09-27-2014, 05:34 AM
User Info
Hello all,

I used the Bayolea soap this morning for the first time with my Wiborg two band. I have been gravitating towards this brush lately and have really dialed in how to get the best lather from it. I have Sartorial soap as well and am very familiar with its qualities. I am a face latherer.

My top soaps:

Mystic Water
Czech & Speake 88
D.R. Harris lavender stick

Yes, Sartorial is not in that list. The best things about Sartorial are the marketing/packaging, scent strength (strong), and that it gives me an uncommonly close shave. The worst things about it are that it is noticeably less protective than my favorites, yielding a shave that is sometimes too close, and leaves my skin feeling a bit tweaked and not as moisturized as the best options.

In another early thread on Bayolea soap, Penhaligon's "confirmed" that Bayolea is the same as Sartorial performance wise. This is not a good thing.

My impressions of Bayolea vs. Sartorial:

CONS of Bayolea

- Box not as well-designed. Looks amateurish. Bowl of lower quality, though perhaps this is just sample variation.
- Weaker scent.

PROS of Bayolea

- This is a better lather. Shaves close like Sartorial but protects better. Doesn't leave my face twinged or dry.
- Lather is more stable and glossier.

Is Bayolea a top tier soap? Just maybe. It is disturbing that Penhaligon's thinks this is the same stuff as Sartorial. It is not. It is a lot better. For me a 9/10 vs 8/10 for Sartorial.

The Bayolea is on the left in the pic.

[Image: kDQHdmr.jpg]

Best,

Ntrnwu

1 255
 09-27-2014, 05:48 AM
User Info
Thanks for the impressions, I've been curious about this one.

10 2,062
 09-27-2014, 06:57 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Very interesting observations, thanks for sharing! Now I'm more tempted to try it myself...Biggrin

34 1,628
 09-27-2014, 10:32 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I received mine on Thursday but haven't tried it yet, I will add my impressions here soon. I can say I am impressed with the scent bit I will dice into that with my review.

139 2,677
 09-27-2014, 10:47 AM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
Thank you for comments. I have been ery interested in this soap, currently I se MdC so I was wondering how it might compare to that soap.

2 479
 09-27-2014, 11:42 AM
User Info
Thanks for your short oprecise review.

I will buy this in the next couple of months time.

Anyone tried the new Penhaligon Bayolea shaving cream ?

24 5,841
 09-27-2014, 11:51 AM
User Info
I read somewhere the cream not very good performer...
Maybe over on one of the other forums
Here you go : http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread....-s-Bayolea

0 875
 09-27-2014, 06:54 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
Used mine for the first time. Very easy to lather. Doesn't take any special treatment to get a wonderfully slick and protective lather.

The smell is just fantastic. I'm not letting this one go!

10 753
 09-27-2014, 07:30 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(09-27-2014, 10:47 AM)Jovan Wrote: Thank you for comments. I have been ery interested in this soap, currently I se MdC so I was wondering how it might compare to that soap.

It certainly smells way better. Biggrin

46 18,076
 09-27-2014, 07:43 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
I wouldn't say way better, but I do prefer the Pens scent to the MdC by a slim margin.

The Bayolea is more "manly", complex and spicy scented with just the right amount of sweet. It is an absolute winner in both scent and performance!

10 753
 09-28-2014, 03:02 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Thanks for this direct comparison, I have (and quite like) the Sartorial, and I've been curious about this one.

26 4,895
 09-29-2014, 08:38 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have used the Bayolea soap for the last two shaves and am satisfied with my purchase. The box is the most modern design that I have seen come from Penhaligons, however it doesn't present itself as a high-end product. I feel the same way about the bowl itself, the dark stained bowl with screen printed logo just seems to be lacking a little bit of class, the current Blenheim Bouquet bowl (on the Pens website) looks a bit classier and I wish they would have followed suit with this offering.

Removing the lid from the bowl, I was surprised to see no imprint on the soap at all, but then I caught my first whiff of the new scent. The citrusy mandarin note was the first to hit me followed immediately by a soft floral note. Penhaligons mention lavender, but I'm quite positive this was a more traditional floral than the herbaceous lavender scent I am used to. Rather than standing there trying to detect all the complex notes I went ahead and put a little water on top of the puck while I prepped for the shave.

