09-24-2014, 06:39 AM
User Info
Bottom line up front;
It's a handy, versatile little video-camera, but keep in mind that it's NOT a replacement for a proper handy-cam or photo camera.

There are a couple of reasons why I decided to pick up an action-camera:
  • Commuting on my scooter when the weather allows (and sometimes when it don't), I see my fair share and then some of reckless driving... sometimes so close I can only wonder who holds their hand over me at times.
  • I already got a dashboard camera for the car, and it has helped with an insurance claim
  • I like toys and had a somewhat unexpected windfall coming my way.

The camera itself is even smaller and lighter than I believed - and while the waterproof housing adds a fair bit of bulk it don't add much weight at all. Packed along with the camera was a pair of mounts and a splash proof WiFi remote... useful, since the buttons on the camera can be a little hard to push when wearing gloves. Even more useful - at least when out of the worst weather - is the ability to use your smart phone or tablet to control the camera. A smart phone is also the only way to have a proper idea of what's in frame before snapping a picture - unless you spring for the optional LCD backplate.

So far I've mostly been using the camera with a chest mount I picked up along with the camera - I put a mount on my helmet, but the video was a bit... sickening. Apparently I move my head back and forth, as well as up and down all the time while I drive my scooter... I never noticed before.

I've set the camera to film 48 frames per second at 1440p - suggested in the manual as the best compromise between quality, filesize and battery life. I might drop the resolution down to 1080p (full HD) and up the frame rate to 120 per second... the dashboard camera in my car is 'just' full HD and that is more than good enough to read license plates and so on.

For those who are interested, and who got a good internet connection, I got a demo video uploaded right here - it's close to 700MB, but shows off the camera output during both day and night conditions (please ignore the humming and whistling... another thing I do while scootering I've never really noticed before getting a camera).

Overall I'm very happy with the GoPro so far, and quite happy I picked it up. I'm needed a couple more mounts - a handle bar mount would be awesome - but it do what I want it to do with ease. If you need a small action camera, I can recommend it - but DO NOT believe it'll replace your full size video camera or conventional photo camera.

Edit 9th Oct:
While the subject matter of the photo could been better, I feel this self portrait shows how the GoPro still image capabilities.
[Image: 2G4hDvu.jpg]
Link to full size image (4000x3000 - 5Mb)
Things to note:
- Ability to resolve details, ie the wall paper texture.
- Fisheye lens, which is less notable if you turn off the ultra wide screen capture.
- How it copes with shadows (under the cabinets on the left) and bright areas (my scooter suit).

3 4,666
 09-25-2014, 10:16 AM
User Info
Hans, good to hear the camera is working out for! Smile
I guess we need pics! Biggrin

83 21,109
 10-06-2014, 11:26 PM
User Info
Updated OP with picture.

3 4,666