09-24-2014, 03:59 PM
User Info
I ran across a name for the style of knurling found on the Muhle R89 at one point, but am not finding it. I just received the razor today and find the handle a bit mesmerizing, so I'm curious what it is called.

Thanks in advance.

15 145
 09-24-2014, 05:11 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
SLIPPERY....but in GermanBiggrin

6 2,024
 09-24-2014, 05:18 PM
User Info
(09-24-2014, 05:11 PM)Harvey Wrote: SLIPPERY....but in GermanBiggrin

Sehr witzig! (Glatt, oder Rutschig) und wahr (true)

39 3,919
 09-24-2014, 07:47 PM
User Info
I think it's called too-shallow-rococo

7 315
 09-24-2014, 08:29 PM
User Info
Sounds like somewhat of a consensus on preferring something grippier! The corresponding EJ's seem just as bad (if better priced), especially the one with no pattern. My first shave with the R89 went well as far as feeling like it was firmly in my hand...though I was rinsing the lather off as i went.

I still am curious about the name if anyone comes across it or happens to know.

15 145
 09-24-2014, 08:37 PM
User Info
I wish I knew the name. I kind of like the handle, actually, but yes, I do wish it were grippier. Still, I haven't in fact slipped with it, I've just felt less secure. Likewise with the EJ (Barley or lined) handles.

In contrast, the new Parker 24c handle, in the words of Bob Dylan, ain't goin' nowhere.

7 315
 09-24-2014, 09:33 PM
User Info
Quote:In contrast, the new Parker 24c handle, in the words of Bob Dylan, ain't goin' nowhere.

The only way you're getting more grip than that is with weightlifting straps.

BTW. What is the easiest way to go about quoting another post? I pretty much had to do this one by hand. I would think there must be a more straight forward way. If there's a more appropriate place to ask this, please point me in that direction. Thanks.

15 145
 09-25-2014, 01:00 AM
User Info
The general word in German is rändelung...is that what you're looking for, or is it something more particular?

8 916
 09-25-2014, 04:15 AM
User Info
(09-24-2014, 09:33 PM)Technium Wrote: ...<snip>
BTW. What is the easiest way to go about quoting another post? I pretty much had to do this one by hand. I would think there must be a more straight forward way. If there's a more appropriate place to ask this, please point me in that direction. Thanks.
Click the bubble next to "reply", then click "reply" under the post you want to quote.

At least... I think so. If this post worked.

7 315
 09-25-2014, 09:17 AM
User Info
Thank you. Yes...I did run across a description of the razor somewhere that I believe had a name for the specific sort of pattern or style of knurling on the handle. When I look at it the design on there it is complex enough that now I wonder if it even is knurling. Almost looks like stuff I've seen done with laser on other materials.

I don't want to waste anyone's time on this. I just thought it might be something that one of you more experienced shavers might have happened to come across.

(09-25-2014, 01:00 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: The general word in German is rändelung...is that what you're looking for, or is it something more particular?

15 145
 09-25-2014, 10:13 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
(09-24-2014, 05:11 PM)Harvey Wrote: SLIPPERY....but in German
That is too funny! But quite true.

2 286
 10-17-2014, 04:07 PM
User Info
[Image: Leq1S36.jpg]

I've since learned from my father who logged some years as a machinist a Boeng that the handle is not knurled at all. Knurling refers to the process of rolling a pattern into the metal, not to the resulting pattern itself. Detail as precise as in this handle is cut away (though I'm still after the name of that process). It is beautiful when magnified a bit more than in this pic. I'm really surprised they don't depict the close up more in their advertising like fine watchmakers do with guilloche on their dials. It looks like overlapping waves on the beach just before the recede, Even in this pic it doesn't quite capture what I saw through the magnifying glass where I could roll it as I looked. Each of those little waves is a precise smidgen taller than the next one. They almost resemble overlapping scales on a reptile.

As I mentioned on another thread I'm getting the new EJ diamond cut handle which will be easier to hold onto. Even though I love this Muhle pattern close up, in daily use I still find it a bit sparkly for my taste. As I mentioned, for me the Muhle r89 is fine to hang onto even when wet. But if I get lather on my hand, it feels like it could easily slip. No problem to rinse it off periodically when I've got the time. Not so good when I need a less leisurely paced shave. On the other hand, aesthetically I like where Muhle has the band with their name at the bottom of the handle as opposed to the EJs who put them above the pattern. I think the Muhle sets it off better...nice contrast.

15 145