Loading my Dr. Dittmar two-band brush for about a minute (my standard load time for triple-milled soaps) I noticed that the proto-lather was a bit foamy, reminiscent of the previous formula Blenheim Bouquet that I also own. Although I am able to get a decent lather out of the BB, it isn't an effortless operation and one that I was a little concerned that I would be experiencing yet again with the Bayolea. Taking my loaded brush to my face and proceeding to build the lather I was put at ease as it worked quickly into a nice smooth texture. The aroma remains intriguing, almost distracting me from the job at hand. The notes are all at play with the additional water worked in: citrus, floral and mild wood scents all become detectable and then hide as another note is detected. This lather did not develop into a thick yogurt-like texture but more along the lines of egg whites that have been whipped to firm peaks, leaving behind a thin layer when painted on.

Wielding my RazoRock SS Slant (thanks again Josh!) loaded with a Bolzano blade I proceed with the first pass. The lather is slick, but I can definitely detect the blade and there is very little residual slickness left behind. I know I must be careful about blade buffing and going back over a spot without reapplying lather first. However I manage to get through my first pass without any sign of the lather drying out. The second lathering goes on even thinner and even though I know I could easily make it a thicker layer by grabbing some of the excess off the side of the brush I want to see how durable this lather really is. Although this thin layer did seem to dissipate a bit during the second pass, it did remain slick in all spots, giving me zero problems. I put the third pass on thick by taking all the lather on the sides of the brush and rubbing it on my face and proceeding to work it again with the brush tips. Final ATG pass proved that this lather is more than capable and provides great glide without any irritation.

Conclusions:

I really think Penhaligons nailed this scent and is one of the only scents from this house that I would consider to be aimed at a younger generation. While I enjoy the English Fern, Blenheim Bouquet and Opus, these are scents that I would only wear to very special occasions and feel they are over done for my business-casual daily wear. The Sartorial was way too mature for me and was sequestered after only one test spray. This Bayolea, on the other hand, is something I think could be worn year round to just about any event. I do plan on purchasing a bottle of the EdT and hope that it matches the pleasant scent of the shaving soap.

Performance is much improved over the previous generation Blenheim Bouquet that I own, but not at the top of the pack. Although I have never tried the tallow Penhaligons I imagine it would perform similarly to my tallow Trumper and Floris soaps which is leaps and bounds above anything coming out of England these days. However, in comparison to the other big house products from the UK, this Pens is probably my pick of the litter. DR Harris is in the mix (and a hands down winner when price is taken into consideration), Floris is just a tiny tick back with their modern formula (another group of fragrances I can't pull off), and then the three Ts are back a ways struggling to find their way back.

139 2,677
 09-29-2014, 10:55 AM
User Info
Thanks for adding your impressions, grantmm and blzrfn.

Since the comparison with MdC came up (which I have never tried, incidentally), this got me thinking about how Bayolea stacks up versus other "veggie" soaps. My top three are all tallow based, and even if I expanded that list into a second tier, it is still tallow:

Barrister & Mann tallow
Strop Shoppe special edition (tallow, lanolin, shea)
Valobra hard soap (aka C&S)

How then does Bayolea compare with my preferred veggie soaps? Very well indeed. For me it outranks:

LA Shaving Soap
Razorock XX soap

I hope this helps.

1 255
 09-30-2014, 07:55 AM
User Info
I wanted to post a couple of lather shots from this morning (WSP Mountain Manchurian--amazing brush):

[Image: 3HMFlX2.jpg]
[Image: ageZsx6.jpg]

Cheers,

Ntrnwu

1 255
 09-05-2015, 09:30 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
A couple nice reviews so far.  Anyone else try this yet?

57 2,546
 09-06-2015, 04:09 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Have yet to try mine, but I believe the performance will be similar to Sartorial - I just find the latter to have a classier and more refined scent.

26 4,895
 09-06-2015, 06:31 AM
User Info
I have this soap.
I love the scent, not too weak for me.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 MI PAD 發送

2 121
 09-12-2015, 08:44 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(09-06-2015, 06:31 AM)s869010 Wrote: I have this soap.
I love the scent, not too weak for me.

Thanks for your opinion. What scent notes prevail, to your nose?

57 2,546
 09-12-2015, 11:24 PM
User Info
Citrus scent I think.

2 121