09-22-2014, 11:52 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
It seems I really can't use it daily. The two Simpsons Best brushes and the Semogue Select Silvertip I have are all exquisite but it seems I get irritation from daily face lathering if I use badger exclusively. I don't mash on the brushes at all. I think the natural scrub of badger is something that my thinning skin cannot stand for prolonged periods.

What I have found is that if I use a synthetic half of the week, I suffer no problems. My Mühle Travel brush has been seeing more frequent use and even if I face lather con gusto, my skin remains smooth and glowing after I've shaved.

So while I was planning on getting a Chubby 1 or Classic 2 in best for Christmas, it looks like a larger Mühle synthetic is where I'm heading. I was thinking a 23mm but Ravi's and Teiste's glowing praise for the 25mm version is pushing me to go for the larger knot.

I should have the brush in three weeks or so. I'd like to see if my theory holds true.

2 286
 09-23-2014, 12:19 AM
User Info
I have the Muhle Silvertip Fibre XL (25mm knot and 62mm loft). The tips are extremely soft, are like feathers. It's a really nice brush but I enjoy more the natural scrub of a badger or boar. The problem with Muhle Silvertip Fibre seems to be with the breakage of hard soaps. Because of the soft tips is hard to load the brush quickly and you have to make more swirls on the surface of the soap to heavily load your brush.

0 111
 09-23-2014, 12:57 AM
User Info
Well... if face-lathering irritates you, have you considered building your lather in a bowl?

Don't know about the Simpsons best you have, but the Semogue Selected Silvertip gets significantly softer with use.

But above all, use what is best for you and be happy! Smile

2 5,545
 09-23-2014, 01:25 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
(09-23-2014, 12:57 AM)oversaturn Wrote: Well... if face-lathering irritates you, have you considered building your lather in a bowl?

Don't know about the Simpsons best you have, but the Semogue Selected Silvertip gets significantly softer with use.

But above all, use what is best for you and be happy!
I used to bowl lather when I used creams. I've been using soaps exclusively for the past 7 or so months and find that bowl lathering soap takes up more time in the mornings.

My Semogue is actually softer than my Simpson brushes but I feel its strands to be thicker or coarser. It is perhaps the least gentle of my badger brushes.

2 286
 09-23-2014, 01:45 AM
User Info
Try some softer badgers then.
Thäter 2-band
Shavemac Silvertip or their new 2-band Silvertip
Simpson 3- band super or 2-band super Silvertip

24 5,840
 09-23-2014, 02:16 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
(09-23-2014, 01:45 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Try some softer badgers then.
Thäter 2-band
Shavemac Silvertip or their new 2-band Silvertip
Simpson 3- band super or 2-band super Silvertip

Next year perhaps. For now, simpson super is beyond what the speaker of the house will permit. Hahaha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 286
 09-23-2014, 02:18 AM
User Info
Or a Thäter 3-band silvertip. Few brushes are softer (or as soft as) those.

About bowl-lathering hard soaps.... well, it can be as quick as face-lathering. It's just a matter of technique.

2 5,545
 09-23-2014, 05:05 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
(09-23-2014, 02:18 AM)oversaturn Wrote: Or a Thäter 3-band silvertip. Few brushes are softer (or as soft as) those.

About bowl-lathering hard soaps.... well, it can be as quick as face-lathering. It's just a matter of technique.
Would the 3-band be what they call Finest Silvertip? This is the link I found:

http://www.royalshave.com/mm5/merchant.m...re_Code=rs

2 286
 09-23-2014, 07:50 AM
User Info
This is the brush I have. Some websites, for some reason, call it "Finest Silvertip", yes... Go figure! Tongue

As you can see in their website, Thäter doesn't use that definition for that hair grade:

http://www.badger-shavingbrush.com/19.html

[Image: 49125-1-10.jpg]

In Germany, nassrasur and thedifferentscent have a good selection of Thäter brushes. The prices may be higher than in US based shops, though.

2 5,545
 09-23-2014, 07:58 AM
User Info
The softer badger brushes mentioned above is what I would also suggest.

I would also highly recommend the Plisson synthetic.
Good luck.

82 21,056
 09-23-2014, 11:53 AM
User Info
(09-23-2014, 07:58 AM)celestino Wrote: The softer badger brushes mentioned above is what I would also suggest.

I would also highly recommend the Plisson synthetic.
Good luck.

+1. The softest and least irritating brushes I have thus far encountered are the new Plisson synthetic fibre brushes.

They are available directly from Plisson. Or, if you happen to be near a L'Occitane boutique, many carry the Cade synthetic shave brush made by Plisson. It has the same knot as the Plisson synthetic, just a different handle, and usually a much lower price. Unfortunately, the brush has not been available on L'Occitane's website for some time.

Good luck.

0 386
 09-23-2014, 12:10 PM
User Info
Another vote for the Plisson. The softest brush for face lathering I've used. It's excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 1,182
 09-23-2014, 12:27 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(09-23-2014, 02:18 AM)oversaturn Wrote: Or a Thäter 3-band silvertip. Few brushes are softer (or as soft as) those.

Agreed.

34 1,628
 09-23-2014, 06:07 PM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
On Simpsons limited edition page I thought I saw a non badger brush.

2 479
 09-24-2014, 01:21 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Circular strokes could create more skin irritation than painting strokes.Check out this video , to see if the painting strokes could help you better :

88 7,214
 09-25-2014, 10:26 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
(09-24-2014, 01:21 PM)Teiste Wrote: Circular strokes could create more skin irritation than painting strokes.Check out this video , to see if the painting strokes could help you better :

Thanks for the link Teiste! I start with circular strokes then quickly move to paintbrush strokes. Can't seem to build a decent lather on my face if I do paintbrush all the way. Maybe some practice is in order.

2 286
 09-26-2014, 08:53 AM
User Info
Nothing wrong with using something other than badger.

9 3,024
 09-27-2014, 01:00 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Teiste, I've tried using paintbrush strokes these past days. Takes a little longer to get the lather I want but I seem to be getting the hang of it.

I'm getting better skin feel post shave. Thanks!

2 286
 09-27-2014, 04:40 AM
User Info
The synthetics are sooo pillowy soft and will never give you a problem no matter which brand you try. I had the Plisson and it felt like i was lathering with a feather. You definitely should try softer badgers. The Simpson in best is not the softest out there. Some of mine have slight scritch to them.

11 230
 09-27-2014, 05:29 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
AngryGeek, the Simpsons I have are the softest brushes I've had thus far. My first brush was an AoS Finest and that had a bit of scritch that mellowed only after several months. My Semogue 2013 has tips that are soft enough but can still be harsh if I work it too vigorously. The Duke and Classic are actually the least likely to irritate my skin.

That said, I went through both Simpsons and the Semogue these past few days using painting strokes and no issues. I think I'll be going Thäter next since they aren't always easy for me to get.

I can go with a larger Mühle STF later as they're more readily available. I still have a Mühle Travel synthetic anyway. Biggrin Plisson is a little trickier to get.

2 286