52 PM
User Info
Lay it on us Eric!

(I'll have to figure out a way to get my wife to partake. I might be cooking it for just one. )

32 6,471
 09-24-2014, 06:46 AM
User Info
(09-23-2014, 08:52 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Lay it on us Eric!

(I'll have to figure out a way to get my wife to partake. I might be cooking it for just one. )

+1 for the gizzard wizard recipe.

0 1,007
 09-24-2014, 07:58 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Many many years ago my Grandmother made me Veronishkas.My mother couldn't make them and I thought the art lost with the passing of my Grandmother and now my mother's generation. They are like Pirogi but subtly different. I found this u-tube of a 90 year old making them. The film is subtitled.for me it is like listening to my Grandmother again. Now if I can just get my wife to try and make them.

70 1,098
 09-24-2014, 09:13 PM
User Info
Interesting. Like a tiny perogie, but finished as an Italian tortellini.

Are they normally eaten as is after boiling, or are they sauced?

Cheese filled perogies I can help with, but I know nothing of those.

32 6,471
 09-25-2014, 06:07 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I used to eat them as is with the fried onions on top. Most people dip them in sour cream then eat them. I'm not a big fan of sour cream.

70 1,098
 09-25-2014, 06:29 AM
User Info
Same way we eat perogies, with butter and fried onions. But after boiling we fry our perogies to get them to develop more flavor from the browned noodle dough.

Thinking about the babushkas, I can remember my G'mom on my mothers side and I was very young when this happened. She could crank out perogies like nothing. I don't think a machine could have been faster. My first brush with perogies was then. Thankfully before she lost her faculties someone got with her to figure out the recipes and record them. Of course she never measured anything, so someone had to be right there to record amounts.

I hope someone can help you with your recipe. The connection to the past is priceless IMO.

32 6,471
 09-25-2014, 03:24 PM
User Info
OK easy gizzards Wink

Place the gizzards in a pot with a few stalks of chopped celery and chopped onion. Add a teaspoon of celery salt and a teaspoon of salt.
Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 2-3 hours.

Remove the gizzards and chill. Save the broth for soup stock!

To fry the gizzards make a thin egg wash with egg white and cold water. And a dredge made up of 1 part corn meal and 4 parts flour. Dip the gizzards in the wash then dredge in the corn meal flour mix. Then fry in a cast iron skillet with enough lard to almost cover the gizzards. Flip once .

If it is only my dad and grandpops and I we season heavily with Tony Chachere's. Otherwise just salt and pepper.

They will be crisp and tender and juicy. Wink

6 1,224
 09-25-2014, 11:11 PM
User Info
I never had gizzards done that way, but if I find some I'll have to try it. It's in my recipe archive.

There are some organic poultry folks on the coast who have parts for sale. They're almost impossible to find at the supermarket we go to.

32 6,471
 09-26-2014, 03:16 AM
User Info
(09-25-2014, 11:11 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I never had gizzards done that way, but if I find some I'll have to try it. It's in my recipe archive.

There are some organic poultry folks on the coast who have parts for sale. They're almost impossible to find at the supermarket we go to.
I'm afraid I seldom find them most places I go. At home we still have 1 old grocer that keeps them on hand. And he sells a lot of them.

We rarely eat fried food anymore. Once or twice a month at most. So I go ahead and use lard if I am deep frying something.

I will usually fry up the chicken livers too when I do these. But none of the little kids will eat those. I call the gizzards " Chicken Chunks" and the kids love them. Of course I call my baby back ribs "Really Dark Chicken" and the kids love them.

Wink it will be alright until they catch on Wink

6 1,224
 09-26-2014, 05:43 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(09-26-2014, 03:16 AM)Nickadermis Wrote:
(09-25-2014, 11:11 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I never had gizzards done that way, but if I find some I'll have to try it. It's in my recipe archive.

I'm afraid I seldom find them most places I go. At home we still have 1 old grocer that keeps them on hand. And he sells a lot of them.

We rarely eat fried food anymore. Once or twice a month at most. So I go ahead and use lard if I am deep frying something.

I will usually fry up the chicken livers too when I do these. But none of the little kids will eat those. I call the gizzards " Chicken Chunks" and the kids love them. Of course I call my baby back ribs "Really Dark Chicken" and the kids love them.

Yes just don't call Duck Huey ,Dewy and Louie or the venison Bambi and there should be no problems.
Barry (Formally from Columbia Mo)

70 1,098
 09-26-2014, 04:02 PM
User Info
(09-26-2014, 05:43 AM)Barrylu Wrote:
(09-26-2014, 03:16 AM)Nickadermis Wrote:

Yes just don't call Duck Huey ,Dewy and Louie or the venison Bambi and there should be no problems.
Barry (Formally from Columbia Mo)
Smile gotta be subltle Wink

6 1,224