05-24-2012, 11:02 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,
Witch hazel is a popular topic on various shaving forums, a topic that continuously comes up. Everyone has an opinion on its benefits, and everyone has his preference for brand. For what it's worth, for me, this is the magic nectar:

[Image: IMG_1446.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1448.jpg]

132 2,614
 05-24-2012, 11:05 AM
User Info
Witch Hazel is the one thing I use for every single shave. I use the plain stuff from Walmart (all of $1.44) and mix it 1 to 1 with rum or vodka, then I add something to make the scent interesting. The last time I used Tabac cologne. This time I'll use a different cologne. I add just enough to tell it's there, but not so much as to overwhelm whatever else I decide to use.

0 836
 05-24-2012, 11:06 AM
  • Qhead
  • Cleveland, Ohio
User Info
(05-24-2012, 11:02 AM)Obie Wrote: Gentlemen,
Witch hazel is a popular topic on various shaving forums, a topic that continuously comes up. Everyone has an opinion on its benefits, and everyone has his preference for brand. For what it's worth, for me, this is the magic nectar:

Obie, does it help with irritation and bumps? This is one after shave treatment I have not tried yet. Is Thayer's only available on-line or is it at retail drugstores like CVS?

15 185
 05-24-2012, 11:25 AM
User Info
I use Dickenson's WH, when I run out I'm going to give Thayer's a shot.

0 433
 05-24-2012, 11:38 AM
User Info
And it works for insect bites too!

32 6,309
 05-24-2012, 11:41 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(05-24-2012, 11:06 AM)Qhead Wrote:

Obie, does it help with irritation and bumps? This is one after shave treatment I have not tried yet. Is Thayer's only available on-line or is it at retail drugstores like CVS?
It helps with skin irritation. That I know. The bumps are something else. The bumps are cause by various conditions. One is going against the grain for some people. Also, a dull razor can be the cause. Witch hazel is an astringent, something I've used for years. Good stuff. The local pharmacies don't seem to have this particular version. Some vitamin shops have the others, but not this. I have found this at Whole Foods. Also, you can get it online at:
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/THA014/ItemDetail?n=0
I get mine there.

132 2,614
 05-24-2012, 11:44 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I am now using it after every shave. The generic brand from Target, etc.
OTC Witch Hazel's are all similar as long as they don't have added ingredients or extra alcohol.
The distillate is without alcohol but honestly, the minimal alcohol content ,(14%) inherent is not a factor and does not dry out the skin.
Anti-inflammatory and antiseptic, it soothes me on contact and I actually like the smell. Definitely a true magic nectar!

I use it by itself as an A/S or before my true A/S ,(Krampert's Finest!)and sometimes I use it even when I don't shave to calm my skin. It's a great all over skin toner and great for the scalp too; once recommended to me by a Trichologist as a scalp astringent after shampooing and conditioning to calm and soothe the scalp as well as rid any excess product left over after the shower.
Can you tell that I'm a huge fan?!

All of the varieties (w/aloe,medicated,etc. from Thayer's and others sound interesting but so far, I haven't messed with the success of the basic formula.

6 905
 05-24-2012, 11:45 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(05-24-2012, 11:38 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: And it works for insect bites too!
That's why I consider it the Magic Nectar. This particular version also has a good dose of aloe vera, which I find quite helpful to the traditional shaving world.

132 2,614
 05-24-2012, 12:19 PM
User Info
I use Dickenson's pure WH and mix it with Bulgarian Rose Water. After my coldwater rinse following the shave, I splash it on very liberally and allow to air dry. Ahhhh.

9 1,199
 05-24-2012, 12:41 PM
User Info
I also use Dickenson's after my cold rise but I never knew you could add a scent to it. I'm definately going to try that. Obie, can Thayers be purchased at local stores or online only?
Cheers,
Ivan

0 143
 05-24-2012, 12:46 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(05-24-2012, 12:41 PM)IvanCro70 Wrote: I also use Dickenson's after my cold rise but I never knew you could add a scent to it. I'm definately going to try that. Obie, can Thayers be purchased at local stores or online only?
Cheers,
Ivan
Ivan,
Here in the province, Thayers varieties are available at selected vitamins shops, although I have never seen this particular selection. Here, it is also available at Whole Foods. I, however, get it online, usually ordering two or three bottles at a time. After all, you never when the world is going to end.
I provided the link to the online store where I buy it. They are prompt and reasonably priced. I think shipping is around $5.

