09-22-2014, 12:30 PM
User Info
I use either a straight razor or a Weber DE. I've never tried SE safety razors. For some time I've read about the Cobra. I was not inclined to try a Cobra because I prefer stainless. Now I'm reading about the Mongoose and HuntLee razors, which are stainless, and I'm contemplating trying a modern SE.

I understand the enjoyment of having different razors in rotation or a collection. However, I'm trying to learn about why the modern SE has so many fans. Is there something about a modern SE that makes it a superior shaver to a DE?

50 6,049
 09-22-2014, 12:36 PM
User Info
I don't know about the cobras and other SE that use the kai and feather blades, but I do know a lot of people like the stiffness that a regular SE blade offers over a DE blade that flexes a lot, and people seem to get more shaves out of a SE blade than a DE blade.

40 5,830
 09-22-2014, 02:40 PM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
A smoother more definitive shave, with no irritation. The blade is rigid and allows for a better beard cut. Your face will stay smoother longer between shaves.

13 611
 09-22-2014, 09:22 PM
User Info
(09-22-2014, 12:36 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I don't know about the cobras and other SE that use the kai and feather blades, but I do know a lot of people like the stiffness that a regular SE blade offers over a DE blade that flexes a lot, and people seem to get more shaves out of a SE blade than a DE blade.

+1 Andrew.

I've only tried the Cobra and while it shaved great it was no better or yielded any better shave then my vintage SE razors, and the audio was missing.

32 6,458
 09-23-2014, 03:07 AM
User Info
The SE blades are significantly wider than the DE blades, requiring fewer passes and resulting in less irritation. The SE blades also seem to be sharper and they hold their edge longer than DE blades. More cutting and less tugging also results in less irritation. Take a look at this thread for more info: http://shavenook.com/thread-cobra-convin...ger-needed. It is as much about the blade as it is the Cobra handle.

18 246
 09-23-2014, 10:04 AM
User Info
No one will be able to truly express what the benefits are of the SE blades and razors as it is all subjective. The only way to find out is to try one (or more) to see how you get on with them. I tried quite a few, including the Cobra, but just couldn't get used to the blades as they weren't very comfortable for me.
Good luck.

82 21,077
 09-23-2014, 10:28 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
(09-23-2014, 10:04 AM)celestino Wrote: No one will be able to truly express what the benefits are of the SE blades and razors as it is all subjective. The only way to find out is to try one (or more) to see how you get on with them. I tried quite a few, including the Cobra, but just couldn't get used to the blades as they weren't very comfortable for me.
Good luck.

Actually, yours is the best response. It is subjective to the subject using said razor. I had just the opposite of what you have undergone (with the exception of the BBS-1). I still urge shavers to try an SE, just as I took another try at DE and found one I liked.

13 611
 09-27-2014, 01:34 AM
User Info
I was straight & DE user, with DE I never find a result as good as with straight, my feeling.

Now I use SE for a moment and I have to say I'm very happy with those.

Injectors are really perfect when you need a quick, safe shave with dfs to BBS result

Cobras : I have both, probably the best shavers but the blades let me some burns and are not comfortable enough for me.

GEM/Ever Ready : I use the Streamline model most of the time with a GEM PTFE blade, for me it's the best compromise between schicks & cobras, close smooth shave and pretty secure.

Still waiting the goose Smile

14 250
 11-04-2014, 09:26 AM
User Info
IMO, the SE feather or kai blades give the best shave. DE blades flex too much for my liking and caused weepers a lot on my throat and bumps as well. I absolutely love my Mongoose and can't wait for the Huntlee.

5 160
 11-04-2014, 09:36 AM
User Info
I hope the Mongoose gives a better shave than my Schick type e. They say the type e is aggressive but just doesn't get close enough for me.

11 230
 11-04-2014, 09:37 AM
User Info
The blades.

eric

7 149
 11-04-2014, 10:09 AM
User Info
(11-04-2014, 09:26 AM)Kyle 3 Pass Wrote: IMO, the SE feather or kai blades give the best shave. DE blades flex too much for my liking and caused weepers a lot on my throat and bumps as well. I absolutely love my Mongoose and can't wait for the Huntlee.

Kyle, that was my experience as well. However, I can also get great shaves with the vintage SEs. The modern SEs with the Feather AC and Kai blades are just superior.

(11-04-2014, 09:36 AM)AngryGreek Wrote: I hope the Mongoose gives a better shave than my Schick type e. They say the type e is aggressive but just doesn't get close enough for me.

There will be no comparison IMO.

31 8,057
 11-04-2014, 05:02 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
The blade is the primary difference in using the SE razor. As far as I can tell, the standard SE blades (GEM, Treet) are all made by ASR. You can get coated and uncoated, stainless and carbon steel. I only use the coated, stainless steel blades. Depending on your beard, these blades are very good or just adequate. I have a difficult beard, so I find these blades simply okay. When I use a DE, I use Feather and get a much smoother shave. The Schick injector blades are superior to the standard blades. I love my Schick injectors and consider them second only to the new SE razors being introduced now.

The interest in today's SEs is due to the Feather AC and Kai blades. I again prefer the Feather AC pro and proguard blades. These are in a class by themselves and I find they outperform all other blades, DE or SE. If you haven't tried a razor that uses these blades, you are missing a great shaving experience.

19 566
 11-24-2014, 02:50 AM
User Info
It does seem that those with difficult beards find vintage and modern SE's cure most...if not all...of their shaving problems (i.e., razor bumps, razor rash, etc.). Ever since I started using only the Mongoose SE with Feather Supers, my problems have disappeared. No razor bumps on my throat anymore. You will never see me pick up a DE again. Rigid blades all the waaaay!

5 160
 11-24-2014, 02:01 PM
User Info
(09-23-2014, 10:04 AM)celestino Wrote: No one will be able to truly express what the benefits are of the SE blades and razors as it is all subjective. The only way to find out is to try one (or more) to see how you get on with them. I tried quite a few, including the Cobra, but just couldn't get used to the blades as they weren't very comfortable for me.
Good luck.

as this fine gentleman said, it's all subjective. best way to find out is try it yourself. at the beginning i was hesitant because i didn't want to waste money but if you buy fine instruments you will not have a hard time at all selling them for the same money you paid for it maybe a little loss!
i have a difficult beard, that's very coarse and hair growing in every direction on the neck. always shaved with a mach 3, then converted to DE. i used Above the Tie R1 and my face didn't like it too much. I thought the razor was a piece of art but them DE blades are not for my face, struggled with razor bumps, irritation, nicks and weepers and never got a close shave like the mach 3! also tried the gillette vintage blue tip, which is extremely mild, i really enjoy shaving with it but it kinda leaves my face dry and the shave is far from a close shave but very comfortable

i now strictly shave with the cobra classic with either a feather or a kai mild blade and both give me OUTSTANDING results, no irritation, weepers, NOTHING and a very smooth close shave! it's worth mentioning that you should give it about 5 shaves before you judge the razor/blade, at least that's how long my face took to get used to the cobra because my first couple of shaves were rough (might be a learning curve) but there was something smooth about it that made me patient knowing i will get rewarded. right now i wouldn't give up SE for anything, though i am yet to try a straight razor.
i am waiting for my mongoose, since i had excellent results the cobra thought i would want to explore with another modern SE! will wait and see!
good luck

22 187