09-22-2014, 12:31 PM
User Info
I'm curious what deodorants have given people problems.

here are a few that just don't agree with me:

right guard in the brown spray can (I used to use this ALL THE TIME, then it just started burning me up)

degree fresh (I'm pretty sure it was this one)

primal pit paste - spice

Tom's of Maine - woodland spice

kiss my face - sport

40 5,830
 09-22-2014, 12:40 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Deodorant? For me, no problems.
Antiperspirant? I can't use any of them without irritation or a rash.

47 1,923
 09-22-2014, 12:46 PM
User Info
(09-22-2014, 12:40 PM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: Deodorant? For me, no problems.
Antiperspirant? I can't use any of them without irritation or a rash.

ugh, I seem to be almost the opposite, with the exception of the 1 stick of degree deodorant.

I've been trying to move from antiperspirants into regular deodorants over the past few months, though sadly each deodorant I've tried has burned me up.

40 5,830
 09-22-2014, 01:00 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Have you tried any of the "live enzyme" deodorants from HTGAM?
http://howtogrowamoustachestore.com/coll.../deodorant

47 1,923
 09-22-2014, 01:27 PM
User Info
(09-22-2014, 01:00 PM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: Have you tried any of the "live enzyme" deodorants from HTGAM?
http://howtogrowamoustachestore.com/coll.../deodorant

I have not, no.

I'm a little hesitant about putting out the $$$ for a new deodorant when I've been burned - literally speaking - by the last 3 I've tried, and these were popular brands.

40 5,830
 09-22-2014, 02:39 PM
User Info
Any spray deodorant will cause me a rash eventually, as will stick deodorants with strong cologne or perfumey scents such as Brut. At this point I stay with the two sticks I know I can tolerate, Armani Acqua di Gio and vintage Ralph Lauren Safari.

207 12,258
 09-23-2014, 06:15 PM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
Any with a scent. AdP is the worse.

2 479
 09-24-2014, 04:22 PM
User Info
I've yet to try any "natural" varieties, but of all the common brands I've tried, only the Dove stuff for men doesn't cause me problems. Neither the antiperspirant (which I wear for work) and the deodorant (which I wear on the weekends) cause me any problems. It's pretty amazing, since pretty much everything irritates my skin.

0 1,070
 09-26-2014, 05:46 AM
User Info
I've also been burned by a lot of varieties. Old spice, Speed Stick, Degree, etc. Most recently, Toms of Maine. Mitchum usually works pretty well for me, but ruins my undershirts. The one that always works is Secret. Yes, it's "made for a woman" but it's also "strong enough for a man" and a couple of the scents are pretty unobtrusive. I've Judy finished my stick, so I'm going to try the Dove this time and see what that gets me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 89
 09-26-2014, 06:29 AM
User Info
Alcohol based, deodorants such as original Oldspice or Brut. It makes my skin hot to the touch to the extent the it burns along with an bright red coloration. It lasts for around an hour or two after application. No alcohol based deodorants for me!

6 589
 09-26-2014, 12:03 PM
User Info
(09-26-2014, 05:46 AM)Chad O Wrote: I've also been burned by a lot of varieties. Old spice, Speed Stick, Degree, etc. Most recently, Toms of Maine. Mitchum usually works pretty well for me, but ruins my undershirts. The one that always works is Secret. Yes, it's "made for a woman" but it's also "strong enough for a man" and a couple of the scents are pretty unobtrusive. I've Judy finished my stick, so I'm going to try the Dove this time and see what that gets me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know degree makes a stick for 'sensitive skin'. have you tried that?

I've tried it and it didn't give me any problems.

40 5,830
 09-26-2014, 05:18 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
Regular Old Spice. Which is funny considering I use the Old Spice Matterhorn and am perfectly fine.

1 608
 10-01-2014, 06:27 AM
User Info
Do you mean deodorant, or anti-perspirant?

Many years ago I developed a rash to Mitchum, so discontinued it's use. But at the time it boldly proclaimed it was highest in aluminum whatever to stop perspiration.

Today I just use an alum block as a deodorant. But maybe it also has anti-perspirant qualities? I don't know. I just know that it works for me.

32 6,459
 10-01-2014, 11:43 PM
User Info
(10-01-2014, 06:27 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Do you mean deodorant, or anti-perspirant?

Many years ago I developed a rash to Mitchum, so discontinued it's use. But at the time it boldly proclaimed it was highest in aluminum whatever to stop perspiration.

Today I just use an alum block as a deodorant. But maybe it also has anti-perspirant qualities? I don't know. I just know that it works for me.

both, really.

the last 3 sticks I've tried that burned me have been standard deodorants.

40 5,830
 10-02-2014, 06:57 PM
User Info
I'm sensitive to everything, it seems, but have had zero problems with the Thai crystal stick and Colorado Pit Stik cream.

29 1,776
 11-10-2014, 03:31 PM
User Info
Have you tried comparing the ingredients lists to see which ingredients it could be? Then we could suggest something without some of them.

0 29
 11-10-2014, 04:34 PM
  • lowjax
  • I can customize myself
  • Milwaukee, WI
User Info
I have a similar problem. I have used antiperspirants most of my life. Started with Avon as a teenager, used whatever was cheap through college, and then have used Degree for the last 10 years or so. I've been trying to switch to a Deodorant, but either it doesn't work or gives me a rash. Crystal also gives me a rash and spray on (Right Guard, etc) give me a headache.

I've tried Old Spice, Speick, L'Occitane, and a few other generic ones and had issues with them all.

I've found the PPF didn't cause rashes, but it also didn't work. After 4 hours the scent of a wet gorilla would be wafting about me. The funny thing is that if I skip a day totally and don't use anything, I don't smell that bad. Putting on PPF made it worse. Really a bummer as I liked the scent.

I've got 2 more on deck to try: Every Man Jack and yes, I paid $22 for some Trumpers Sandalwood. Someone said it lasted 6 months, so we'll see. I hope it works.

1 47
 11-10-2014, 06:15 PM
User Info
Took a look at the ingredients, you could be allergic to both propylene glycol and sodium bicarbonate

0 29
 11-10-2014, 07:17 PM
User Info
I never used to get irritations from deodorants such as Old Spice. The a few years ago, spurred by fora such as here to move toward more natural products, I tried the Crystal alum and love it. Then I tried a sample of an Old Spice stick and it burned pretty badly. I have tried the Toms of Maine deodorant with no problems (I use the Crystal stone and a little bit later use the Toms since it has a nice lavender scent).

A long time ago I forswore antiperspirants and accepted the sweatiness. After using them, my armpits got this weird slick feeling, like they were waxy. I knew that was unnatural.

84 1,505
 11-10-2014, 07:34 PM
User Info
Any gel or speed stick style deodorant burns me up. I stick with Old Spice Denali now. Smells good but not strong so as not to clash with Splashes and Edt's.

147 3,536