132 2,614
 05-24-2012, 01:07 PM
User Info
(05-24-2012, 12:46 PM)Obie Wrote:
(05-24-2012, 12:41 PM)IvanCro70 Wrote: I also use Dickenson's after my cold rise but I never knew you could add a scent to it. I'm definately going to try that. Obie, can Thayers be purchased at local stores or online only?
Cheers,
Ivan
Ivan,
Here in the province, Thayers varieties are available at selected vitamins shops, although I have never seen this particular selection. Here, it is also available at Whole Foods. I, however, get it online, usually ordering two or three bottles at a time. After all, you never when the world is going to end.
I provided the link to the online store where I buy it. They are prompt and reasonably priced. I think shipping is around $5.

Thanks for the reply Obie, I've seen them on a website and noticed they have a few different types of WH, I never ran into Thayers here in Michigan.

0 143
 05-24-2012, 01:22 PM
User Info
Obie if you get the chance read my post on making your own skin food. Witch Hazel is the main ingredient. The amount of glycerin that I originally listed should be determined by each individual so when you read it just keep that in mind. It really does work great and once you get the main items to create this homemade skin food you will have enough to make many, many times.

0 123
 05-24-2012, 01:23 PM
User Info
(05-24-2012, 12:41 PM)IvanCro70 Wrote: I also use Dickenson's after my cold rise but I never knew you could add a scent to it. I'm definately going to try that.

I've only done it once, but I enjoyed the effect. What I did was to pour some off into a 2oz flip top bottle, along with the rum and cologne, but initially it was just the WH and cologne.

I found that with Tabac cologne, 10 to 12 full sprays into the 2oz bottle was enough to give the scent level I was looking for. YMMV. Add gradually because you can always add more, but you can't take any out.

0 836
 05-24-2012, 01:38 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(05-24-2012, 01:22 PM)mctmatt Wrote: Obie if you get the chance read my post on making your own skin food. Witch Hazel is the main ingredient. The amount of glycerin that I originally listed should be determined by each individual so when you read it just keep that in mind. It really does work great and once you get the main items to create this homemade skin food you will have enough to make many, many times.

That sounds creative. I will keep it in mind. Thanks.

132 2,614
 05-24-2012, 03:35 PM
User Info
(05-24-2012, 12:19 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: I use Dickenson's pure WH and mix it with Bulgarian Rose Water. After my coldwater rinse following the shave, I splash it on very liberally and allow to air dry. Ahhhh.

Randy, what proportions do you use? Have heard mixing a scent into the witch hazel before, but have also heard of mixed results - clouding, failure to blend, stuff like that. Would like to try it to get a bit of a stronger scent than Thayer's rose witch hazel provides. Thanks! Oh, p.s., any suggestions for ending up with a lavender scented witch hazel?

3 543
 05-24-2012, 05:43 PM
User Info
Witch hazel is a popular topic on various shaving forums, a topic that continuously comes up. Everyone has an opinion on its benefits, and everyone has his preference for brand. For what it's worth, for me, this is the magic nectar: <Thayers Medicated SuperHazel>

I'm with you, Obie, this is my favorite witch hazel. I really like the peppermint. It also has calendula. Very soothing!

4 112
 05-24-2012, 06:52 PM
User Info
(05-24-2012, 03:35 PM)john parker Wrote:
(05-24-2012, 12:19 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: I use Dickenson's pure WH and mix it with Bulgarian Rose Water. After my coldwater rinse following the shave, I splash it on very liberally and allow to air dry. Ahhhh.

Randy, what proportions do you use? Have heard mixing a scent into the witch hazel before, but have also heard of mixed results - clouding, failure to blend, stuff like that. Would like to try it to get a bit of a stronger scent than Thayer's rose witch hazel provides. Thanks! Oh, p.s., any suggestions for ending up with a lavender scented witch hazel?

Hi, John.

I typically mix WH 50-50 with Rose Water and shake the bottle up (I just mix in the original Dickenson's WH bottle). No clouding, no clumping, no failure to blend. WH and Rose Water are natural and very clean and clear. I like applying it after I shower even when I don't shave.

As for the lavender, I would just grab some lavender essential oil and scent it to your liking. I just like rose scent and the rose water is also good for your skin as well.

9 1,199
 05-25-2012, 06:11 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I tried it on my whole face last night before bed instead of soap. Left my visage feeling quite nice.

I was planning to mix this with my Clubman the next time I use it. The scent is quite strong if I use enough to get good coverage.

10 1,858
 05-25-2012, 07:46 PM
User Info
Does the medicated witch hazel contain camphor or menthol?

1 316